another tire question

tinkering1

nope no pic attached :cheesy:
Yup, I haven't yet figured out how to attach images consistently. Phone pops up with an error message. Tried downloading the app but I can't even find my profile on it. Anyway, it's not anything to look at yet anyway. I'm learning that it takes some time to get it like I want it.

Grubbicon

My friend on a teraflex 2.5 and 35s and flexing on my 37s ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403274031.665464.jpg and also to upload a picture when you get here click the one in between the camera and twitter ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403274102.711083.jpg

tinkering1

Ok, so when I go to regear, is an open carrier a POS? I know I'll need a new front carrier. Now I'm hearing terms like locker and such and have no idea what I really need. Keep in mind, my "wheeling" consists of going through the occasional mud hole to find my next place to hunt or fish. I'm not a rock crawler. I've heard/read that open carriers will wear out fast. Is that if your climbing mountains, or just in general?

StrizzyChris

Ok, so when I go to regear, is an open carrier a POS? I know I'll need a new front carrier. Now I'm hearing terms like locker and such and have no idea what I really need. Keep in mind, my "wheeling" consists of going through the occasional mud hole to find my next place to hunt or fish. I'm not a rock crawler. I've heard/read that open carriers will wear out fast. Is that if your climbing mountains, or just in general?

No, and open carrier will not wear out fast. They are actually one of the safest carriers to use to prevent damage to not only the carrier, but also everything else inside the differential (i.e. ring and pinion, axle shafts). Due to the design of an open diff, it limits bind by shifting the engine's power to the wheel of least resistance/traction.

The problem with an open diff is that it shifts the power to the wheel of least resistance. When in the mud, you'll get NOWHERE! In the rocks or other off road situation it's not as bad as long as you have both wheels on the ground. The instant one tire comes off the ground, that axle becomes useless at propelling you forward.

tinkering1

35's with 2.5 lift and 4.56 gears View attachment 89087

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No, and open carrier will not wear out fast. They are actually one of the safest carriers to use to prevent damage to not only the carrier, but also everything else inside the differential (i.e. ring and pinion, axle shafts). Due to the design of an open diff, it limits bind by shifting the engine's power to the wheel of least resistance/traction.

The problem with an open diff is that it shifts the power to the wheel of least resistance. When in the mud, you'll get NOWHERE! In the rocks or other off road situation it's not as bad as long as you have both wheels on the ground. The instant one tire comes off the ground, that axle becomes useless at propelling you forward.

Yeah, seems like going through mud, snow, or ice, you'd want the power on the wheel with MOST resistance. So what's the best option for those situations?

KJ_CJtoJK

This is not entirely true of the open diffs in the JK Wrangler. The modern Wrangler uses a brake lock differential to limit spinning of the wheel with least resistance. When the one wheel with least resistance starts spinning the traction control applies the brakes to the spinning wheel to force the power to shift to the wheel with traction . It is pretty amazing to watch in action. Even if you turn off the stability control the brake lock differential remains on (can not be defeated).

tinkering1

If I understand what I've read correctly, I'll still be using the same rear carrier with the new gears, so the behavior of the rear end will remain the same aside from having more pull with the lower gearing. True?

KJ_CJtoJK

Yes, the brake lock differential will still function as before with new gears since the feature is part of the vehicle's stability control system (it is an open differential with limited slip/locking occurring thru selective braking action controlled by the stability control using the wheels ABS sensors).

tinkering1

That makes me think I'll be fine with an open carrier in the front for the beginner type off roading I do. It's my daily, so it's about 80 to 85% road and 15 to 20% other (mostly unfinished roads that get slushy sometimes). It's usually when I'm exploring for new places to hunt/fish that I get in over my head. These places are why I got the jeep. Digging a two wheel drive out with windshield scrapers or whatever you have on hand just never was my idea of a good time. Aside from almost sliding sideways into a pond on these street tires, I haven't had any problem going anywhere I want on the jeep. It will probably always impress me. Maybe I'll be more adventurous once it's paid for. For now I'm content to stay small time with my adventures.
Hey, I appreciate all the input y'all. Jeep is the only vehicle I've ever owned that came with real internet support like this. I never thought I could learn so much about my vehicle. It's awesome to be able to jump on here and search topics I'm curious about or needing to know about. Thanks

KJ_CJtoJK

Yes, I think you will be good with open differentials (with the aid of the stock brake lock differential) with the type of off-road driving you have described. Lockers are really only a benefit for rock crawling. I have open diff's and do a lot of 4-wheelen in the snow. I have gotten myself stuck many times (pushing envelope with group of other jeeps) and I have never felt like lockers would have gotten me out. In fact my brother drives an early CJ-5 with automatic lockers (Detroit Lockers) and he never gets any further down the snow covered trail than I do.

I think you would be better served with a winch before lockers (sounds like you are off-road alone a lot).

tinkering1

Yes, always alone. That's why I bought a 4x4. I've always had trucks and grieved the loss of the bed, but I've taken the back seat out of the jeep and can haul a deer or ice chest in that space, and have grown to love my jeep in spore of not being able to haul dirt for the yard and stuff like that in it. I could I guess, but I'm glad not to. But yeah, my son lives in Texas and I'm in Arkansas so hunting for one of us to go together would be costly. But my wife works days and I work evening and night, so yes, I'm alone most of the time. Plus, she doesn't hunt, just eats a little of what I cook with what I get... If it's not too spicy which is rare. I've always heard spicy is good for you and I like it that way so... Again. Thanks A LOT!!! Great info.

tinkering1

Yes, I think you will be good with open differentials (with the aid of the stock brake lock differential) with the type of off-road driving you have described. Lockers are really only a benefit for rock crawling. I have open diff's and do a lot of 4-wheelen in the snow. I have gotten myself stuck many times (pushing envelope with group of other jeeps) and I have never felt like lockers would have gotten me out. In fact my brother drives an early CJ-5 with automatic lockers (Detroit Lockers) and he never gets any further down the snow covered trail than I do.

I think you would be better served with a winch before lockers (sounds like you are off-road alone a lot).

And yes, I do have the winch now. I built my front bumper and winch plate and relocated that crazy vacuum thing they put in the way when they built it. That was my first mod. It's not anything special, but I built it for a couple hundred and saved some bucks for other stuff..... I just can't seem to find where I put the savings. Pics of the bumper and winch mount are in my one measly photo album.

Brankz

Don't buy 33s please! Because I was impatience I got 33s, now I hate them they look small! Almost small like a hummer h2 :O
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403937459.350271.jpg
Go and get 35s

tinkering1

Don't buy 33s please! Because I was impatience I got 33s, now I hate them they look small! Almost small like a hummer h2 :O
View attachment 89564
Go and get 35s
Thanks, I will. I'm sold on the 35s. Just gotta decide which greats to go with for them on my stick shift. I was thinking 4.10 but the charts and some folks say 4.56, and some even opt for 4.88 which might be too much for my needs. Just trying to decide between the 10 & 56 really.

Top Bottom