As promised, Magnusson Supercharger 3.6L Dyno and thoughts...

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
These kits are good to go. Any transmission tuning issues were resolved as of August for the 12-14s.

FYI the Superchips handheld tuners you want to avoid. They are having some issues with some JKs depending on build date.

Also being worked on from what I hear, and only on 14-15 JKs. I'm patiently waiting.

Also, for the money, this just seems like a big waste to me. I'd rather put it into a engine swap. Am I the only one that feels this way about Magnuson and RIPP?

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've read about the 3.6 being designed with big turbo power in mind for future vehicles. The six bolt mains speak to that. Here's the rub. Chrysler can test the engines for a million miles, but only when thousands of engines come out of the engine plant and we put them on the road can the real test begin. I've had a head replaced with no further worries. Right now I'm thinking the 3.6 is a pretty good little engine. However, if I had unlimited jack I'd shoehorn the baddest Hemi or LS ever into the engine compartment. That's not gonna happen. I'm married. I think some type of supercharger could be the answer. Unless there are two turbos, one for low end and one for the top, across the board torque will be hard to achieve. Torque is what off road is all about and torque will get you from A to B really fast. The one thing that gives me real pause is software. There's been a boatload of trouble with the LS and Hemis, not to mention cooling. Those of us who have owned the 3.6 and lived in Arizona know it can handle heat. It's a supercharger for me, but not 'til I read where many other forum members have gone before me. Ok, I'm a chickenshit. I admit it.:twocents:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I've read about the 3.6 being designed with big turbo power in mind for future vehicles. The six bolt mains speak to that. Here's the rub. Chrysler can test the engines for a million miles, but only when thousands of engines come out of the engine plant and we put them on the road can the real test begin. I've had a head replaced with no further worries. Right now I'm thinking the 3.6 is a pretty good little engine. However, if I had unlimited jack I'd shoehorn the baddest Hemi or LS ever into the engine compartment. That's not gonna happen. I'm married. I think some type of supercharger could be the answer. Unless there are two turbos, one for low end and one for the top, across the board torque will be hard to achieve. Torque is what off road is all about and torque will get you from A to B really fast. The one thing that gives me real pause is software. There's been a boatload of trouble with the LS and Hemis, not to mention cooling. Those of us who have owned the 3.6 and lived in Arizona know it can handle heat. It's a supercharger for me, but not 'til I read where many other forum members have gone before me. Ok, I'm a chickenshit. I admit it.:twocents:

A version of the pentastar is on the new Maserati Gigli, which is twin turboed.

Cole Trickle

The LS/Hemi swap will cost you a ton more all in once completed. Seems "alot of people end up having cooling issues with the swaps as well.

I'm a big magnuson fan as I had there kit on my corvette but I'm not sure I see the need to add the extra power or the exspense in a 6,000 lb brick that I use off road.

I have never once needed more power climbing rocks. I think it would actually break parts alot faster.

Too each there own but I have zero desire to boost my jk. I will save that for a performance based vehicle.

Disclaimer....I do understand adding extra power in an extreme build that can handle it. If you can afford to throw 30K worth of axels at your rig by all means you should do a 15-20K LS swap:D

Last edited:
Also being worked on from what I hear, and only on 14-15 JKs. I'm patiently waiting.

Also, for the money, this just seems like a big waste to me. I'd rather put it into a engine swap. Am I the only one that feels this way about Magnuson and RIPP?

No. I think most people actually feel the same way.

LOL. It's easy to say that on the internet and guess what, have you? Most likely no.

The 3.6L is a good motor. You paid for it so use it. Adding a S/C on top of it is the most cost effective and REALISTIC way for most. Any one can say "HEMI swap" or "LS swap' and hit the REPLY button like they've just given God's advice.

Exodus 4x4

LOL. It's easy to say that on the internet and guess what, have you? Most likely no.

The 3.6L is a good motor. You paid for it so use it. Adding a S/C on top of it is the most cost effective and REALISTIC way for most. Any one can say "HEMI swap" or "LS swap' and hit the REPLY button like they've just given God's advice.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459559099.064536.jpg .........

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Welcome to Wayalife from 2014.

Hot94Z28

I say the 3.6 is fine on power, but if I am wanting more power like "real power" than I am going with a LS swap. The after market is huge and a LS series motor is easy to make easy power out of. This is speaking from experience when I use to drag race and I had a LT1 and all the LS guys were making a lot more power than I could with a lot less done to it.

And with off-roading a supercharger will heat soak way too fast and cost you more problems in the long run. This is coming from someone that wanted to run a procharger, and loves forced induction. But if you plan on just running to the mall then a supercharged rig will be just fine for you.

WJCO

Meme King

I love it when drunk people come on and post here. Have fun with your new project. You won't need our help, you've got all the answers.

6532eb4e00b37d929cf6dcca72c097d4.jpg

Top Bottom