Another 37 vs 40 thread

Rocralr

My JKU was there for about 4 months. I gave it to Robbie the end of June. But I had to wait 2 months for parts. So the build took about a month and a half. As I said I went all new. I did a crate engine and transmission. I went with a new Atlas transfer case too. After selling my old engine, transmission etc it was a little over ?? It was a good deal for me. I just retired and it was my reward for being a LEO for 40+ years.

Bierpower

Hooked
How much does that cost? $20k? I want a V8 someday.
I'll be around $12k for my DIY swap. Got the engine and trans off eBay for 3k, 6k for the Motech kit and 2k for driveshafts and exhaust. If you have decent mechanical aptitude it's not too bad of a job on the garage floor. Now I just need to see how long the dirty 30 can hold against the V8.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
My JKU was there for about 4 months. I gave it to Robbie the end of June. But I had to wait 2 months for parts. So the build took about a month and a half. As I said I went all new. I did a crate engine and transmission. I went with a new Atlas transfer case too. After selling my old engine, transmission etc it was a little over ?? It was a good deal for me. I just retired and it was my reward for being a LEO for 40+ years.

What atlas did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

Does it have an army green wrap? Or was it the silver one. Pretty sure I saw it. I remember Robbie pointing one out saying it was a police officer’s.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'll be around $12k for my DIY swap. Got the engine and trans off eBay for 3k, 6k for the Motech kit and 2k for driveshafts and exhaust. If you have decent mechanical aptitude it's not too bad of a job on the garage floor. Now I just need to see how long the dirty 30 can hold against the V8.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

With all that weight and power sitting above it, it’s not going to last long. When do the new axles arrive??

SLO

So, I’m pretty much set on selling my 37’s and putting 40’s on the new wheels. Last thing i need to figure out is suspension. I have a 3.5” Game Changer lift. After spending almost $50K on everything else to run 40’s, am I restricting the JK by staying with a 3.5” lift. I fee like this is one of the biggest areas of give and take on the JK. I have always been hesitant to go to a long arm kit but is it a better way to go with 40’s? I’m running MC Overland fenders so another option would be to go to the Overlines and not mess with the suspension.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So, I’m pretty much set on selling my 37’s and putting 40’s on the new wheels. Last thing i need to figure out is suspension. I have a 3.5” Game Changer lift. After spending almost $50K on everything else to run 40’s, am I restricting the JK by staying with a 3.5” lift. I fee like this is one of the biggest areas of give and take on the JK. I have always been hesitant to go to a long arm kit but is it a better way to go with 40’s? I’m running MC Overland fenders so another option would be to go to the Overlines and not mess with the suspension.

If I were you, having just spent all that money, go out and wheel it... a lot. I think you'll figure out pretty quick whether the suspension is holding you back from something.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
With all that weight and power sitting above it, it’s not going to last long. When do the new axles arrive??

I don't know, my buddy ran his LS3 JK with d30 locked on 37s for 2 years. He did know it could be an issue and drove as such but you can make them live if you are careful. Boring to me but liveable while ya save. He did blow out a u joint in catastrophic fashion in Moab the one year taking out the knuckle also :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Billybadass411

Great thread! Some day I will need this advice for my jk. Having a YJ with no horsepower on 39.5’s and wheeling whith guys on 37’s and lots of horsepower, I can say I get more places than they do. They also damage their rig more getting those places. In my YJ, I usually wheel places like the hammers. Some day my JKU will graduate to tons, 40’s and the hammers. For now, my JKU on 35’s does well on trails like Big Bear stuff, anything harder, I want big tires to avoid damage. Wider axles and bigger tires will keep your body off the rocks, generally speaking. If you want to protect your rig from body damage, go bigger. Just don’t get too brave. In my opinion, fixing axles and drive shafts is cheaper than body damage most of the time.

Thank you!

A.J.

Thread resurrection! My d30 finally died a horrible death last weekend. Ordering fusion 60/60 this week. Glad I found this thread. I am pretty much decided on 70" width. Going to run 4.75 backspace with 38" tires. I am unfortunately blessed with the 3.8l so 5.38's and no 40's yet.... How are you guys liking the axles so far? I have a friend here locally that has them so I got to check them out although his Jeep is built up a bit more than mine. He went full 72" 40's and 6.0l LS. My plan is the whole buy once cry once deal. I am staying coil/shocks forever, but a v8 swap of some sort will happen in a few years. Then on up to 40's. Any advice/ suggestions? Problems you've encountered? Other smaller supporting parts I might need while I'm waiting for them to be built?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

That thousand bucks you save by running Dynatrac axles could go a long way to get you some 40s.

I wouldn’t suggest running an oddball size of tire like a 38. God forbid you have to borrow a spare on the trail. You’d be screwed

A.J.

I'm not going to get in a shit stirring match with you Overlander. I called Dynatrac, I called Currie, I called Bubba at Exodus. I even look into actual junk yard superduty/ 14 bolt swaps and everything in between. I have nothing against Dynatrac. They build great stuff. If money were no object I might have sprung for the xd's. I am buying what I want to buy so save your breath. Fusion's axles are well built and will be built exactly the way I want them to be built. Dan at Fusion was by far the most helpful and patient with my questions. He actually asked about my Jeep, future plans and what I wanted to do. They come with their tie rod and drag link which pretty much negates your price comparison and in my opinion are a better option for me and what I want to do. Eric at Dynatrac was a really nice guy and also very helpful so no problems there. David at Currie I thought I actually heard him yawning during our phone call. Answered my questions but very dry and really sounded like I was just another guy asking a bunch of stupid questions about axles he can't afford. Too bad because I like Currie and used them for all of my drag racing and old Ford truck days but he was just an ass. Bubba was great too. Very informative and was looking into several options for me as well. I even talked to David at NR he was very helpful and informative about everything but made a cardinal mistake in my book and tried to talk down about his competitors. His comments turned me immediately away and the were the same almost verbatim as yours. I'm sorry you put yourself in that category. All of which have nothing to do with what I am asking of others who chose to purchase Fusions axles and I really had no intention of posting about so thanks for bringing it up. Please let's not waste any more of our time on it. It's my money and I will buy what makes sense to me.

longarmwj

I'm not going to get in a shit stirring match with you Overlander. I called Dynatrac, I called Currie, I called Bubba at Exodus. I even look into actual junk yard superduty/ 14 bolt swaps and everything in between. I have nothing against Dynatrac. They build great stuff. If money were no object I might have sprung for the xd's. I am buying what I want to buy so save your breath. Fusion's axles are well built and will be built exactly the way I want them to be built. Dan at Fusion was by far the most helpful and patient with my questions. He actually asked about my Jeep, future plans and what I wanted to do. They come with their tie rod and drag link which pretty much negates your price comparison and in my opinion are a better option for me and what I want to do. Eric at Dynatrac was a really nice guy and also very helpful so no problems there. David at Currie I thought I actually heard him yawning during our phone call. Answered my questions but very dry and really sounded like I was just another guy asking a bunch of stupid questions about axles he can't afford. Too bad because I like Currie and used them for all of my drag racing and old Ford truck days but he was just an ass. Bubba was great too. Very informative and was looking into several options for me as well. I even talked to David at NR he was very helpful and informative about everything but made a cardinal mistake in my book and tried to talk down about his competitors. His comments turned me immediately away and the were the same almost verbatim as yours. I'm sorry you put yourself in that category. All of which have nothing to do with what I am asking of others who chose to purchase Fusions axles and I really had no intention of posting about so thanks for bringing it up. Please let's not waste any more of our time on it. It's my money and I will buy what makes sense to me.

Jesus Christ. Thought I was reading a damn novel.

Nobody is saying fusion 4x4 sucks, and personally I’m strongly leaning towards their steering kit. What we’re saying is why on earth would you pay 1,000 dollars more for axles when dyantac, a proven axle builder, offers exactly what you’re looking for?

A.J.

Jesus Christ. Thought I was reading a damn novel.

Nobody is saying fusion 4x4 sucks, and personally I’m strongly leaning towards their steering kit. What we’re saying is why on earth would you pay 1,000 dollars more for axles when dyantac, a proven axle builder, offers exactly what you’re looking for?

Yeah sorry that was pretty long. Just wanted to get it over with in one post. Lol! Like I said nothing against Dynatrac. They just came in second. Trust me it wasn’t an easy decision.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Where did I say I wanted to get in a shit stirring match? I simply asked what I was missing that someone would spend $1000 more for junkyard axles and not buy brand new made in the USA axles. You still haven’t answered that besides saying you think fusion is nice to talk to on the phone.

Top Bottom