Antenna delete?

Frydaddy

I've never heard of anyone stealing those before or using them to break a windshield. You must have pissed off some people or something lol

I haven't seen it in the wild, but I hear you hold the antenna against the windshield about 12" from the end, pull back the ball tip, and let her fly. In and out 5 seconds. Though, now your fingerprints are everywhere.

davidc128

20170629_181419.jpg 20170629_181430.jpg 20170629_181830.jpg
Ok so i forgot to take a picture of the connector so a pic of the back of the antenna mount will have to do... the window mount linked above will plug into the connector at the back of the antenna mount... i never found a connector under the passenger dash even after pulling the glove box... so the connector i didnt take a pic of is a 90° connector and i couldnt get it pulled thru and into the cab... plan b... plug antenna into 90° connector and mount under hood... idk how the heat will affect it but well know soon enough heat index is around 100 here... not my best work but hopefully itll last and if it frys oh well its only $8 ... the trail badge looks great im very happy with it... and fm reception seems to be good... bout bout the same as my stubby... it was better on the windshield like its supposed to b mounted... but worst case ill get a splitter and put another antenna sonewhere

Last edited:

Frydaddy

Ok so i forgot to take a picture of the connector so a pic of the back of the antenna mount will have to do... the window mount linked above will plug into the connector at the back of the antenna mount... i never found a connector under the passenger dash even after pulling the glove box... so the connector i didnt take a pic of is a 90° connector and i couldnt get it pulled thru and into the cab... plan b... plug antenna into 90° connector and mount under hood... idk how the heat will affect it but well know soon enough heat index is around 100 here... not my best work but hopefully itll last and if it frys oh well its only $8 ... the trail badge looks great im very happy with it... and fm reception seems to be good... bout bout the same as my stubby... it was better on the windshield like its supposed to b mounted... but worst case ill get a splitter and put another antenna sonewhere

Outstanding, I'm glad you got it hooked up so quick, and i am extremely surprised you are picking up anything under the hood. I took wireless design and radio theory in college, and that antenna position is giving me a hemorrhage:eek:. Its like sticking it in a Faraday cage. This is why i never gave in to the stubby antenna hype either.

LOL, but it works! Now for phase two, get the adapter to go straight to the radio and mount it on the windshield. I assume vertically polarized would be best.

You said something about having a spare badge?

davidc128

Yea pm me ur address and ill send the badge your way... but yea i will be adding a splitter and putting one on the windshield too

davidc128

Update: i moved the antenna inside and put it vertically on the passenger side windshield... instead of pulling the dash i cut coax cable under passenger side dash and put a type f male end on it... then i found a type f female to rca female adapter plugged everything up taped everthing up ... ill post pics once the rain leaves

Frydaddy

Well I finally installed it. I have mixed feelings on the quality. I peeled back the 3M tape, and saw how they wired it up. I think a calibrated wire would probably do better. (http://w6dek.com/dipole.html)

I wanted to put it vertically on the windshield, but it would be too distracting. (remember, all my mods are well hidden) But theres room INSIDE the A-pillar plastic.

IMG_20170727_172227992_HDR.jpg

Only stuck a little bit, since I'm not sure where I want it.
IMG_20170727_172426404.jpg

Tried routing it through the dash, then realized there is a massive gap up by the windshield.
IMG_20170727_172646874.jpg

This Dipole Calculator might be a better visual aid, The numbers can be fractioned, usually in half or quarter. http://www.westmountainradio.com/antenna_calculator.php?frequency=97

Last edited:
Top Bottom