A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Quick update. Lava is still pumping out like crazy. Check out Epic Lava tours on Facebook. Jon has access in the eruption area and posts videos/pictures regularly. The tilt at the summit is still plummeting down and collapsing. Halemaumau crater is over 2x the diameter it was before all this started and is more than 1200 feet deep. It was about 280 feet before this eruption started. Keep in mind that the elevation where the crater is is about 4000 feet... meaning this hole in the ground is 1/4 of the way to sea level. Insane!! Also, There are hundreds of quakes every day around the crater as it cracks and collapses. Anything above a 3.0 or so can be felt at my dads place but usually nothing more than a little tremble. However, for that past 11 days or so, they’ve been getting a single 5+ every day. My dad set up a camera in his house recording the action 24/7. Here is the 5.2 from yesterday afternoon. Better with sound. And the cat on the sofa is a badass.

https://youtu.be/nilmUp3cSFU

Also, here are new cracks on his road that developed within the past couple of days. This is the only road in or out for him. If this goes, he can talking with the ranchers on his street to go out through their ranch... but we’ll see how that goes.

IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0639.jpeg
IMG_0643.jpeg
IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0645.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
I hope he has a bag packed in the Jeep ready to go...I'm on another island with active volcanoes today...Iceland

Ddays

Hooked
Thats wild to experience that every day :crazyeyes:

LOL, cool cat was like, "Hey, while you're up grab me a treat in there, will ya?"

Brute

Hooked
I'm in Reykjavik right now...they have 30 active volcanoes in Iceland...and everyone wants to know what's going on in the Big Island...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Are you ready for Hurricane Lane...I just went out and got a crapload of beer and some toilet paper...I'm all set

Hell yeah! Got my beer and refilled my propane tanks. Might need more beer though depending on how much I drink tonight. I’m not so worried about us. I’m more worried about Oahu. The harbor and airport are on the south side.... which means no air or barge supplies to us for a while if it gets bad. Stay safe over there.

Edit: apparently they just upgraded it to a category 5. Good times.

Brute

Hooked
Hell yeah! Got my beer and refilled my propane tanks. Might need more beer though depending on how much I drink tonight. I’m not so worried about us. I’m more worried about Oahu. The harbor and airport are on the south side.... which means no air or barge supplies to us for a while if it gets bad. Stay safe over there.

Edit: apparently they just upgraded it to a category 5. Good times.

I better get more beer...

Brute

Hooked
I just walked around my property to batten down the hatches...it is going to get wet. Bathtub full for coffee and dog water...I have a pool to use to flush the toilets if necessary...threw a couple 20 lb bags of ice in the garage fridge...couple bags of lump charcoal for the grill (fortunately I have a gas stovetop)...jeep full of gas, including the 10 gal reserve behind the spare...F250 full of diesel...150 gals of gas in the boat for emergency gas stash...threw a couple extra cases of beer in the garage...I think I'm good to go.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I just walked around my property to batten down the hatches...it is going to get wet. Bathtub full for coffee and dog water...I have a pool to use to flush the toilets if necessary...threw a couple 20 lb bags of ice in the garage fridge...couple bags of lump charcoal for the grill (fortunately I have a gas stovetop)...jeep full of gas, including the 10 gal reserve behind the spare...F250 full of diesel...150 gals of gas in the boat for emergency gas stash...threw a couple extra cases of beer in the garage...I think I'm good to go.

Sounds more like a party.. lol. Good luck.

Opunui

Hope all is well in the islands. Flew back to batten down the hatches in HK. I will be flying back into Reno on Friday. This one could be a wet one. Aloha

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom