Another Tire Thread - Help a guy decide on his next set of road/trail tires

The weight weenies like me I found that Nitto makes the TG in both a 315/70x17 and a 35x12.5x17. The 315 is a "D" and the 35 is am "E". The D weighs WAY less coming in at a confirmed 59lbs. It is also more compliant to narrower rims. You do sacrifice 1/32" of tread and 0.23" in diameter.

This is the direction I am going :)

dgriz

The weight weenies like me I found that Nitto makes the TG in both a 315/70x17 and a 35x12.5x17. The 315 is a "D" and the 35 is am "E". The D weighs WAY less coming in at a confirmed 59lbs. It is also more compliant to narrower rims. You do sacrifice 1/32" of tread and 0.23" in diameter.

This is the direction I am going :)

Oooohhh, now there's an interesting tidbit... Where did you find that weight info?

Oooohhh, now there's an interesting tidbit... Where did you find that weight info?

I called and asked a rep from National Tire and Wheel. They confirmed it by shipping records. It makes since tough. Less belts = less weight. :rock:

This was the final nudge I needed to go for this heavily praised tire.

dgriz

I called and asked a rep from National Tire and Wheel. They confirmed it by shipping records. It makes since tough. Less belts = less weight. :rock:

This was the final nudge I needed to go for this heavily praised tire.

This might be that same nudge for me unless someone can convince me otherwise prior to pulling the trigger. But if they are only 59 lbs. it's going to be hard to change my mind at this point. Thanks for the heads up, jnabird333!

This might be that same nudge for me unless someone can convince me otherwise prior to pulling the trigger. But if they are only 59 lbs. it's going to be hard to change my mind at this point. Thanks for the heads up, jnabird333!

No problem! Even if they are full of crap, (which is always possible) the D has to be lighter than the E... Let me know how it works out for you. I will be getting tires soon and these are now at the top of the list.

dgriz

I found a comment by Eddie on another thread...

I have run a lot if different tires over the years and have to say that Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo MTs are the best for what you are looking for. Of all the tires I have run, Goodyear MT/R's have been the worst. Hard to balance, tracks funny and have really weak sidewalls.

I think I just went from a nudge to a shove. Nitto Trail Grapplers win!

rtguy1

careful going by shipping weights. there are a ton of discrepencies in shipping weights for all kinds of things including tires. i was looking at wheel weight and found some differences of more than 20lbs for the exact same wheel. idk wtf? when i ordered my current wheels shipping weight said 22lbs. they weigh 30lbs each lol. just a heads up

dgriz

FYI, I contacted Nitto directly and got the following OFFICIAL weights on the Trail Grapplers...

35x12.5R17 = 79.37
315/70R17 = 76.06

Not a lot of difference unfortunately.

Bummer... Looks like it will be the ProComp Xtreme MT2s for me. My buddy just received his 35s and they weighed 89 pounds mounted on mickey classics (17s). I'm guessing that puts the tires in the mid-60 lbs range.

I'd like to go the Nitto route, but can't justify the extra 10 lbs of weight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spartan

Bummer... Looks like it will be the ProComp Xtreme MT2s for me. My buddy just received his 35s and they weighed 89 pounds mounted on mickey classics (17s). I'm guessing that puts the tires in the mid-60 lbs range.

Why not KM2's?

bl17z90

Why does an extra 10 pounds mean to much to you. I have 35" trail grapplers and my 3.8 with 3.73's turns them just fine.

Couple of reasons...

1 rolling weight has drastic impacts on vehicle performance. I've been into road racing, drag racing, and I'm still an avid cyclist. In all these hobbies the best performance mods I've made was reducing the rolling mass. Contrary to what many think even 2 pounds can be felt. Lighter tires will spin up faster and have less impact on the driveline doing it. This can be seen in MPG loss, while this is not my primary concern I like the idea of conserving efficiency.

2 my Jeep is regularly driven by my wife. She weighs around 120 wet. She is put together pretty well but a wheel and tire combo too far over 90 pounds means she can't change a tire solo. Even at 85 to 90 pounds I don't expect her to remount on the carrier. But I think she can get the spare down and play with the jack to get it on. The flat will have to just get chucked in the back.

I know there are plenty of guys that run these tires and love them. But for those in the mud belt... The heavy tires are harder to spin up quickly. Thus have a slower clean out and will get you stuck at the bottom of a slimy hill.

Why not KM2's?

Sidewall weakness and lack of lateral stability on muddy hills. I've witnessed 3 sidewall and one tread failure this year alone. The same guys were not able to cling to a greasy hill when it pitched sideways.

Only one guy runs the Nittos and they do well when he can get up enough speed to keep them clean... VERY well when dry.

I dont think its the 50 lbs per se. I think its the greater efficiency achieved at not having those 50 lbs on the tires...

Yes... Exactly. I could care less about the 50 pounds.... My concern is for it in the wheel and tire combo. And specifically the tire as its weight is the furthest point from the rotational center and will have the larger impact.

I had no idea I could get some of these tires so cheap (under $300). This makes my decision a little easier...

I'm definitely going with a M/T tire at this point. These tires, in addition to being used for my DD, will also eventually see trails like Rubicon, Dusi-Ershan, and Moab, not to mention the other trails near me in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The finalists at this point are:

Nitto Trail Grappler - If I ignore the weight differences, I'd say Nitto is probably my first choice. It sounds like they have good tread life and I haven't heard a single negative regarding its trail abilities. They're even quieter on the pavement than most M/Ts. But that heavy tire is going to kill my MPGs as a DD, right?

Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs - These are a lot lighter, but I'm reading some people are having balancing issues as well as some soft spots on the sidewalls. Again, no knocks on trail abilities, but I don't hear many people talk about how they are as a DD. I can tolerate the balancing issues, but bad sidewalls is not something I want to deal with. I need some more input from those that run these or have close friends that do.

As a DD, I have to consider the ride quality on the road. Goodyear's Load Rating of C or D, depending on the size, should ride better than Nitto's E rated Trail Grappler. Probably one of the reasons Nitto is so much heavier. But how do they handle highways and corners?

So my questions:
- Is tread life on these two similar?
- Does one have better ride on the pavement?
- Are the sidewalls on the Goodyear anything I should worry about?
- Is 10 lbs. per tire enough to make a difference?

Here is a link which was forwarded to be me by a buddy and will help answer a lot of yout questions.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/MT-Mud_Terrains.htm

You have a question about a specific tire just find it and look. As for the MT/R's the research I have done shows the tread chunks and they are a very heavy tire.

R/
Will

Top Bottom