AEV 5.7L radiator

desertrunner

No hemi experience but Motech and overland performance both started putting a spring mount on the top of the radiator to allow for flex. What they were finding was that the JK frame was flexing too much and cracking the aluminum but in order to get a plastic end radiator Robbie was saying they had to order a minimum of like 2500 radiators and that wasn't reasonable for them.

The spring mount consisted of the factory upper grommet with a washer then the spring about and inch long and another washer with an extended bolt. The idea is the spring would allow the one corner to pull away from the frame preventing the radiator from flexing far enough to pull the tubes out of the tank end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
Interesting.... If I have an issue with a second one maybe I'll look into that
I do feel like the -50 temps does have a little to do with it

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

No hemi experience but Motech and overland performance both started putting a spring mount on the top of the radiator to allow for flex. What they were finding was that the JK frame was flexing too much and cracking the aluminum but in order to get a plastic end radiator Robbie was saying they had to order a minimum of like 2500 radiators and that wasn't reasonable for them.

The spring mount consisted of the factory upper grommet with a washer then the spring about and inch long and another washer with an extended bolt. The idea is the spring would allow the one corner to pull away from the frame preventing the radiator from flexing far enough to pull the tubes out of the tank end.

That sounds like a good idea. While I'm working on mine I will try to remember to add springs to mine.

I've already split one radiator, don't need to keep adding up trophies.

desertrunner

So you are saying they put a 1" spring right in there? I feel like it would leave the bolt not torqued enough unless it's a real stiff spring or they loctite them 20210212_161537.jpg

jdofmemi

That looks right to me. The spring would not have to be super stiff, you want it to be able to flex easily instead of breaking.

Loctite or double nut the back side to keep about an inch of spring there.

Bierpower

Hooked
That's the spot. Spring tension is usually sufficient to keep a bolt from turning out. I would be careful if your going to use loctite. Don't want to strip the threads out of the frame on those bolts. Also get a longer bolt so your not holding on by the last 2-3 threads.

desertrunner

Figured I'd finally update this tread. So the C&R racing radiator was about $200 cheaper than the AEV and every mounting hole for hoses, fan, trans cooler, etc all lined up perfect. I didn't have to modify or change anything from the old AEV one. Minus the whole not sure which coolant to use flushing process I'm working through currently so far temps are holding perfect, actually a little lowe than the AEV one, and so far so good with no leaks.

Once I get the whole system flushed and filled with the new coolant should be good to go.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Figured I'd finally update this tread. So the C&R racing radiator was about $200 cheaper than the AEV and every mounting hole for hoses, fan, trans cooler, etc all lined up perfect. I didn't have to modify or change anything from the old AEV one. Minus the whole not sure which coolant to use flushing process I'm working through currently so far temps are holding perfect, actually a little lowe than the AEV one, and so far so good with no leaks.

Once I get the whole system flushed and filled with the new coolant should be good to go.

Great! Did you end up putting in that spring?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

Great! Did you end up putting in that spring?

I did not however the C&R has way better bushings on all mounting locations as well as the two upper mounts are even isolated by 2 more bushings to the actual radiator so it seemed to me that it will be able to flex way more than the AEV

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I did not however the C&R has way better bushings on all mounting locations as well as the two upper mounts are even isolated by 2 more bushings to the actual radiator so it seemed to me that it will be able to flex way more than the AEV

Nice! I hope it works out for you. Good luck [emoji482]

jdofmemi

Sounds good. Any chance of a picture or two of the upper mount? That sounds like a good idea.

desertrunner

Sounds good. Any chance of a picture or two of the upper mount? That sounds like a good idea.
The bushing just below the cap is the bracket that attaches to the radiator. You can only see the top bushing but there are 2 on that bracket. Also you can see the orange bushing on the fan mount. Every mount has that orange bushing where the AEV one was just ridgid aluminum 20210309_105947.jpg

desertrunner

Thanks!

That looks like it should work very good.
Yeah seems like a much better design if the flex is cracking these radiator.
Took it for a drive around town today and for the first time in months it doesn't smell like burning coolant and no leaks. Hope this solves my issues.
Still working on flushing water through the system to clear out all the old coolant before I re fill

desertrunner

Time to update this thread... not good news and I'm at a loss. SO the C&R radiator i put in in Feb is now leaking. Same spot as the AEV one. From the fins out on the edge just above the upper fan mounts. thought i was chasing small hose leaks after the swap but now in the last 2 weeks its leaking enough to be dripping and pooling inside the fan shroud and on the ground again. And according to my invoice from C&R there is no warranty on it.....

Jsouder53

Hooked
Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully you get an answer from someone about what is going on that has experience from this!

Top Bottom