Any off-grid jeepers in Colorado?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have the answer, the mountains outside wheatland, Wyoming, go to a place called fletcher park route,that is where the mail stops going up the mountain, the gets dropped off & picked up there Monday Wednesday and Friday in good weather. By the way fedex & ups don't delivery there. It is above the check stations, so don't need a permit to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Might have to look into that.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Our main goal id to be mortgage free and around less people!:) We have narrowed it down to a post and beam straw bale house or a timber frame under 900 sq ft. I am cool with a slab foundation. It really depends on the elevation of the lot. We love our very adobe and how efficient is. We have a swamp cooler for cooling and has gotten it down to 57 degrees. We have radiant floor heating with Saltillo tile throughout and a kiva for heat. We have had 5 properties(each one I thought would be my last) and this one has been the lowest utility bills. We have had square footage from 1300 over 3000. One being a log home. This place is over 1700. We want to simplify our lives as well. One bedroom, one bath, kitchen and living area with more outdoor space like a deck and covered porch. For giggles, I have priced lumber for a 1200 sq ft house without windows and doors weathered in with pre-made trusses for under $14.000.00. There are pre-cut cabin kits out there for 900 sq ft and start at 23,000 not including delivery which would add another $4000 and I would not go that route. If you stay with a square or rectangle design no kick outs and even square footage you can save alot and less cuts. Your studs are already pre-cut at the lumberyard. I would of course farm out the electric, etc.

OverKill

I really thought your plan was to mill the wood off the property. Square and round are more efficient, as the old settlers and the Eskimo built igloos. Not sure how much snow there is where you are looking, pre-made trusses is a good idea. I know in some places in Wyoming, the snow is cut off from the roof as the snow builds and forms a drift from the roof towards the ground. The bigger issue is the spring thaw, freeze, thaw, freeze; ice builds up under the snow on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

Exposure is definitely a huge consideration. Ideally Southwest is best, the builder of my house in Granby made the mistake of putting the front door on the North East side of the house. It was ridiculous, so much ice build up. I had to chip ice off of the driveway and porch two or three times a week. It would get over a foot thick where it dripped off of the roof. I'll never make that mistake again. In floor radiant heat is the way to go. Wood fired boilers are getting popular, with the amount of beetle kill trees there is plenty of wood that isn't good for anything else. With the right Southwest exposure located on a western slope you really don't need a ton of heat in the southern half of Colorado from my experience. North of I-70 is a little different story. Snow stays on the ground for the entire winter in the valley floor and it gets considerably colder. Fraser valley sees 30 below most nights in winter between January and early March.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Agreed! Got to place cabin correctly. I would to naked some furniture with beetle kill for sure! Cabinets too. We would get pallets and plane for walls as well.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Living off the grid sounds like a lot of work. I just pay some high schooler to come get all the snow out of my driveway. I also just turn up my thermostat on the wall... no need to throw heavy wood around!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
So your lazy! :)

g137601897395124351.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Exposure is definitely a huge consideration. Ideally Southwest is best, the builder of my house in Granby made the mistake of putting the front door on the North East side of the house. It was ridiculous, so much ice build up. I had to chip ice off of the driveway and porch two or three times a week. It would get over a foot thick where it dripped off of the roof. I'll never make that mistake again. In floor radiant heat is the way to go. Wood fired boilers are getting popular, with the amount of beetle kill trees there is plenty of wood that isn't good for anything else. With the right Southwest exposure located on a western slope you really don't need a ton of heat in the southern half of Colorado from my experience. North of I-70 is a little different story. Snow stays on the ground for the entire winter in the valley floor and it gets considerably colder. Fraser valley sees 30 below most nights in winter between January and early March.

It was almost 90 down on the front range here yesterday. We headed up to Grand lake this morning. Come to find out they closed trail ridge about 9am this morning. We talked to a ranger at the top, she said there was over an inch of ice on the road up there. It was snowing on us over 9500.

98XJ06LJ

It was almost 90 down on the front range here yesterday. We headed up to Grand lake this morning. Come to find out they closed trail ridge about 9am this morning. We talked to a ranger at the top, she said there was over an inch of ice on the road up there. It was snowing on us over 9500.
Mother nature is always right on time. It's always around the second week of September when the snow starts at elevation and slowly works it way down into the valley. By Halloween it's sticking and staying in the valley. Then it's white until spring. Time to start planning some snow Wheeling trips!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
House on the market gonna go from a 1700 sq ft place to a cute 660 sq ft place testing the waters on that size. Gonna rent a while til we find a piece of land to start.! Wooohoo!!!! Gonna miss the current house lots of character, however we will add a bunch to the new place!

adobe4.jpg

adobe.jpg

adobe1.jpg

adobe2.jpg

adobe3.jpg

Top Bottom