4 or 5 tire rotation...???

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm going to do 5 simply because I already want 37's so there is no point in trying to save the spare for the next round.:yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm going to do 5 simply because I already want 37's so there is no point in trying to save the spare for the next round.:yup:

yea i want 35's next time around instead of these 32's so i would like to do 5 rotation as well but dont want to do any damage since im 10,000 miles in on my 4 now and the 5th never used. i hope it doesnt do any damage.....:thinking::idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
yea i want 35's next time around instead of these 32's so i would like to do 5 rotation as well but dont want to do any damage since im 10,000 miles in on my 4 now and the 5th never used. i hope it doesnt do any damage.....:thinking::idontknow:

You will be fine.

MTG

Caught the Bug

Do 4 and they'll wear out faster and you can sell your new spare to offset the cost of 5 new ones. :thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
Just thinking out load here, but if a 5 tire rotation was a big deal, wouldn't passenger cars have a fifth to "rotate in?" A "spare" in that sense is to be used as a temp replacement while you replace/repair the damaged wheel it's replacing. I'm also guessing you could go through two rounds of new tires, before your spared aged out. This vs the extra 9-12 months by rotating in your spare, then your getting all five for sure.

Seems there is no right answer, just how you want to run and what you want your spare to look like? Not sure I'd want a rashed up spare back there all the time. :crazyeyes:

Prime8

Just thinking out load here, but if a 5 tire rotation was a big deal, wouldn't passenger cars have a fifth to "rotate in?" A "spare" in that sense is to be used as a temp replacement while you replace/repair the damaged wheel it's replacing. I'm also guessing you could go through two rounds of new tires, before your spared aged out. This vs the extra 9-12 months by rotating in your spare, then your getting all five for sure.

Seems there is no right answer, just how you want to run and what you want your spare to look like? Not sure I'd want a rashed up spare back there all the time. :crazyeyes:

You'd rather have a rashed up tire under your vehicle?

rtguy1

Lol. The spare tires you are referring to are not considered "full size" spares and therefore do not get rotated in with a five tire rotation. This is only done on vehicles with full size matching spare tires, not the puny little donut spares that don't allow speeds in excess of like 50mph and are only for emergency and temporary use.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

The only difference between a passenger car spare and ours is that ours is a full size exposed to the sun and elements all the time so it needs to be driven on (from how it sounds from everyone on here) as where a passenger one is stricktly a temp and sits in the trunk hidden from the elements. so a 5 tires roation seems better. just my :twocents: on how i see it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I think what all you 5 tire rotation fan boys are missing is this...

It looks soooo much better having a new wheel and tire riding on the back of your jeep! Who wants an ol' beat up worn down tire back there while crawling the malls? :idontknow:

Seriously, you all need to spend a little more time thinking these things through. :crazyeyes:

:cheesy:

Prime8

I think what all you 5 tire rotation fan boys are missing is this...

It looks soooo much better having a new wheel and tire riding on the back of your jeep! Who wants an ol' beat up worn down tire back there while crawling the malls? :idontknow:

Seriously, you all need to spend a little more time thinking these things through. :crazyeyes:

:cheesy:

Haha, true. I'll stick with a 4 tire rotation then... Hahahahaha ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Except passenger cars have donuts and not 35+ inch tires.

JAGS

Hooked
The only difference between a passenger car spare and ours is that ours is a full size exposed to the sun and elements all the time so it needs to be driven on (from how it sounds from everyone on here) as where a passenger one is stricktly a temp and sits in the trunk hidden from the elements. so a 5 tires roation seems better. just my :twocents: on how i see it.

Except passenger cars have donuts and not 35+ inch tires.

I said I was thinking out load geesh. So quick to be mean. :crazyeyes: And for the record, many cars, suvs and light trucks now have full size spares, just on a cheaper wheel. My wifes suv has a full size 235 or 245 spare. We won't be rotating that in though. :cheesy:

Anyways, I also noted what MTG said. Don't want my spare looking all ratted. I also park my car in the structure at the mall, so it doesn't get much sun. ;)

Skirmish

I scuff my spare with sand paper and put yellow paint marks on it so people think I crawl over parking stops and curbs. Don't tell anyone though.

suicideking

I do a 5 tire rotation. As mentioned, I figure they should all have the same wear on them.

Plus, I don't like the look of a brand new tire on the back. I rotated a little early just to put the 5th brand new one in use. :D:D

I also figure there's a chance I may move to 37" when it's time to replace my 35's so might as well use all of them. If not, I'll take the best tire of the 5 and make it the spare. At that point, would move to a 4 tire rotation.

greggnj

I do the five tire rotation also. Will be switching to a different tire when they wear out so no sense having a brand new spare.

Also, if you're doing your own tire rotation in the driveway like me, you only need one jack to do a five tire rotation...

Top Bottom