Arthur the brave

TonyP

I think God put you on Earth for this, you are doing a great job

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wooa JKbrick. It would be nice to think that, but there are other people at the sanctuary that do a lot more work than I do with the direct rehabilitation of these little fellas. They are the ones that deserve the credit, certainly not me.

TonyP

Just as an aside bit of info here.
May 18th this year is the official Jeep Topless Day and the local branch of the Jeep Club of SA will be paying a visit to the sanctuary. For obvious security reasons, the sanctuary is not open to the public, but as a proud Jeep JK owner we are going to have the gang here to spend the day. We have set out a bit of an offroad track (18 kilometres) in the reserve so they can also have a bit of driving fun in addition to interacting with the orphans. Should be a fun day and we'll round it off with a cheese and wine get together on the river.

TonyP

I have a 10 second video of young Arthur drinking his milk last night before being tucked up in bed. He is a particularly messy eater, but then he is a real boy.
How do I upload a video to the forum?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I have a 10 second video of young Arthur drinking his milk last night before being tucked up in bed. He is a particularly messy eater, but then he is a real boy.
How do I upload a video to the forum?

You can upload to YouTube and post a link in here.

TonyP

Another crash of white rhinos enter the Rhino Stronghold

On the 11th of January 2019, another young group of orphaned rhinos (Lofo, Twinkle, Busiso, Zac, Jemu, Grey, Spirit and little Lilli) were reintroduced back into the wild at Care for Wild Rhino Sanctuary.
Baby Crash.jpg

This reintroduction was a momentous occasion as for the first time, an orphaned rhino that is still dependent on milk, has been released into the Rhino Stronghold.
Lilli, being only just over a year old and still dependent on her daily feeds is enjoying her new found freedom in the stronghold. Lilli is so confident that she walks out of the bush from the comfort of her crash to her milk bottle given by the rhino-monitors.
Lilly.jpg

The process of reintroducing the new group of orphans to the stronghold has had it's challenges. The older group (Lofo, Twinkle and Busiso) have adapted well to the new surrounding whereas the younger group (Zac, Jemu, Grey and Spirit) are still finding their feet.

We must commend our Anti-Poaching Units for their hard work and dedication towards keeping all of our orphaned rhinos safe this past month. There have been so many new additions to the stronghold, more rhino crashes to keep an eye on, and behavioural changes to the group as a whole. We could not do this without their dedication and love for our rhinos.

BLACK RHINO ORPHANS, ONE STEP CLOSER TO REINTRODUCTION

Phoebe.jpg
This month was a busy month with the introduction of a large number of our orphans into the stronghold. This included three of our black rhino calves.
Phoebe, Badger and Ratu, our three youngest black rhinos, were introduced to a larger area within our quarantine area where they are able to browse and explore their new natural environment.

Phoebe and Ratu’s mothers lost their lives to poachers, whereas Badger lost his mother during a relocation process. They all arrived at Care for Wild Rhino Sanctuary where they have grown together and formed inseparable bonds with each other. All three of the black rhinos have been weaned off milk and are now on natural browse, supplemented with Lucerne.

TonyP

When I posted the above pics, it saddened me to see all these youngsters with their horns cut off. Unfortunately it is a necessity and very easily accomplished in our environment.
The young ones get extremely boisterous with each other while they are in the close confines of their bomas and sharp horns would cause a lot of damage to themselves and the care givers.
There are two schools of thought concerning de-horning rhino in the wild. One is that it saves rhino lives because it makes it unprofitable and dangerous to poach a rhino with no horn, or at best a little stub.
The other school of thought is that with the price of rhino horn on the black market, even the stub is profitable and secondly poachers kill de-horned rhino so that they don't waste time tracking and following a rhino with only a stub the next time they are out on their murderous missions. I lean towards the second school of thought, but what if I'm wrong?

We have incredible teams of anti-poaching rangers on foot and on horseback, along with their tracking dogs, but the more youngsters we release into the wild, the thinner this resource gets on the ground.
On the nights around full moon, it's very difficult to get any sleep, everybody is listening for that dreaded sound of a gun shot.

TonyP

Here's a couple of pics of our young lad Arthur enjoying his milk today (Tuesday 5th March). He attacks that bottle with such gusto it's difficult not to spray it on his face.:cheesy:

IMG-20190305-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20190305-WA0003.jpg

Top Bottom