4.56 vs 4.88 3.6 on 37s

Static83

I am running 37's with 5:13's with a PR44 up front and it's been awesome so far drives easy MPG @ high 16's that's with 70MPH on the HWY.

High 16's is pretty good, I'm hoping for 15-16 personally. The only thing that still has me on the fence is 75-80mph, which happens on the way to the trail fairly often and on the way to work (DD). Looking at the 3.6 RPM chart @ 70mph 4.88 with 37s (technically 36.75 is almost exactly the stock tires (31s) at 4.10 gears.

Thanks for all the input, I am somewhat leaning toward the 5.13 now, even the shop recommended it, but I was really looking for the balance between performance and gas mileage, even though its a jeep...

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
What are y'all's thoughts on 5.38 gears with 37s and a 3.8L?

Your gear teeth will be small and you run a higher risk of breaking them on the trail, especially if you love the skinny pedal. However, based on this chart it looks like it will be a good fit with your 3.8 and auto transmission.
gallery_2_46_206669.jpg

If you go through with it, remember that your ring and pinion are a weak point now.

JKsix

Your gear teeth will be small and you run a higher risk of breaking them on the trail, especially if you love the skinny pedal. However, based on this chart it looks like it will be a good fit with your 3.8 and auto transmission.
View attachment 151447

If you go through with it, remember that your ring and pinion are a weak point now.

Thanks for posting these! It's a jeep I am looking into purchasing and it's a stick, so by these charts the jeep is in the blue and good to go.

JRied

5.13 would be too much for a Dana 30 correct? I was set on 4.88 but I know I want 5.13 eventually. Have to dump these 3.21 gears. I don't plan on pr44 until this axle takes a shit...

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
5.13 would be too much for a Dana 30 correct? I was set on 4.88 but I know I want 5.13 eventually. Have to dump these 3.21 gears. I don't plan on pr44 until this axle takes a shit...

Yeah, 5.13s aren't going to end well unfortunately in a D30. Stick with the 4.88s.

Sithwindu

While it is not recommended, ill be probably going this route, I don't want to spend money twice. I plan on getting a pr44 as well once my 30 hits rock bottom lol

If you do happen to go this route DO NOT lock the front.

Spudcannons

Don't regear until you get the pr44 you will be better off saving it for the pr44. 1k regear for the front is about 20% or a pr44

Top Bottom