Add wheel spacers, or not?

joshuaj21

And this is my point.

With this I'm really hoping these were not what you were running... but as I said, 5 months and actually closer to 800 miles still no issues. Check torque and wear every oil change and rotation, pretty much any time the wheels come off. I am skeptical still as well, although only wheeled twice with them on so far. Checked both times and still no issues or complaints.

joshuaj21

I do agree that for most things, you get what you pay for. However with these, I couldn't find any bad reviews of them and looked for any negative info I could find. This is just my opinion and if you go with spydertrax I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'm just saying that I'm not disappointed with mine either.

JudeinPa

I like the look of one with spacers, even stock wheels. I hate how much the wheels set up under the fender flares.

If you get spacers spend the money and get a higher quality spacer such as the Spydertrax brand that is hub and lug centric.

Throwing on wheel spacers also makes your jeep handle better.

Before:
IMG_0395.jpg

After:
IMG_0405.jpg

I am still running my stock wheels & tires but hope to upgrade once I get some milage out of them.

gleno99

I bought the spydertrax for looks. I used them for 25k miles until I bought a lift, new wheels and tires. No issues. Sold them for half what I paid.

tharb5111

I bought rough country 1.5 hub centric wheel spacers last year with 5,000 miles on my new jk. Now I am at 25,000 miles (several long road trips too) and have had zero issues.

I rotate my stock bfgs kms ever 3000 miles and I check all wheel spacer bolts at that time for safety and peace of mind. I have noticed improved handling, tighter on corners and more stable in Cross winds and at free way speeds. In addition to this I think it improves the stance of the jeep.

All of this being said after reading what happened to Napalm I have been wheel shopping after discussing napalm;s close call with my wife. Problem is I like stock wheels and haven't liked the stuff I've seen so far. Not sure if there is a safety issue or not. But napalm;s experience has got me thinking and worried a bit.

Also I noticed almost all after market wheels (steel and alloy) are all lug centric and almost none of them are hub centric like my stock wheels or like my rough country alloy spacers. So not sure it is any safer ditching my hub centric spacers for lug centric wheels. Lol.

Only hub centric wheels I've found are Aev and rugged ridge alloys. Not big on the looks or their crazy expensive price ($200+ per wheel fit hub centric).

So for now I'm like you and stuck on what to do. I do like the look of my spacers on my Jeep though.

Last edited:

tharb5111

Spacers on improves stance for sure. This recent pic shows how the 1.5 spacers adjust stance. Stock wheels and tires (255/75/17 bfg km). Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1438834245631.jpg
    1438834245631.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 99

tharb5111

Another shot with spacers on. You can see they sit out from under fender slightly. Notice how this causes A LOT of extra mud slinging and dirty splash on doors. I don't even bother washing it anymore.

Attachments

• 1438834609993.jpg
    1438834609993.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 94

tharb5111

This person used spacers on stock 17s to fit 35/12.5/17s and it looks fantastic. All hub centric where most aftermarket wheels are lug centric. This confuses me. But man this looks good doesn't it?

Attachments

• 1438834904610.jpg
    1438834904610.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 98

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
This person used spacers on stock 17s to fit 35/12.5/17s and it looks fantastic. All hub centric where most aftermarket wheels are lug centric. This confuses me. But man this looks good doesn't it?

I love those wheels. Which is kind of weird cause I'm not a fan of the solid black Willys version or the standard grey rubi wheels. I love the hard rock rubis but damn that price tag. Lol.

JeepJeep75

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438865928.047602.jpg
Spidertrax 1.5" on stock Rubicon wheels. The stance is perfect. Tires are right at the edge of the fender. I'll be keeping these wheels when I go to 35's so it's definitely not money waisted on the spacers.

mds22

I love those wheels. Which is kind of weird cause I'm not a fan of the solid black Willys version or the standard grey rubi wheels. I love the hard rock rubis but damn that price tag. Lol.

Just tape them off and paint your normal Rubi wheels. Here's a pic before I completed the project. But you can see my what I'm talking about with the rear wheel ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438868723.532907.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Just tape them off and paint your normal Rubi wheels. Here's a pic before I completed the project. But you can see my what I'm talking about with the rear wheel View attachment 158103

Nice comparison shot. The black definitely looks better to me.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. If I add spacers at this point, it would be Spidertrax and solely for looks.

Last edited:

tharb5111

I asked napalm this and I'll ask you as well...are you happy with the evo level kit ride quality v stock???? Curious cause I was running terraflex puck level kit and it made the ride quality suffer. Seemed to raise control arm angle too much and increased road shock into the seat ande frame instead of into shocks. Do you notice this with the evo set up??? Are you happy with the ride quality?? Thanks.

USMC Wrangler

I asked napalm this and I'll ask you as well...are you happy with the evo level kit ride quality v stock???? Curious cause I was running terraflex puck level kit and it made the ride quality suffer. Seemed to raise control arm angle too much and increased road shock into the seat ande frame instead of into shocks. Do you notice this with the evo set up??? Are you happy with the ride quality?? Thanks.

What I can tell you in the short time I've had it is that the paved road ride is more forgiving than my previous setup. I had 18 front coils and a teraflex spacer. It seems softer to me but does not wander. I hope my explanation is clear enough. If you don't pull the trigger on the kit beforehand, you'd be welcome to drive mine a bit at Hidden Falls.

I'm on 275/65r18. So 32.1"x10.8" and I rub the sway bar at full lock. YMMV, but you might want em.
View attachment 158154

Thanks! 👍

tharb5111

What I can tell you in the short time I've had it is that the paved road ride is more forgiving than my previous setup. I had 18 front coils and a teraflex spacer. It seems softer to me but does not wander. I hope my explanation is clear enough. If you don't pull the trigger on the kit beforehand, you'd be welcome to drive mine a bit at Hidden Falls.

Thanks! 👍

That would be great. Would love to see how it feels as I was a bit disappointed in the tf pucks so I took the rears out and took one of the two pucks out of the front. Ride is back to normal and it is still a bit leveled but I know longer feel every rut in the road. Control arm angle is very important I'm finding in regard to ride comfort. Thanks again! :)

Top Bottom