ATX Slab install write-up

GCM 2

Thanks zinger! I'm hoping to not have to balance mine as well.

Mike are you sticking with your current Nittos? If so you probably won't have to balance unless they wore unevenly. I have been running mine since pre-JKX 2012 without any balancing, that's usually how Slabs and Nittos/Toyos work out.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Mike are you sticking with your current Nittos? If so you probably won't have to balance unless they wore unevenly. I have been running mine since pre-JKX 2012 without any balancing, that's usually how Slabs and Nittos/Toyos work out.

Yes sir. I love these tires. I know that to be the case with a lot of people running this combo, but I think many installed them new. So we shall see. :grouphug: (I looked for a finger's crossed emoticon, but settled on the rainbow group hug when I couldn't find one. ;))

Moochie

Yes sir. I love these tires. I know that to be the case with a lot of people running this combo, but I think many installed them new. So we shall see. :grouphug: (I looked for a finger's crossed emoticon, but settled on the rainbow group hug when I couldn't find one. ;))

Why not balance them when you have the chance? I also had new Toyo's on mine and a little weight was necessary.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Why not balance them when you have the chance? I also had new Toyo's on mine and a little weight was necessary.

Because I would rather have that money in my pocket. Or as I just found out...available to pay to the federal government. :doh:

Moochie

Because I would rather have that money in my pocket. Or as I just found out...available to pay to the federal government. :doh:

Lifetime balancing was included with my purchase. I just had them balanced again 2 weeks ago and they needed a tune up with 25,000 miles on them. Got rid of a little high speed vibration at 80 mph.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Lifetime balancing was included with my purchase. I just had them balanced again 2 weeks ago and they needed a tune up with 25,000 miles on them. Got rid of a little high speed vibration at 80 mph.

Where did you get your slabs locally that balance them for lifetime? I ended up going online for mine.

Prime8

FYI, it is Discount Tires corporate policy NOT to balance beadlocks. Found that out the hard way... :(

Prime8

Also, spyderlocks came with good directions for mounting. I might have them in digital format, let me look.

GCM 2

How can you tell that you didn't need to balance them?

Well, that is easy- You mount the tires on the rims, mount the rims on the jeep, drive the jeep, if the ride is smooth with no shimmys, shakes or wobbles at any speeds, there is no need to balance. it's that easy :thumb: Most of us that run Nittos find this to be the case

FYI, it is Discount Tires corporate policy NOT to balance beadlocks. Found that out the hard way... :(

I am not so sure, I have purchased almost all my tires at Discount Tire. I mounted three different Walker Evans wheel sets at home on two different jeeps and one F350 over the years, then always had Discount Tire do the balancing for me. Since I bought the tires from them with extended warranties, I would just pull my vehicles into any one of their stores and get a rotate and balance for free. Since I run Nittos now, there has been zero need to have them balanced.

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
Mike. I installed my slabs on 37 x 13.50 Toyos and overall it was pretty easy.

Here's what I used to mount the tires on the new wheels:

5 gallon bucket to support the wheel.

Lots of soapy water.

Anti seize to lightly coat the ring bolt threads.

Rubber mallet to seat the tire around the bead lock lip.

Cordless electric drill with 3/8 adapter and hex socket to run the bolts in.
Note: start the bolts by hand first. Use a low torque setting on the drill to prevent breaking a bolt.

3/8 drive torque wrench.

Valve stem tool.

Here's what I did.

Place the wheel on an old towel to protect from scratches.

Install valve stems. Double check to make sure the schrader valve is tight.

Coat the tires and wheel bead with liberal amounts of soapy water.

Place the tire on the wheel at a angle and push it down with your body weight so it slips over the bead lock lip.

Position the wheel and tire on top of the 5 gallon bucket (ring side up)and center the tire on the wheel.

Use the rubber mallet to force the lip of the tire over the bead lock lip. Use extra soapy water to ease the process.

Put a light coat of anti seize on the bolt threads.

Coat the ring with soapy water and place it over the rim and tire. Take care to align the bolt holes. Carefully thread one of the bolts into the rim and by hand or with hand tools. It will take a little work to get the ring to seat within the tire bead. Install additional bolts in a criss cross pattern slowly and carefully tightening them until the ring seats completely. Once you have all the bolts started you can use the cordless drill to run them in the rest if the way. Take your time and don't rush. The idea is to seat the ring as evenly as possible so you don't bind the ring in its groove.

Once you have all the bolts and ring seated, set your torque wrench to 20 ft lbs and in a circular pattern torque down the bolts. You will more than likely need to repeat this process 3/4 times to achieve proper torque.

Air up the tire to 28 psi. Be very careful and keep your hands away from the edges of the rim or tire bead. The tire will make a pop sound as it seats with the bead of the rim.

After about 3/4 hours you will be ready for several drinks.

Enjoy your new wheels.

Prime8

Somebody must have forgot to tell the 2 stores that have balanced mine.

That's fine. It's just an FYI. Just because stores break the corporate rules doesn't mean they aren't still the rules... The store by me wouldn't touch them when I got a flat. Had to mount myself and take to a local tire shop one at a time to have them balanced (when I had the GYs that needed significant balancing). The local shop would only balance if they were in a trailered vehicle or I brought them in off of the vehicle. It's because they aren't DOT certified. If you wreck due to a wheel related issue, discount tire could be held liable. That's why they aren't supposed to do it. Apparently your stores are nicer than mine!

Moochie

That's fine. It's just an FYI. Just because stores break the corporate rules doesn't mean they aren't still the rules... The store by me wouldn't touch them when I got a flat. Had to mount myself and take to a local tire shop one at a time to have them balanced (when I had the GYs that needed significant balancing). The local shop would only balance if they were in a trailered vehicle or I brought them in off of the vehicle. It's because they aren't DOT certified. If you wreck due to a wheel related issue, discount tire could be held liable. That's why they aren't supposed to do it. Apparently your stores are nicer than mine!

They won't touch the rings. They won't fix a flat with a bead lock. They will rotate and balance.

Prime8

They won't touch the rings. They won't fix a flat with a bead lock. They will rotate and balance.

Not in my store. I was there, trust me. All they would do was mount it, which on a Spyderlock, is the easiest part.

Prime8

Got ya, your store no - my store yes. It just depends on which store you go to. :)

And after all that, that's all I was getting at. Check your local store first. Just like checking your Jeep dealer about their mod/warranty policy before buying.

Top Bottom