Any Mountain Bikers?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've ridden my fair share of single track. Haven't had much time as of late.

Notable bikes I've owned...

GT Zaskar (stolen)
Mantis Pro Floater (those that have been around for a while know the significance of this bike...still have it)
Gary Fisher X-caliber 29r
Ventana el Conquistador de Montanas (full suspension tandem mountain bike. I built this bike from the frame up while working in a bike shop during grad school.)

We also have a couple of Trek road bikes, which haven't seen much mileage after we bought the jeep.

Tigrcky

SS is the only way to go.... Ive been out of the game for about 3 years. Need to get back into it.

Yeah get back into it!!!!

I had a GT Force 3.0 but never felt comfortable on it. (craigslist) Just never got around to getting another one. Maybe once I move........

i have never liked the GTs much myself, to much of a downhill rake feel to them, they just feel odd.

You look more like you are modeling than biking!:cheesy:

well you know when in moab you must strike a pose :cheesy:

Here is my santacruz I picked up early this year, and only got to ride maybe 1 or 2 times. Not many good trails where I live, well most became overgrown this year and my friend sold his bike.

View attachment 54919

View attachment 54920

Also my older specialized rock hopper which I only rode for one season and wanted full suspension, no one wants to buy this one

View attachment 54922

View attachment 54923

love the santa cruzes! great bikes have you ever thought about clip in pedals? twice the power half the energy!

I've been mountain biking for about a year and a half now and it is an addiction. I started out riding a Schwinn full suspension Costco garbage bike. Took it to Oregon and rode the Mackenzie river trail with my brother and I was hooked! Came home and bought a specialized hardrock and rode it for about a year and then moved up to my new bike. It's a Scott Genius 940 29er with a Fox fork and shimano xt components. World of difference. Now I'm riding a couple days a week on the local trails and starting to step up the difficulty of terrain that I ride. View attachment 54926

its odd how addictive mt biking and jeeping are!

I've ridden my fair share of single track. Haven't had much time as of late.

Notable bikes I've owned...

GT Zaskar (stolen)
Mantis Pro Floater (those that have been around for a while know the significance of this bike...still have it)
Gary Fisher X-caliber 29r
Ventana el Conquistador de Montanas (full suspension tandem mountain bike. I built this bike from the frame up while working in a bike shop during grad school.)

We also have a couple of Trek road bikes, which haven't seen much mileage after we bought the jeep.

i built my K2 from the frame up as well its a great experience i have a 2003 ralieigh grand sport roadie with arrobars on it that i used for gen riding and tri training! try to get out and ride!!! :thumb:

Great bikes people I hope someday I can not only wheel with you but bike as well! :thumb:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
love the santa cruzes! great bikes have you ever thought about clip in pedals? twice the power half the energy!

I actually do have a set, but usually just leave my platforms on for what little bit I ride anymore. I do have clips on my fixie/track bike tho.

Tigrcky

I actually do have a set, but usually just leave my platforms on for what little bit I ride anymore. I do have clips on my fixie/track bike tho.

sweet yeah if you are just doing little rides its a hassle wearing the shoes, i used to have a set of pedals that were a clip in/platform combo, best set of learners i ever had!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
sweet yeah if you are just doing little rides its a hassle wearing the shoes, i used to have a set of pedals that were a clip in/platform combo, best set of learners i ever had!

my friend has those, but no shoes and they are dangerous as just platforms, well my foot kept slipping off when i tested them out without my actual shoes.

I just have the normal beater style for the mtb and shimanos for the fixie

Tigrcky

my friend has those, but no shoes and they are dangerous as just platforms, well my foot kept slipping off when i tested them out without my actual shoes.

I just have the normal beater style for the mtb and shimanos for the fixie

yeah if i recall i had that issue as well, but will admit for learning how to use the shimano style clipless they were great, where are you currently located and what kind of trails are there?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
In pa. We have a local area called Blue Marsh that has over 32 miles of trails, mostly round trip, but does offer quite a few other smaller loops that are fun but mostly everything is up hills which gets tiring very fast. Our local "mountain" also has very good trials (Mt. Penn, Reading, PA) which had a down hill race about 2 years ago. There are a few videos on youtube for that I think. White Clay Creek is supposed to be very good and I think somewhere in deleware which is not too far for me, but never got to ride there yet.

Tigrcky

In pa. We have a local area called Blue Marsh that has over 32 miles of trails, mostly round trip, but does offer quite a few other smaller loops that are fun but mostly everything is up hills which gets tiring very fast. Our local "mountain" also has very good trials (Mt. Penn, Reading, PA) which had a down hill race about 2 years ago. There are a few videos on youtube for that I think. White Clay Creek is supposed to be very good and I think somewhere in deleware which is not too far for me, but never got to ride there yet.

im sure that would be very different to the riding i do here in colorado but sounds like fun! :thumb:

USMCJK

I've been mountain biking for about a year and a half now and it is an addiction. I started out riding a Schwinn full suspension Costco garbage bike. Took it to Oregon and rode the Mackenzie river trail with my brother and I was hooked! Came home and bought a specialized hardrock and rode it for about a year and then moved up to my new bike. It's a Scott Genius 940 29er with a Fox fork and shimano xt components. World of difference. Now I'm riding a couple days a week on the local trails and starting to step up the difficulty of terrain that I ride. View attachment 54926

Awesome pic..!!

I use to be all about biking back in the day when the only dual suspension bikes out there were used for downhill, and xc was riding on a hard tail. I dont know if anyone will even remember these bikes. I use to race xc on the first gary fisher carbon (before they were bought by trek) a Schwinn homegrown (before they went bankrupt), and specialized s works. for downhill i started out racing on a schwinn straight 8 I believe it was called and a specialized team downhill. only bike i have now is a switch s3 for free riding after i stopped racing.

crazy thinking back on it now how the industry has changed so much

Tigrcky

I use to be all about biking back in the day when the only dual suspension bikes out there were used for downhill, and xc was riding on a hard tail. I dont know if anyone will even remember these bikes. I use to race xc on the first gary fisher carbon (before they were bought by trek) a Schwinn homegrown (before they went bankrupt), and specialized s works. for downhill i started out racing on a schwinn straight 8 I believe it was called and a specialized team downhill. only bike i have now is a switch s3 for free riding after i stopped racing.

crazy thinking back on it now how the industry has changed so much

I would still rather take a hard tail carbon over a full suspension for XC any day of the week, less stuff to break on the ride, less weight and less lock outs to deal with! Thanks for chiming in! :thumb:

i agree, now that carbon technology has developed a little further. that fisher carbon frame cracked after 1 month of riding it. I think that was the only carbon frame fisher ever made im assuming for that reason lol. they wanted to give me another one and i said no, so they gave me their lightest aluminum frame with a fork. but these days i would jump on a carbon frame in a heart beat

mgmavant

Kind of hard to see in the picture, but its a Specialized carbon stumpy with upgraded cranks, bars, wheels, seat tube, converted to 2x10 SRAM xo and xx bits. Yup, just like the Jeep. Picture was taken at the SM100. Also have a SS Epic Marathon and a Gunner Cross Hairs. A few road bikes in the mix, too.

Sent from my MB860 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1383170272191.jpg
    1383170272191.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 224
Top Bottom