4.10's and 35's

JohnnyD

I have a 2014 2 door rubi with 35's and 410. It is totally fine. Also running heavy toyos, 105lb a wheel. I got all the pull in the world off-road. She only downshifts at 75-80 on looooong hills, even then it's only up to about 3k.

Switching to 35's definitely lost some gumshin but not enough to necessitate a change.....yet lol

Flynlo

I have a 2014 2 door rubi with 35's and 410. It is totally fine. Also running heavy toyos, 105lb a wheel. I got all the pull in the world off-road. She only downshifts at 75-80 on looooong hills, even then it's only up to about 3k.

Switching to 35's definitely lost some gumshin but not enough to necessitate a change.....yet lol

^ Good to hear. I think the weight difference between the 4 doors and 2 doors makes a big difference. Is yours a manual as well? I'm keeping my JK as light as possible. Stubby stock bumper, soft-top, synthetic winch line when I get a winch and a skinny wife. :rock:

JohnnyD

^ Good to hear. I think the weight difference between the 4 doors and 2 doors makes a big difference. Is yours a manual as well? I'm keeping my JK as light as possible. Stubby stock bumper, soft-top, synthetic winch line when I get a winch and a skinny wife. :rock:

I'm an auto, yes weight plays a roll, especially revolving weight, I got a chance to run a buddies rubi 2013 2 door auto 2.5" lift, basically same as mine but he choose the km2 , big difference but again not enough to justify a change to me...yet lol

lulu2533

X2.
I have a '13 JKUR with 4.10's, 35's(Nittos), steel bumper, skids. I do alot of highway driving and it has been fine.
When I go to 37's I will look into a regear but not until then :)

CCTX50

X2.
I have a '13 JKUR with 4.10's, 35's(Nittos), steel bumper, skids. I do alot of highway driving and it has been fine.
When I go to 37's I will look into a regear but not until then :)

What kind of mileage are you getting?

Tree Frog

2013 JKUR auto 4.10 gears with 35 inch KM 2's getting about 15 MPG's with hills and as good as 17 on the flat land. Normally don't drive much over 70.
I have plenty of power both on and off road. Of course I don't know the difference as to what a lower gear range would feel like in this rig.

Cruise at 70 at about 2400 RPM's
Small hills will drop down one gear to around 3000 will maintain 70 fine and the really steep stuff goes down another gear and turns right at 4000 RPM at 70.

One time I was pulling a hill and a big truck tried to put me into the wall so I stuffed it hard and it down shifted to some gear that I was turning at least 5000. I know they have a 6- 6500 redline but that sounded like it was wound up pretty tight.

I would think you will be fine with 4.10's for a good while. If they are already in the new axle set then I see no reason to change now. However as stated if you plan on going to 37's or larger then yeah get it done.

TheStick

I've been running 4.10's with 35's for 2 years now. Like others said if you are spending to re-gear it wouldn't be worth it, but it does just fine, and I'm in hill/mountain territory.

Having the 4:1 TC for off-road helps a lot.

rob_p

I'm running 2011 4dr 3.8 Manual with 35"s and 4.10, certainly I can tell the difference but really not that big of a deal.

I'll be running these gears while I have 35's

I've been running 4.10's with 35's for 2 years now. Like others said if you are spending to re-gear it wouldn't be worth it, but it does just fine, and I'm in hill/mountain territory.

Having the 4:1 TC for off-road helps a lot.

I agree I have a 2012 2 door Rubicon with an automatic trans, 4.10s and 35x12.50x17 Nitto trail Grapplers on AEV Savegre wheels (this is a heavy wheel tire combo) and the Jeep drives great. I have tunned it with a Superchips Flashpaq to adjust shift points and tire OD. I used the 87 Octane tune and I average about 15.5 mpg. I have after market steel bumpers with a winch up front and a tire carrier in the back. I also run a hard top.

I don't have any problems with power offroad either but as TheStick said, the Rubicon 4:1 transfercase probably helps a lot there.

quickc6

I have a 2 door JK with 35 inch tires and 4.10s drove it that way for 3 months. With the aftermarket bumpers, armor, wheels, and steal flared finders. The jeep was getting pretty heavy. I switched to 4.88s. Didn't realize the acceleration I had lost. You won't know until you switch what your missing. By the way I'm getting 15 mpg. Your jeep your choices. Good luck

Eezybreezy08

I have 4.88 with 35 on my 08. And I can watch the gas disappear on the highway. City streets I'm good but I do a mixture of driving. My wife has a 14 and we are fixing to put 37 on hers. So I'm trying to figure out whether to go 4:88 or 4:56 but I will definitely not be putting in 5:13 cause of the gas on the highway and what I have seen with my 08. So keep doing your research, listen to all of there opinions but figure out what you think you will be wanting to do the most as far as your driving and wheeling is concerned

ak49

My previous setup was 35's, 4.10 (rubicon), auto, 3.6, 4 door. I found them to be alright, however, I think 4:88's would've been a better fit. If I had 3.73's or 3.21's, I would go 4.56 or 4.88 before I'd go 4.10's

JW_Rubicon

I started out with 4.10's in my '12 and a manual tranny. After lots of research and looking over the chart that's listed earlier in this post, And reading lots of advice from folks on here, I decided to go with 4.88's. I also have winch, front bumper, and rear tire carrier mods and feel the power and mileage with the 4.88's is decent, getting 16-ish or so. Have looked into the Edelbrock supercharger to get a little additional hp and torque but haven't decided to pull the trigger on that mod just yet.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Let me tell you what I know... My auto 2014 JKUR came stock with 4.10s; I lived in FL at the time. Moved up to 35" pretty quickly, and had no problems at 14' elevation. Decided to move to CO in July of this year and began to fret over the combination of our new location (approx. 8000' elevation) and my gears/tires. Upon arrival, my wife's Japanese car (with Premium Fuel requirements) definitely lacked power at our new location, however my Jeep really had no appreciable difference in drivability. Although 4.10s and 35s worked for me in significantly different environments, I will definitely re-gear once my KM2s are spent and I move up a size or two.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Have you run this setup? 3.6l, 4.10's and 35's?

Aaron,

I ran 4.10s and 35s for about a year. Since I live 20 min from you I can tell you around here its totally doable given terrain. Assuming you have an auto, If you are heading up I75 you will drop to 4th on some of the hills if going 75-80 mph. Some of the bigger grades you will occasionally drop to third but not very often. If you lived in the mountains it would be rougher but around here in MI its fine.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have a 3.6 with 4.10 and 35" (manual). I think it is acceptable in town but not a whole lot of fun on the highway. I have to downshift on every hill.

^^^X2^^^ My plan was to go 4:88's and stick with 35's but I changed my mind and want 37's now so I'll be going to 5:13's when I do.

Last edited:

aaronstephen

Aaron,

I ran 4.10s and 35s for about a year. Since I live 20 min from you I can tell you around here its totally doable given terrain. Assuming you have an auto, If you are heading up I75 you will drop to 4th on some of the hills if going 75-80 mph. Some of the bigger grades you will occasionally drop to third but not very often. If you lived in the mountains it would be rougher but around here in MI its fine.

I only drive 65-70. Lol. I guess I'll be fine

mikejr

My 2007 2dr 6sp had stock 4.10s and Nitto 35s.

It was a dog.... Couldn't get out of it's own way, passing was out of the question unless the run was downhill, and a maximum top speed of about 80MPH on flat ground.

That being said, I live in a very hilly area, and it was usable to the point that re-gearing wasn't a priority but something on the long list after other items. I think if I had the 3.6 it would have been a non-issue.

Top Bottom