After market lockers for front rubicon Dana 44

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I didn't realize there was a locker available that could be engaged/disengaged by a cable instead of air or electric. I was thinking of swapping my factory lockers to air someday but I start thinking "what ifs" and the air line breaking somewhere or compressor taking a shit, especially when I need it this most. Be curious to hear some of the opinions on that.

To be honest, mine is electric. There's a solenoid that needs to be mounted to your frame rail or another secure location and it gets fed a signal from a switch inside the cabin to connect/disconnect. But from what I understand, if that does fail, you can trigger the locker manually. Might be worth cruising the Ox website for more info because I don't know for sure myself how it works.

Exodus 4x4

To be honest, mine is electric. There's a solenoid that needs to be mounted to your frame rail or another secure location and it gets fed a signal from a switch inside the cabin to connect/disconnect. But from what I understand, if that does fail, you can trigger the locker manually. Might be worth cruising the Ox website for more info because I don't know for sure myself how it works.

I did. Looks like no matter which method you choose to engage, they all still use a cable to engage internally. You can buy a tool that allows you to crawl under and manually engage or disengage the locker if the air or electric fail. I found an article that says they're a 4 pin design versus 2 like a lot of others, and they make them out of the same grade is steel as the ring and pinion. Not sure how significant the grade of steel is, may just be overkill. I'll probably call them direct and confirm a lot of this before I make a commitment but so far I'm liking what I reading.

Jeeper125

Do you need a special ring and pinion if you have a rubicon 44 cause I picked up an alloy usa R and p for half price at a jeep event

JTPhoto JK

I also went with OX 30 spline. I chose the electric actuator and mounted it under the dash rather then on the frame rail.

The beauty of the OX is that it can be actuated by electric, by direct cable shift, or by air, whichever you choose.

There are only 4 lockers available for the front Rubi D44 axle housing:

- factory E Locker
- OX mechanical 30spline or 35 spline with mechanical, air, or electric actuator
- ARB 35 spline air locker
- Auburn E Locker ( I believe this is also 35 spline).

Heholua

I didn't realize there was a locker available that could be engaged/disengaged by a cable instead of air or electric. I was thinking of swapping my factory lockers to air someday but I start thinking "what ifs" and the air line breaking somewhere or compressor taking a shit, especially when I need it this most. Be curious to hear some of the opinions on that.

If you're worried about the air lines, Rubicon Express makes a stainless steel air line kit for air lockers. I had them on my previous JKU and no problems.

Top Bottom