$48,000 tow bill......

CarolinaJK

Well, time to quit college. All I need to do is become a towing supervisor for this company and I'm set for life [emoji23]

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
This is why you don't wheel alone on private property.

As to the price.. I wasn't there so I can't comment on it. Anyone in the towing industry have any insight?

I've wheeled in places where its very easy to go from public to private property, especially in places with electric towers that could be 100 miles into the desert/wilderness.

KingCopperhead

I've wheeled in places where its very easy to go from public to private property, especially in places with electric towers that could be 100 miles into the desert/wilderness.

Nobody is perfect. But this guy was on private land and intoxicated. Sorry, I don't feel bad for him. The tow bill is a joke, but people like him are the reason WE have very few legal places to wheel on the east coast.

That being said, the difference between someone like you, who does their due diligence when going out alone, and someone who gets shit faced and buries his xj on private land is vast.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Nobody is perfect. But this guy was on private land and intoxicated. Sorry, I don't feel bad for him. The tow bill is a joke, but people like him are the reason WE have very few legal places to wheel on the east coast.

That being said, the difference between someone like you, who does their due diligence when going out alone, and someone who gets shit faced and buries his xj on private land is vast.

I didn't know the dude was sh!tfaced...I must have missed that. To me it sounded like him and his girl were just driving around and accidentally got stuck in a mudpit near some power towers....kind of like we have in the Pine Barrens.

KingCopperhead

I didn't know the dude was sh!tfaced...I must have missed that. To me it sounded like him and his girl were just driving around and accidentally got stuck in a mudpit near some power towers....kind of like we have in the Pine Barrens.

Ya know I just re read the article about it and it didn't say anything about him being drunk. I might have read that on the Facebook. (not the best source of info lol)

Either way, after living in other parts of the country where there's plenty of legal places to off road, and currently being in NY where there's virtually nowhere...and likely never will be. People who trespass kind of hit a nerve with me. I don't think the 48k bill is justified, but the fact that he "didn't know" he was on private land isn't a valid excuse.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ya know I just re read the article about it and it didn't say anything about him being drunk. I might have read that on the Facebook. (not the best source of info lol)

Either way, after living in other parts of the country where there's plenty of legal places to off road, and currently being in NY where there's virtually nowhere...and likely never will be. People who trespass kind of hit a nerve with me. I don't think the 48k bill is justified, but the fact that he "didn't know" he was on private land isn't a valid excuse.

This may not be the case everywhere, but being on a group run that was led by a member of this forum (and getting stopped by a ranger during the run) I can tell you it isn't that easy to know when something becomes not only private property, but property you can't drive on. In the pine barrens, you can be on the park road, and that road will all of the sudden run on PSEG property (around the tower)....it isn't fenced off or anything like that. Also, all of the sudden, when I got stuck in some mud, the ranger went on a power trip saying how he can cite me for driving into "protected wetlands." Meanwhile, there are no signs or anything...all 3 things are part of the same road....that was my one and only Pine Barrens run ever (fvcking huge waste of time) but I saw how easy it is to accidentally roll through "private property."

KingCopperhead

This may not be the case everywhere, but being on a group run that was led by a member of this forum (and getting stopped by a ranger during the run) I can tell you it isn't that easy to know when something becomes not only private property, but property you can't drive on. In the pine barrens, you can be on the park road, and that road will all of the sudden run on PSEG property (around the tower)....it isn't fenced off or anything like that. Also, all of the sudden, when I got stuck in some mud, the ranger went on a power trip saying how he can cite me for driving into "protected wetlands." Meanwhile, there are no signs or anything...all 3 things are part of the same road....that was my one and only Pine Barrens run ever (fvcking huge waste of time) but I saw how easy it is to accidentally roll through "private property."
Brutal, sounds like somewhere I'd rather not go.

Wardell

I've been seeing this story all over the internet. It seems like every offroading page on Facebook has had it up. From some of what I've read it seems the tow truck company (Assured Collision Inc.) is doing some very shady business... and not just when it comes to the bill.

From the sounds of it, the people working at the tow company go offroading in the same area all the time, regardless of the fact that it's illegal and the power lines are private property. They have a few pictures of other recoveries near power lines on their Facebook page, along with a few RZRs with their company name painted on them. Those seem like awfully nice toys for a tow company to have, but not something that could really be used to recover anything other than a quad or another side by side.

There's a rumour that the tow truck company owner's daughter was out ripping around with a few friends and happened upon the stuck XJ. She called the cops to report that the Jeeper and his girlfriend were trespassing, then called her dad. I'm not sure how true that is, but it sounds plausible to me considering the pics on their Facebook page.

The Jeeper had posted on Facebook that he needed someone to come out to give him a tow, and had called a few people for help before his cell phone died. It sounds like someone was on the way to help too, but the cops got there first and he was arrested.

I'm not sure if the police then called the tow truck company, or they just kinda showed up. It does sound like they could have been the on call towing service for the police to use, but I'm willing to bet they got there awfully quickly. Either way, the Jeeper didn't call them, and since he had been arrested, he really couldn't do much to dispute the way they were going about the recovery.

It's really hard to believe that it took 7 people with all that equipment 12 hours to get the XJ out of there. In the updated news story, they mention that the photos don't accurately reflect where or how badly the Jeep was stuck. Apparently they had posted their own photo with this caption on their facebook page, but it looks like it was taken down. I wish someone had taken a screen shot of it. The news hasn't shown their pic even though they mention it, so it would be interesting to see how credible it looks:

LOOK real close, to my many great friends, this IS the Jeep that was on news. the picture that was used was not a picture from the actual recovery scene. It was from a jeep forum when he was stuck in another area of the powerlines, The Jeep at the actual recovery scene was nearly standing upright on its nose buried in a hole not a puddle.. More pictures will be released soon. Fox 25 Shame..My turn !

Also, it seems that the Massachusetts towing association is calling bullshit on the amount he's being billed for:

One day after our story aired, the Statewide Towing Association sent FOX25 a statement saying, "Although Statewide Towing Association has not had a chance to review the actual invoice, the rates quoted in the news article appear to be significantly in excess of the industry standard."

While Assured Collision charged $1,250 an hour for an on-site supervisor, the association says the industry average is between $175-$325 an hour.

The association says they have never heard of dangerous condition liability insurance, which Ramer was billed $5,000 for.

They also said line by line equipment should have been included with trucks, but it was billed separately.

Anyway, from the pics and the reported damaged, it seems 7 people including a very overpriced supervisor are too dumb to know how to pull him out by his rear receiver hitch rather than his rear axle. I think that explains the broken leaf spring, drive shaft and bent body (which doesn't have a frame).

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I've been seeing this story all over the internet. It seems like every offroading page on Facebook has had it up. From some of what I've read it seems the tow truck company (Assured Collision Inc.) is doing some very shady business... and not just when it comes to the bill.

From the sounds of it, the people working at the tow company go offroading in the same area all the time, regardless of the fact that it's illegal and the power lines are private property. They have a few pictures of other recoveries near power lines on their Facebook page, along with a few RZRs with their company name painted on them. Those seem like awfully nice toys for a tow company to have, but not something that could really be used to recover anything other than a quad or another side by side.

There's a rumour that the tow truck company owner's daughter was out ripping around with a few friends and happened upon the stuck XJ. She called the cops to report that the Jeeper and his girlfriend were trespassing, then called her dad. I'm not sure how true that is, but it sounds plausible to me considering the pics on their Facebook page.

The Jeeper had posted on Facebook that he needed someone to come out to give him a tow, and had called a few people for help before his cell phone died. It sounds like someone was on the way to help too, but the cops got there first and he was arrested.

I'm not sure if the police then called the tow truck company, or they just kinda showed up. It does sound like they could have been the on call towing service for the police to use, but I'm willing to bet they got there awfully quickly. Either way, the Jeeper didn't call them, and since he had been arrested, he really couldn't do much to dispute the way they were going about the recovery.

It's really hard to believe that it took 7 people with all that equipment 12 hours to get the XJ out of there. In the updated news story, they mention that the photos don't accurately reflect where or how badly the Jeep was stuck. Apparently they had posted their own photo with this caption on their facebook page, but it looks like it was taken down. I wish someone had taken a screen shot of it. The news hasn't shown their pic even though they mention it, so it would be interesting to see how credible it looks:

Also, it seems that the Massachusetts towing association is calling bullshit on the amount he's being billed for:

Anyway, from the pics and the reported damaged, it seems 7 people including a very overpriced supervisor are too dumb to know how to pull him out by his rear receiver hitch rather than his rear axle. I think that explains the broken leaf spring, drive shaft and bent body (which doesn't have a frame).

What did the girls look like?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
For $48k you could hire a medium lift helicopter to come sling load the Jeep out of the mud, and still have a bunch of money left over.

Jk909

This happened to my cousin and I when we were teens on a road trip up to Canada. When the tow truck driver showed up with the crane we explained that we were broke kids and offered 200$ to tell his boss he couldn't find us. He took us up on that offer and saved our asses with his little crane. 48k is robbery lol

Wethy

This happened to my cousin and I when we were teens on a road trip up to Canada. When the tow truck driver showed up with the crane we explained that we were broke kids and offered 200$ to tell his boss he couldn't find us. He took us up on that offer and saved our asses with his little crane. 48k is robbery lol

Ha ha he probably said he was sorry too ha ha

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I remember asking a tow truck operator in Silverton, CO (1976) how much to tow someone who broke on the numerous passes around the area. He said $150 to turn the key and a $ a mile in and out and that he had a good business all summer long. I think these guys in Boston found a way better one even allowing for inflation.:yup:

Top Bottom