Anyone regret going to 37s?

pastorwug

Every now and then I look at my Jeep and wonder how it is that I own such an awesome vehicle.
I haven't EVER regretted going to 37s, I'm sure I would have regretted 35s.
Thanks Moochie for the wheel spacers! It makes my Jeep even more functional and a bit more awesome!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421686392.136648.jpg

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I was originally thinking of swapping out my pintlers for slabs, but I may just swap the tires in the interest of a little cost savings.

Making the jump to 37s, if initially I get the Cs done along with a regear, will I be happy with the results or will I have wished I did more (hydro, sleeves, etc)?

When I first became addicted to our JK I thought 35s would be all I would ever need or want. But before I even purchased them, I started to waiver on my resolve and consider 37s. I ended up pulling the trigger and going with 37s and am VERY happy I did.

IMO, it is pretty easy to get 35s under a JK and performing well yet the jump to 37s requires a little more investment.

I ran 37s all last year without hydraulic assist. For general street driving we were fine. On our local trails (all dirt) we were fine but I could hear the pump growling and crying for help. When I got into the rocks…. Forget about it. Line choices were much more difficult because I simply couldn’t turn. Late in the season I was wheeling with some of the guys here and I ended up in a tricky spot where I thought I was going to snap my ball joints. The whole thing could’ve been avoided it I could’ve just turned a little while crawling.

big dr

I have 37's on a 12' automatic,, and 5:13's are to much gear for regular highway driving. I'm at 3,000 rpm at 70mph,,, I would prefer to have a lower engine speed at cruise. If you have an auto,, I suggest 4:88's, Manual,,,, Maybe 5:13.

AcB-jk

If you have a D30 up front you don't want to go to 5.13 gears because that will leave you with a really small pinion and that will make your ring and pinion the weakest point in your differential. 4.88 is a better fit if you don't have D44 or above.

ttfhell

I fully disagree with 4.88 gears. I ran them for about a year. At least if you carry weight and like the gas pedal. 4.88's were great with no doors/top or gear. If you climb mountain roads, carry much gear or passengers, or like to drive fast stay away from 4.88 in an auto. Your jeep will be hunting for gears all the time on hills and run harder at high rpms. I get it if it is a daily driver but otherwise don't do it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I have 37's on a 12' automatic,, and 5:13's are to much gear for regular highway driving. I'm at 3,000 rpm at 70mph,,, I would prefer to have a lower engine speed at cruise. If you have an auto,, I suggest 4:88's, Manual,,,, Maybe 5:13.

I have 37's on a 12 auto and have 4:88's. I'm at 2800 rpm's at 70 these gears seem really good with this set up.

AcB-jk

But with that Dana 30 up front you can run 5.13s but you'll up breaking something eventually because the ring and pinion with be the weakest point of the differential. But if you're running rubicon axles then run 5.13s all day. I put 4.88s in mine because it's my daily driver and im running my Dana 30 until it breaks.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I have 37's on a 12 auto and have 4:88's. I'm at 2800 rpm's at 70 these gears seem really good with this set up.

I have an 11 auto w/ 37s and 4.88s. At 70 I'm 2200 rpm.

Anyone know why the difference?

I turn my overdrive off for long climbs and my rpms are 2400.
Doesn't add up to me

Bacon

I have an 11 auto w/ 37s and 4.88s. At 70 I'm 2200 rpm.

Anyone know why the difference?

I turn my overdrive off for long climbs and my rpms are 2400.
Doesn't add up to me

Your '11 has a four speed auto and the '12+ has a five speed. The top gear ratio in the two transmissions is different. I don't know the numbers, but I know they're different.

But with that Dana 30 up front you can run 5.13s but you'll up breaking something eventually because the ring and pinion with be the weakest point of the differential. But if you're running rubicon axles then run 5.13s all day. I put 4.88s in mine because it's my daily driver and im running my Dana 30 until it breaks.

with the c-gussets in place, will a d30 even hold up to 37s? Im askin cause i dont wanna waste money regearing my d30 and d44 (3.21 gears) if the d30 is gonna flop in a week. 2012 jkus auto.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
with the c-gussets in place, will a d30 even hold up to 37s? Im askin cause i dont wanna waste money regearing my d30 and d44 (3.21 gears) if the d30 is gonna flop in a week. 2012 jkus auto.

Yea it may hold up for a little bit but any wheeling especially wheeling it hard may cause some damage. It would be better to not waist your money and save it for a front Dana 44 then regear the back. That's what I'm doing not one cent is going into my 30.

nicholsmf

Love my 37" Trail Grapplers. I installed Teraflex sleeves, Artec Truss, and Synergy C - Gussets on my D30 before I put them on. Even with 3.73 they are fine for me.

Attachments

• 1421722806529.jpg
    1421722806529.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 635

AcB-jk

In answer to your question yes they will hold and the c-gussets will help but your d30 will eventually break over time If you wheel but it will take time. I regeared mine and they're rolling well right now and im gonna run my d30 until it breaks. Then go to a pr. It's beyond me why they even put a d30 in a jeep unless your mall crawlin.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I don't regret going 37's but I wished I would have done a little more research/ listen to members on here. Once I had the 37's (trail grapplers) put on I had no turning radius. So spacers where the answer. Then I had crazy rubbing when I flexed which was due to the bumpers I had on prior. So front and rear bumpers and trimming the pinch seam where in order. Then my axle seals started blowing out and I'm no where mechanically inclined but I have to say its probably from the wear and tear from the larger tire. I went through two stock lockers ( I didn't pay for the second one). I won't even talk about blowing the gears because they were a time bomb waiting to happen. I think you guys get the point, if you don't want to be the guy driving by your mechanics shop in your wifes car just to stare at your Jeep dreaming of how it once was while waiting for parts, just do the research and I would seriously take the advice of the senior members on here, even over the mechanic.

On a side note, I have a PR44 with a set of 35" EXO grapplers on order. I think this setup should hold me over to save up for a better engine/rear end combo.

Top Bottom