Alpine X209-WRA-OR or Insane Audio?

JMFK

Did your insane unit come with a card in the GPS slot? I pulled mine out of the box today and opened the GPS slot, and nothing is there. Do you have cameras on yours, and if so, what's the quality like? And I'm used to the phone button on my steering wheel make calls for me, answer call, and read text. What does it do now when you hit it?

Yes there is a card in the GPS slot. It may not look like it but if you push the little “line” behind the cover the micro SD card will pop out. I only have the rear camera and it looks great to me. I’ve only ever pushed it to answer incoming calls. Not sure what else it does. If I want to make a call I just bring up Siri (like I said I have an iPhone) and tell her who to call. The call automatically gets sent through the head unit. Same for texting, I use Siri.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JMFK

Also, do leaving bread crumbs work by leaving one at the beginning, and one at the end and it makes a trail you can save? Or do you have to constantly leave crumbs if you have multiple trails that intersect? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I've never played with any of this stuff. I go wheeling with a group usually, but there are so many trails, I never know where I'm at and want a way to put points and know how to get to "Rock garden" trail, or "Cable Hill" trail for example.

I don’t think the built in Nav has many off road trails therefore it won’t do turn by turn. Yes you can drop waypoints as you go but since the built in Nav is limited I went with a 3rd party app. If you go to the Insane Audio forum on their website there is an article that describes how to use the built in Nav off-road and what 3rd party apps work best.

17xJKU

I don’t think the built in Nav has many off road trails therefore it won’t do turn by turn. Yes you can drop waypoints as you go but since the built in Nav is limited I went with a 3rd party app. If you go to the Insane Audio forum on their website there is an article that describes how to use the built in Nav off-road and what 3rd party apps work best.

I know the insane unit is capable of so much, but the only things I care about are hands free calls and text, offroad trail tracking, and good rock cams. I've just heard lots of problems with insane audio and people always having to send their units back to them, or having to reset them all the time. Also heard multiple people say the mic is terrible like you said. I'm just worried about reliability with it.. yes they have great warranty, but I want reliability. I have unlimited data, but I don't think I'll use hardly any apps on the unit. Reason I want the Alpine.. big screen, offroad tracks with tilt and pitch, up to 3 cameras, and android auto capable. Yes.. more money than insane and more simplistic. I am just worried I get the Alpine unit and the offroad tracks not be what I'm thinking. I'm so indecisive.. lol sorry for the rant..

JMFK

I know the insane unit is capable of so much, but the only things I care about are hands free calls and text, offroad trail tracking, and good rock cams. I've just heard lots of problems with insane audio and people always having to send their units back to them, or having to reset them all the time. Also heard multiple people say the mic is terrible like you said. I'm just worried about reliability with it.. yes they have great warranty, but I want reliability. I have unlimited data, but I don't think I'll use hardly any apps on the unit. Reason I want the Alpine.. big screen, offroad tracks with tilt and pitch, up to 3 cameras, and android auto capable. Yes.. more money than insane and more simplistic. I am just worried I get the Alpine unit and the offroad tracks not be what I'm thinking. I'm so indecisive.. lol sorry for the rant..

Yes the insane audio unit has issues but it wasn’t worth 2 to 3 times the cost to go with alpine for me personally. If you already have the insane audio unit on hand why not install it a play around with it a bit?

17xJKU

Yes the insane audio unit has issues but it wasn’t worth 2 to 3 times the cost to go with alpine for me personally. If you already have the insane audio unit on hand why not install it a play around with it a bit?

Well insane is going to let me return it since it's never been installed. I just have to pay return shipping. I just have my heart set on the Alpine with android auto,the big screen, over all look of it is amazing, and hoping I can track and save trails I go on with it. I did find I decent deal with the Alpine. Comes with free t-cam and everything on the site is 10% off. So right there is $700 savings. I know I still need the multicam adapter and front camera, but all 10% off. Yes... still $2k more than insane, but may ne more reliable which is a big deal for me. I would hate to try the insane, hate it, try and sell it for 1/2 price, when I can return it. But at the same time, would hate to cur my dash, spend the money on Alpine and the offroad maps not work for where I wheel.

I was all set to buy the iLX-207 but really wanted navigation when my phone doesn’t have service. Then I was looking at the i209-WRA but really don’t want to spend that much or cut up my dash, which I’ve heard you have to. This is an agonizing decision.

Even with the 207 it was recommended to cut a piece of metal of the dash support out. I didn't do it so mine is just a tad off, but it doesn't bother me enough to go back in and cut it out. I wound up ordering a Magellan TR7 off road GPS to have a dedicated unit when I'm on the trails.

17xJKU

Everyone I talked to seemed to talk me out of the $300 Alpine front camera, and said the $15 Amazon cameras look just as good, but not multi view. I ordered an Amazon camera and another Alpine camera adapter.. $30 total vs $300. I guess we'll see. If its quality sucks, or I find I want the multi view alpine, I'll put the cheap camera under the jeep to watch the drive train, rocks, and suspension..

Top Bottom