Air Intake?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I would be surprised if many of the aftermarket filters offer any benefit whatsoever. Drawing in higher intake temps reduces engine efficiency and has all sorts of related detrimental effects. It's one thing to pop a hood with a fan blowing in front of it and record a dyno number. It's quite another to have a heat soaked engine compartment and have a filter system draw more hot air from that source.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Changing filters does absolutely nothing for IAT's...the only thing that can change IATs would be to change the source of the air....so, on a JK...you only have two choices....to make a REAL cold air intake that has an elbow that bends down and gets air from around the knuckle of the axle (I would not recommend this option AT ALL) or, a snorkel, but one with low restriction (like an AEV.) Changing filters won't do anything to change the actual temps of the air your engine is sucking in. Besides much cooler IATs, you'll have a little extra breathing room (no pun intended) for water crossings, dust ingestion, and depending on who you ask, it looks cool. Just my .02

jeeeep

Hooked
wanted to clarify - do not run grill inserts, they tend to restrict the air flow.

Have you had your radiator flushed? member from our local club had heating issues and did a flush then a reverse flush, don't know if he got any residue out of it but he did say after he did this the heating issue went away.

I think in the process of doing the flush he actually just removed all air bubbles allowing the system to flow better....maybe try "burping" it, if you can find a funnel to fit tight in place of the radiator cap (they do make a special funnel but I forget what it's called), run it from cold to hot (about 15-20 minutes) and see if any air bubbles are present...

Something I learned years ago from a radiator shop.

Flyer

I suffer in the heat before running my AC- when crawling. Oiled/sprayed filters seem like a terrible idea in dusty conditions so I have never used them in the Jeep. A long time ago, I used the K&N air filters for a while but went back to paper filter that have served me well. The JK does seem to run hotter than my 4Runner but I am not sure there is an effective way to do much- except maybe a trans cooler and a vented hood...maybe.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't recommend a K&N on a jeep. Yes a K&N flows more air, but at the expense of less filtration. Perfectly fine on a sports car, but not on a jeep that goes offroad and eats dust....the stock paper filter is as good as it gets dust wise. Again, heatsoak will happen regardless of the filter you run unless you get the filter out of the underhood area.

Lasher7386

Like others have stated I would not run an oiled filter on any vehicle you may bring off-road. I had one on an old truck and the two main issues I had with it were 1. how fast it would get dirty and 2. If you did not oil it properly after cleaning it would go one of two ways. Not enough oil would cause a loss in filtration and to much oil could allow oil to go through the filter onto your mass airflow sensor. I eventually swapped it for an aem brute force dry filter and it was much better.

Top Bottom