Another caster question

JK2DR

I just installed my evo 3" enforcer and am having some flighty steering. Tried doing some research on here and reading Eddies alignment post, but this stuff is starting to confuse me.
The first picture is the reading at the circle on the axle housing by the diff cover, second picture is the bottom of the steering knuckle on the driver side and third picture is passenger steering knuckle. Do these look right or is my caster still off? I set the lower control arms to the 22 7/8 like evo recommended

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_3553.jpg IMG_3554.jpg IMG_3556.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Looks to me like you barely need about one more degree. So extend your lower arms maybe 1 or 2 turns. Also as flat an easy as it may seem to measure at the bottom of the knuckle, that's not always an accurate spot, hard to get perfectly flat there.

Basically what you're wanting is the ball joints (pretend there is an imaginary line through the upper and lower one) to point 4.2 degrees toward the rear of the vehicle. When the proper caster is achieved, the front of the pumpkin will measure 92.

Looks like you're sitting at 3.5 degrees. Also make sure your tire pressure is around 30 psi.

Last edited:

JK2DR

Looks to me like you barely need about one more degree. So extend your lower arms maybe 1 or 2 turns. Also as flat an easy as it may seem to measure at the bottom of the knuckle, that's not always an accurate spot, hard to get perfectly flat there.

Basically what you're wanting is the ball joints (pretend there is an imaginary line through the upper and lower one) to point 4.2 degrees toward the rear of the vehicle. When the proper caster is achieved, the front of the pumpkin will measure 92.

Awesome, thats what i was looking for, Thanks!
Would 1 degree make that big of difference on the flighty steering or is that something else? I did not do the drag link flip yet, and the front axle is shifted so I was thinking that may be part of it

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome, thats what i was looking for, Thanks!
Would 1 degree make that big of difference on the flighty steering or is that something else? I did not do the drag link flip yet, and the front axle is shifted so I was thinking that may be part of it

1 degree will make a noticeable difference. However, is the symptom you're having when you're at moderate or highway speeds or just when hitting bumps in town? Front axle shift won't create any handling symptoms.

JK2DR

1 degree will make a noticeable difference. However, is the symptom you're having when you're at moderate or highway speeds or just when hitting bumps in town? Front axle shift won't create any handling symptoms.

Mainly at city street speeds, highway isnt too bad but its there. I have no bump steer, it just likes to wander side to side in the lanes

PHX JK

I just installed my 4in Enforcer and set it at 4.7

At 22 7/8 on my 4in kit the caster was at 3.8. I used the alignment rack at work. PM me if you need help setting it up I'm in Phoenix too.
Before the lift my Stock JK was at 4.2 so you want at least 4.2

I flipped the draglink and had a Synergy Weld-On track bar bracket and it really handles good. I used the Currie Currectlync Steering with flipped draglink.
PHX

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Mainly at city street speeds, highway isnt too bad but its there. I have no bump steer, it just likes to wander side to side in the lanes

It's likely related to caster then. If you don't have bump steer, you may not even want to worry about doing the DL flip.

Top Bottom