Any ideas how to tow a JK 5000 miles for not so much money? Might be Moab bound.

Ddays

Hooked
Well, I have seen numbers like $500 cross country to ship.

Personally I get between 10 to 14 mpg depending on speed and headwind... So let's say 13 mpg ave at 70 mpg (drops quickly above that)... now 5000 miles round trip would be 385 gallons of gas and current national average is $2.28 ($3 here in wonderful CA) so that's $880 in fuel round trip.

Now let's look at time, 5000 mikes/70 mph is 72h of driving. If you drive 12h a day, that's 6 days round trip, so assuming you are employed you burn 6 days of vacation to get there vs 2 if you fly... So 4 days of work at say $20/hr is $640 you would have made working...

$880 + $640 = $1,520. So if you find a round trip flight for $520 +1,000 to ship the jeep it literally costs the same. The more you make over $20/hr or the less vacation you have means the more worth it that it is. That's not counting road meals, hotels on the road, etc.

Just my opinion.

$500 would make for a tough argument to drive unless you haven't driven out West before from the East. If you haven't it is totally worth it, especially when you get across the Midwest to the mountains. I couldn't find anyone cheaper than $1500 each way. maybe I didn't look hard enough. Windshield time is the big issue and it is long. We drove 18 hrs the first leg of the trip to and from so that the second day was a little easier. There is something to be said about flying if you can lower your shipping cost but again, first trip was worth it to us.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Maybe you could hire someone to drive it out there for you, old retired guy wanting to supplement his social security, college kid needing summer cash, last option sounds slightly risky, I'd do it if I had the time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Maybe you could hire someone to drive it out there for you, old retired guy wanting to supplement his social security, college kid needing summer cash, last option sounds slightly risky, I'd do it if I had the time.

I thought the same thing but these images continuously popped up in my brain

ferris-bueller-ferrari-jump.jpg article-2354841-1AA32A06000005DC-991_634x342.jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
Nobody is driving my jeep.

We're exploring the idea of hiring a car hauler to take several jeeps out in one shot and split the bill. If it's the same or less costs than fuel and hotels and avoiding 6 days of highway driving plus 5k miles of
Wear and tear, it might be worth it.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I agree, that's funny, but these guys could be working for whatever transport company you hire too.

I'm with everyone else here, road trip is the best part, although not having been to Moab yet I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I thought the same thing but these images continuously popped up in my brain

View attachment 264754 View attachment 264755
Lol! The last time someone drove my vehicle they totaled it. It was an ex buddy!!
Nobody is driving my jeep.

We're exploring the idea of hiring a car hauler to take several jeeps out in one shot and split the bill. If it's the same or less costs than fuel and hotels and avoiding 6 days of highway driving plus 5k miles of
Wear and tear, it might be worth it.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Road trips can be great, but I'm heading out solo, so that will be lonely until I get out there.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm with everyone else here, road trip is the best part, although not having been to Moab yet I could be wrong.

The part of that trip that we will be talking about forever is the unbelievably dramatic changes in topography between Denver and Moab. You go from plains to mountains to plateaus to the cliffs and valleys in Moab.
Its stunning. I don't know of a stretch of road anywhere that there is so much of a difference. We took 128 off of I70 into Moab and honestly wondered where in the Hell we were going. Then 128 winds along the Colorado River with NO GUARDRAILS
and frankly is kinda scary the first time through. Especially when you are not accustomed to those kind of shelf roads. We have guardrails everywhere back East - out there its like they didn't want to bother. After being there a day or so you quit thinking about it & don't really notice, but at first, man you're really cheating to the inside lane of those turns!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
We drove our 2Door Jk from North Alabama to Colarado/Moab and Vegas with several scenic side roads along the way, 5500 miles in 15 days . That's was the best vacation ever, we are planning on doing the same thing next year. Drive it [emoji1303]

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Road trips can be great, but I'm heading out solo, so that will be lonely until I get out there.

Honestly it isn't that bad. When I went I was solo as well. Pulled two 14 hour drive days and a 6 hour drive day, kept myself busy with lots of music, and people watched as they drove past me. It was entertaining to say the least.

Top Bottom