Almost done putting my new PR60 in my Jeep

Grubbicon

What are the best junkyard one ton axles for a JK? I've heard mixed opinions between OBS Ford or 2nd gen Dodge axles.

Probably the easiest to hook electronics up are the 05+ super dutys. All though far as aftermarket support goes a ford kingpin 60 and gm 14bolt are the best.

Grubbicon

Oh ok. The newer super duty's run a sterling 10.25 rear and Dana 60 front, correct?

Yes its a d60 front and on 05+ they are already 35 spline outers compared to everything else 30 spline outers. The rear is actually a 10.5 however to run more then a 4.88 gear gotta run the gear set from a 10.25. So I guess depending on the gears you use it can be a 10.25.

jkwebbie

What are the best junkyard one ton axles for a JK? I've heard mixed opinions between OBS Ford or 2nd gen Dodge axles.

I'm using 2010 Ford Super duty axles. Front is a Dana 60 and rear is Sterling 10.5 and both are 35 spline shafts. They are pretty beefy. Artec makes a kit that helps with the swap and the 05+ Super duty axles are the easiest for all the electronic hook ups like ABS and traction control since those trucks have them. Like Scott said earlier, the Kingpin and 14 bolt have the most aftermarket support, but the Super duty axles are beginning to get a good amount of support.

Yes its a d60 front and on 05+ they are already 35 spline outers compared to everything else 30 spline outers. The rear is actually a 10.5 however to run more then a 4.88 gear gotta run the gear set from a 10.25. So I guess depending on the gears you use it can be a 10.25.

I'm using 2010 Ford Super duty axles. Front is a Dana 60 and rear is Sterling 10.5 and both are 35 spline shafts. They are pretty beefy. Artec makes a kit that helps with the swap and the 05+ Super duty axles are the easiest for all the electronic hook ups like ABS and traction control since those trucks have them. Like Scott said earlier, the Kingpin and 14 bolt have the most aftermarket support, but the Super duty axles are beginning to get a good amount of support.
You two are making my brain hurt. King pin 44 bolt on an artec ford truss kit with 15 bolt adapter 3link tranny headers. Fuck me lol

jkwebbie

Curious how much the actual parts cost to get the axle up and running? Was it SIGNIFICANTLY less than buying a PR60?

My axles with Yukon gears, ARB lockers, high steer, the Artec trusses, new brakes, pads and lines, custom made tie rod and drag link, and other little odds and ends cost less than a ProRock 60 front

Grubbicon

Curious how much the actual parts cost to get the axle up and running? Was it SIGNIFICANTLY less than buying a PR60?

Never really added up the front but Ill do that when i get a chance. Im willing to bet its around half the price. But this also depends on what parts you use and what you started with.

EDIT: I will say if your paying someone else all the labor id be willing to bed price difference isnt worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Grubbicon

So after im looking around 4500 range for my front axle complete. Thats with original axle price, yukon gears, master rebuild and yoke, detroit locker, ball joints, ruff stuff diff cover, heims for tierod and draglink, tubing for hiems and draglink, sending my knuckles out to be machined for highsteer and the arms, new brakes, artec kit (even though i threw most of it in the trash I should of just bought a truss and control arm brackets). I paid a guy to put the gears and lockers in so im gonna say probably 5k at most. IMO thats worth it.

Top Bottom