Aftermarket Battery Terminals?

WJCO

Meme King
Bad news. I've ranted and raved about these battery terminals, but Sky High Car Audio does not stand behind their products when they fail. Instead, they blame you the buyer. Really sucks too, I've really liked these things so far. I've had no issues with them up until these weekend. I had to weld on my tire carrier and I disconnected the battery as I always do and the set screw came out a little and just seized. It wouldn't come out anymore. Luckily it was enough to get the terminal off of the post. So I didn't think anything of it and just did my welding. Well, when I went to tighten it back up, it wouldn't move either. Nothing, just seized. I normally just use a small allen wrench because it turns very easily by hand. Being that it wasn't turning by hand, I got a small allen bit and put a quarter-inch ratchet on it. I snapped 3 tool bits and the set screw still didn't move. The 3rd one is still stuck inside the allen bore of the set screw and now the terminal won't tighten. And just so everyone knows, this set screw is tiny and just turns in and out. It doesn't need to be removed nor has it ever been removed. I tried pb blaster, anti-seize, etc and nothing loosened it. I put the terminal back on the battery post and it has made connection so I can start the Jeep temporarily.

I contacted Sky High Car Audio, and all they've done so far is accused me of cross-threading it even though the set screw has never even been removed from the terminal. I even offered to send them the old part or send pictures or anything so they could find out what happened. All they told me is that I probably cross-threaded it and it can't be warrantied. So anyone who has purchased these based on my recommendation here on the forum, I'm sorry, but they didn't work out for me. And I hope none of you have a failure with these nor have to contact the company because they'll just likely blame you for their problem.

Here's some pictures of what's going on. Here's the positive one, this is what it should look like and this one is not seized:

DSC05727.jpg

And here's the negative one that is seized and won't move at all. As you can see, there is part of a tool bit still broken in there:

DSC05728.jpg

DSC05730.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

I realize it's only 50 bucks, but it's more of the aggravation of dealing with a shady company that is the reason I posted. I wouldn't want to see any of you go through this.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Bad news. I've ranted and raved about these battery terminals, but Sky High Car Audio does not stand behind their products when they fail. Instead, they blame you the buyer. Really sucks too, I've really liked these things so far. I've had no issues with them up until these weekend. I had to weld on my tire carrier and I disconnected the battery as I always do and the set screw came out a little and just seized. It wouldn't come out anymore. Luckily it was enough to get the terminal off of the post. So I didn't think anything of it and just did my welding. Well, when I went to tighten it back up, it wouldn't move either. Nothing, just seized. I normally just use a small allen wrench because it turns very easily by hand. Being that it wasn't turning by hand, I got a small allen bit and put a quarter-inch ratchet on it. I snapped 3 tool bits and the set screw still didn't move. The 3rd one is still stuck inside the allen bore of the set screw and now the terminal won't tighten. And just so everyone knows, this set screw is tiny and just turns in and out. It doesn't need to be removed nor has it ever been removed. I tried pb blaster, anti-seize, etc and nothing loosened it. I put the terminal back on the battery post and it has made connection so I can start the Jeep temporarily.

I contacted Sky High Car Audio, and all they've done so far is accused me of cross-threading it even though the set screw has never even been removed from the terminal. I even offered to send them the old part or send pictures or anything so they could find out what happened. All they told me is that I probably cross-threaded it and it can't be warrantied. So anyone who has purchased these based on my recommendation here on the forum, I'm sorry, but they didn't work out for me. And I hope none of you have a failure with these nor have to contact the company because they'll just likely blame you for their problem.

Here's some pictures of what's going on. Here's the positive one, this is what it should look like and this one is not seized:

View attachment 265628

And here's the negative one that is seized and won't move at all. As you can see, there is part of a tool bit still broken in there:

View attachment 265629

View attachment 265630

View attachment 265631

I realize it's only 50 bucks, but it's more of the aggravation of dealing with a shady company that is the reason I posted. I wouldn't want to see any of you go through this.

Made by Teraflex?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tumbleweed

Once it's out good enough to ignore the original set screw, I would drill & tap a larger hole & reinstall it. Anti-seize the crap out of it.

quertyman

I am running Jims machineworx 7 spot terminals. Great upgrade and now I don't need to cram everything onto one single bolt. Also, all the factory wires to the battery have had a new lug crimped on in order to have a good connection and last. I like these because the bolts alternate so you dont need to turn the lugs as much to make everything fit. Only issue was they took probably about a month to show up but I would still suggest them for people who need to run multiple accesories and still have everything spread out and clean.

IMG_6503.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I am running Jims machineworx 7 spot terminals. Great upgrade and now I don't need to cram everything onto one single bolt. Also, all the factory wires to the battery have had a new lug crimped on in order to have a good connection and last. I like these because the bolts alternate so you dont need to turn the lugs as much to make everything fit. Only issue was they took probably about a month to show up but I would still suggest them for people who need to run multiple accesories and still have everything spread out and clean.

m9CCKXpW41HrokgF9gSvVOQ.jpg

I couldn't see your photos but found one on the web. Those look nice. How long have you had them?

Ddays

Hooked
I couldn't see your photos but found one on the web. Those look nice. How long have you had them?

As easy as aluminum is to work with I would think with a 1/2-3/4" thick piece of stock you could fab a set of these up pretty easily. Hmmm.

Edit: A piece of 3/4" x 1-1/2" x 12" aluminum flat stock is $16.92 on Amazon. Prime eligible too.

Last edited:

quertyman

Check it now I think I got the picture working. I've had them for probably a year and they have been holding up great. Nothing has moved, corroded, or came loose besides one low quality lug for the winch ground.

As easy as aluminum is to work with I would think with a 1/2-3/4" thick piece of stock you could fab a set of these up pretty easily. Hmmm.

Edit: A piece of 3/4" x 1-1/2" x 12" aluminum flat stock is $16.92 on Amazon. Prime eligible too.

Not bad at all totally doable. Next year I'll be taking some 3D CAD classes and will have access to a mill so maybe something like these would be a good project to work on. But considering the amount of hours it would take to make them the 50$ vs 16$ would be worth it if you just want to have the terminals without the labor.

Sullivan

I’ve posted these other places but I made my own. Took some ideas from guys here. Turned out pretty good. A little larger then needed but it was just the 1st edition of them. IMG_3380.jpg IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3385.jpg IMG_3428.jpg

Moose92YJ

I’ve posted these other places but I made my own. Took some ideas from guys here. Turned out pretty good. A little larger then needed but it was just the 1st edition of them.

I know this is an older thread, but those are awesome. What would you charge to make another set? I really like the look of these. Especially if they hold up.

Top Bottom