4.56 vs 4.88

Irish Pirate

What do you have? What do you like? I'm putting in a new D44. Gearing is between the 4.56 and 4.88. Obviously the 4.88 means more power. But is there really that much difference.

Yes, I will be off road. Most of my driving will be in the city going to work (gotta pay for this jeep some how).

I'm moving to Arizona soon so I will be on the interstate too exploring the are.

I need good gas mileage but I want the power to pass or climb over small obstacles.

I'm running a 4 inch lift with 35 X 12.5 tires on a 2001 TJ Sport.

The front end will remain a stock D30 but I will re-gear it

What do you think ...? 4.56 or4.88? What are your thoughts???

While we are on the subject, should I re-gear the front D30 the same or do a different gear

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What do you have? What do you like? I'm putting in a new D44. Gearing is between the 4.56 and 4.88. Obviously the 4.88 means more power. But is there really that much difference.

Yes, I will be off road. Most of my driving will be in the city going to work (gotta pay for this jeep some how).

I'm moving to Arizona soon so I will be on the interstate too exploring the are.

I need good gas mileage but I want the power to pass or climb over small obstacles.

I'm running a 4 inch lift with 35 X 12.5 tires on a 2001 TJ Sport.

The front end will remain a stock D30 but I will re-gear it

What do you think ...? 4.56 or4.88? What are your thoughts???

While we are on the subject, should I re-gear the front D30 the same or do a different gear

Always gear the front to the same ratio. As far is what is better for a tj on 35's I don't know, sorry

t8er

I've got a buddy with a TJ on 35's with 4.88 gears. It's an 02 so he has the 3spd auto. If you have a 3 speed auto and it's a daily I'd actually say 4.10 maybe 4.56. At 60 mph he's over 3k rpm

t8er

Seperatly gear the front and rear the same. The only guys I know who regear the front differently do mud drags because they overdrive skinny narrow tires in the front for 250 feet thru a mud hole only.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I remember that with the TJ 4.56 was the good gear for 35's and yes the front and rear gear ratio should be the same.

nyglt56

I had 4.88s with my 5spd with 35s and avg around 18 hwy 16 city if I remember correctly. Wheeled often too, I thought 4.88s+35 was an awesome combo. Even had enough torque to carry the 37s.

Irish Pirate

I had 4.88s with my 5spd with 35s and avg around 18 hwy 16 city if I remember correctly. Wheeled often too, I thought 4.88s+35 was an awesome combo. Even had enough torque to carry the 37s.

That's awesome to hear. I do plan on going with 37 or 39 somewhere down the road

suicideking

Mine has 4.56 on 35's put in by the previous owner and is a 6 speed. It's not bad, but I would've done 4.88 or 5.13. As others have mentioned, definitely want the same gear ratio front and rear.

Irish Pirate

Mine has 4.56 on 35's put in by the previous owner and is a 6 speed. It's not bad, but I would've done 4.88 or 5.13. As others have mentioned, definitely want the same gear ratio front and rear.

Fair enough. But why? Obviously it's more power. But what about the 4.56 is not good enough for you? For your set up, what makes a 4.88 a better option?

suicideking

Fair enough. But why? Obviously it's more power. But what about the 4.56 is not good enough for you? For your set up, what makes a 4.88 a better option?

Mine is not a DD, so low end torque is the highest priority. It's really not enough of a difference to change it. However, I had a problem with my front diff -- the PO didn't set up the gears correctly. It may fail eventually. If it does and I need new gears up front, will probably go to 4.88 or 5.13 and do the rear too.

Going lower will also make a transition smoother if you go to a larger tire. I have 35's now, but may go to a 37 or 40 eventually. I won't be able to do that with my D30 though. Will probably end up with a Currie 60.

Best advice I've ever gotten regarding gears: Figure out what gears you need, then go one lower. I always talk to people that regret not going lower. Don't think I've ever heard someone say they should've gone higher. Might make sense for a DD.

I do have the 241 TC, so it's not bad with 4.56.

Irish Pirate

Mine is not a DD, so low end torque is the highest priority. It's really not enough of a difference to change it. However, I had a problem with my front diff -- the PO didn't set up the gears correctly. It may fail eventually. If it does and I need new gears up front, will probably go to 4.88 or 5.13 and do the rear too.

Going lower will also make a transition smoother if you go to a larger tire. I have 35's now, but may go to a 37 or 40 eventually. I won't be able to do that with my D30 though. Will probably end up with a Currie 60.

Best advice I've ever gotten regarding gears: Figure out what gears you need, then go one lower. I always talk to people that regret not going lower. Don't think I've ever heard someone say they should've gone higher. Might make sense for a DD.

I do have the 241 TC, so it's not bad with 4.56.

That's awesome. Thank you for the info. That's great advice about going one lower. I'm putting on 35's but plan on something bigger in a couple years.

I was looking at Curries last night. I like them.

Riley Moss

On 33's with 4.88s are my rpms gonna be through the roof? I have a 6 speed manual so I'm wondering if anyone has had the same set up

Riley Moss

That's the plan. We are swapping dads rubi axles that are geared at 4.88 into my sport but I'm only running 33's at the moment.

Top Bottom