Abnormal Brake Wear

A.J.

When you get the calipers off look at the inside pads. I think that will tell the tale. Either the inside pad friction material is narrower than the outside pad or you have a slide/caliper problem. As stated previously please post pictures when you get them off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

EmJustEm06

Alright, here we go..! Got the old brakes off and called it. Too cold for my blood today! Haha

Front Left Outer:
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_3572.jpg
IMG_3574.jpg

Front Left Inner:
IMG_3577.jpg
IMG_3578.jpg
IMG_3581.jpg IMG_3583.jpg
IMG_3586.jpg

Front Right Outer:
IMG_3587.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg

Front Right Inner:
IMG_3591.jpg IMG_3592.jpg IMG_3594.jpg

Back Left Outer:
IMG_3595.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg

Back Left Inner:
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3602.jpg

EmJustEm06

Sooooo..... now that I have them off... I’m gonna go with shit product being the culprit.
Everything checks out. Pins look good. Boots look good. Caliper looks good. Everything was still well greased, lubed, anti-seized up from the install.

A.J.

So it appears they run a narrower pad on the rear. Also major rust pitting problems. So glad I don't live there. Rotors are not likely to be machinable. I would replace them. I don't think you have a mechanical problem....yet....you may have one soon if the pistons are as pitted as those rotors when you push them back into the caliper with the new pads.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

EmJustEm06

So it appears they run a narrower pad on the rear. Also major rust pitting problems. So glad I don't live there. Rotors are not likely to be machinable. I would replace them. I don't think you have a mechanical problem....yet....you may have one soon if the pistons are as pitted as those rotors when you push them back into the caliper with the new pads.

Oh I am, these can’t be turned. Trying a completely different brand of rotors and pads (never heard of them before but decent reviews - hoping it doesn’t bite me in the ass!)
IMG_3613.jpg

A.J.

As far as the rust problem goes pad brand doesn't matter all that much. Hopefully better quality rotors will help, but damn what are they putting on the roads there?

EmJustEm06

Centric rotors is what I’m putting on as well.
Humidity here is ridonk. And they mainly use liquid salt on the roads in the winter. But other than that... that’s what our brakes always look like on all our vehicles. Is there a trick to keeping rust off??

First off I give you top marks for wrenching in the cold. Never fun trying to keep your fingers from going blue. Yes, salt brine sucks, they apply that crap here too.

Great photos too, tells the story. Wow your right front like a such a skinny pad.

Hope your new choice of products works out better. Be sure to clean and lube the piston area. Not sure if your or application uses replaceable clips were the pads mount to the calipers, they are a wear item. I always change them out, and add a wee bit of lube for tabs to keep the sliding. Sorry wish I new the name of these clips, bit there's 4 per wheel.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

EmJustEm06

I’ve always just called them brake pad clips haha! If there’s a technical name for them I don’t know it. And yes..! This front and rear kit did come with replacement clips..! Bonus.
And yeah, I had less pad life all around than I originally thought I did..!
New rotors and pads will go on tomorrow once I’ve cleaned her up a bit and regrease/lubed/anti-seized/etc. everything. Tho, the pins still look to be greased from the last install. Will still clean them up and reapply.
Supposed to be quite a bit warmer tomorrow so my fingers won’t go numb..! 🤪

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Sucks the quality of the products weren't up to snuff. I'm wondering why the rear inners look like they were only contacting on the centers, but curious at best. either way, glad you have a plan and hopefully new products will work better for you. Man, that salt... eek.

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

EmJustEm06

Definitely!
Thanks everybody for humoring me! I’m definitely leaning toward just a poor quality of brakes this round. Anxious to see how this different brand wears.

Mcollins443

It’s probably not the brand of brakes. Our Chevrolet trucks at work all do this but the fords don’t as much and we run the same brand brakes on both. It’s the salt on the roads doing it but some models just do it more no matter what brand brakes you use. Just way they’re designed some allow more road debris to get to the brakes. It will probably keep happening unless you wash off your brakes after every drive on salty roads.

EmJustEm06

It’s probably not the brand of brakes. Our Chevrolet trucks at work all do this but the fords don’t as much and we run the same brand brakes on both. It’s the salt on the roads doing it but some models just do it more no matter what brand brakes you use. Just way they’re designed some allow more road debris to get to the brakes. It will probably keep happening unless you wash off your brakes after every drive on salty roads.

Well, that’s disheartening... So it’s possible that all Libertys wear like this? I don’t know anyone with a Liberty to ask and compare wearing here. I just feel like this kind of wear is a safety hazard at some point.

Mcollins443

I usually try to wash my vehicle quite often in the winter from all the salt. And not the automatic car washes. I make sure to get in the frame and all around the brakes really well.

Top Bottom