8+ Hour Road Trip on 37’s

jeeeep

Hooked
I forgot to do an update of the trip! Everything worked perfectly for the most part! I need to figure out a way to either stiffen up my steering or something to make it so my Jeep doesn’t sway so much when driving in the wind. Any ideas are welcome. Also I did not expect to stop for gas as much as I did which makes me want a diesel swap a little more than an LS right now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

assuming you had your sway bar links still in place?

This is why i like adjusable shocks - i run the rancho 9000's and stiffen them up when loaded for travel to help keep the swaying under control but when loaded it's still a comfortable ride.

IMO the shocks seem better when under a load :idontknow:

Ddays

Hooked
I need to figure out a way to either stiffen up my steering or something to make it so my Jeep doesn’t sway so much when driving in the wind.

Stop and think - we drive lifted bricks! We have totally fucked up what little aerodynamics they came with from the factory by doing what we all do to the damn things. :cheesy: I know exactly what you're talking about - those crosswinds can be brutal. Drove through Wyoming during a storm a couple years ago with 40 mph crosswinds. It's white-knuckle time baby! :shock:

Attachments

• brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 152
Stop and think - we drive lifted bricks! We have totally fucked up what little aerodynamics they came with from the factory by doing what we all do to the damn things. :cheesy: I know exactly what you're talking about - those crosswinds can be brutal. Drove through Wyoming during a storm a couple years ago with 40 mph crosswinds. It's white-knuckle time baby! :shock:

Hahaha yeah very true. My passengers always complain that The Jeep sways when I drive but they never seem to complain when we go through snow drifts that are higher than my bumper [emoji848]

assuming you had your sway bar links still in place?

This is why i like adjusable shocks - i run the rancho 9000's and stiffen them up when loaded for travel to help keep the swaying under control but when loaded it's still a comfortable ride.

IMO the shocks seem better when under a load :idontknow:

This is definitely something to think about, I’m running ranchos 9000 xl’s so I’ll have to stiffen them up and see the difference!

wjtstudios

Hooked
This is definitely something to think about, I’m running ranchos 9000 xl’s so I’ll have to stiffen them up and see the difference!

Going to a long arm kit would help keep it stable at highway speeds to. Mine is going on soon. Others could chime in on how much of a difference it makes. It’s not going to help as much in the strong cross winds. But it keeps the jeep a lot more stable at speed.

Ddays

Hooked
Going to a long arm kit would help keep it stable at highway speeds to. Mine is going on soon. Others could chime in on how much of a difference it makes. It’s not going to help as much in the strong cross winds. But it keeps the jeep a lot more stable at speed.

It absolutely does. Not much you can do with the the wind pushing against you and getting under the vehicle pushing you around but the straight line stability is improved dramatically.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Hydro-Assist made a big difference running 70+mph down the highway. I pull a camper a lot too and it helps with that as well.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

A long arm suspension makes a big difference in keeping the jeep from wandering at high speeds. I noticed a big improvement when one was installed on my jeep. You may also want to check your caster setting on the front axle. If you have too little positive caster, your steering may feel flighty. Adjusting this measurement back to factory or near factory could help your issue. These adjustments won't turn your jeep into handling like a sports car but they will help overall.

A long arm suspension makes a big difference in keeping the jeep from wandering at high speeds. I noticed a big improvement when one was installed on my jeep. You may also want to check your caster setting on the front axle. If you have too little positive caster, your steering may feel flighty. Adjusting this measurement back to factory or near factory could help your issue. These adjustments won't turn your jeep into handling like a sports car but they will help overall.

What long arms do you guys suggest? And what all is needed?

Ddays

Hooked
I went with the EVO DD bolt on kit but had the brackets welded on. You can buy just the arm kit with the brackets less springs & DL flip, and all the other stuff you probably already have.
I looked at Currie, Clayton, EVO, and a couple others. Even though they have Johnny Joint ends, I really don't care for the radius arm style that Currie and Clayton make. The EVO DD kit is an 8 arm kit. http://www.evomfg.com/EVO-MFG-Produ...ent/EVO-MFG-Suspension-Systems?product_id=153

There are two styles of this kit - the standard one and the high clearance kit which requires some additional fabrication and is also used on the EVO Lever rear setup.

wjtstudios

Hooked

Thank you. I can’t wait to get it on. Getting the caster set right is part of the plan. It’s my daily drive and I put a lot of miles on it every year.

wjtstudios

Hooked
What long arms do you guys suggest? And what all is needed?

I have the EVO LA kit to go on. Every one I’ve talk to about strongly suggested welding it on. If you haven’t researched it a lot yet, it won’t help in lift and flex. It’s all about getting the geometry back to stock after a taller lift. I’m at 4.5” of lift and it will improve handling at speed.

RedRocker

Check and replace any worn components in the front end. Make sure your caster is at least 4 percent. Balance your tires if they need it.
You'll be fine. I've driven from Michigan to Moab 15+ times.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for all the info guys! I don’t think Long Arms in my near future due to me being a college student and not having $3500 to spare! But it is definitely something I will consider later on!

ctznarcane

Thanks for all the info guys! I don’t think Long Arms in my near future due to me being a college student and not having $3500 to spare! But it is definitely something I will consider later on!

You'll graduate someday. :thumb:

I did Ann Arbor, MI to Moab and back on 37s. The first day alone was 19 hours. Averaged about 14.5mpg running at about 75mph.
I am definitely curious about going long arm after that trip.

BTW, the worst part of the drive was going across Iowa. Headwinds had my sway control triggering all over the place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom