ATX Slab vs. Hutchinson Rock Monsters - opinions?

Prime8

Yep. And I know many Jeepers hate mud, but for those of you that do hit the sticky stuff, mud can get packed in the spiderlocks which will also cause balance issues on the drive home (unless you clean them out before hitting the pavement).

You run into the same problem with slabs, I'd imagine. It's almost all mud out here, and inside the ring on the rim itself is where mud and water sit. It's the ring that retains the mess, not the star patterned portion, which is identical on slabs and spyderlocks.

Majik

Love those wheels. :beer:

Ditto (referring to the pics of the black Hutch's). If those are the black ones, as they appear in the pics (which are harder to find), those are the exact ones I was contemplating...

Such a tough decision!!! Grrr...

Thanks for all the input!!!

Majik

On a separate note, have any of you guys running the slabs had any clearance / rubbing issues with 37s (specifically the Toyo MTs 37x13.5) due to the less backspacing of the slabs? They've got a -38mm offset. So only approx 3.5" backspace.
I'm running PS steel fenders, all pinch seams already cut. Will be running an EVO coilover suspension, maybe 3.5-4" lift. (as low as will allow full artic without any driveline bind)

I know that the tie rod ends and such will be not be a clearance issue. Just wondering if anyone has run into problems with the rear portion of the fenders at full steering lock due to the reduced backspacing of the slabs?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You run into the same problem with slabs, I'd imagine. It's almost all mud out here, and inside the ring on the rim itself is where mud and water sit. It's the ring that retains the mess, not the star patterned portion, which is identical on slabs and spyderlocks.

Yes, but the star makes it that much more difficult to get the crap out.

Prime8

On a separate note, have any of you guys running the slabs had any clearance / rubbing issues with 37s (specifically the Toyo MTs 37x13.5) due to the less backspacing of the slabs? They've got a -38mm offset. So only approx 3.5" backspace.
I'm running PS steel fenders, all pinch seams already cut. Will be running an EVO coilover suspension, maybe 3.5-4" lift. (as low as will allow full artic without any driveline bind)

I know that the tie rod ends and such will be not be a clearance issue. Just wondering if anyone has run into problems with the rear portion of the fenders at full steering lock due to the reduced backspacing of the slabs?

3.75" back spacing sticks the tires out farther than the stock 6" back spacing. The less back spacing, the more clearance.

Prime8

Yes, but the star makes it that much more difficult to get the crap out.

The best way to get water out is with a sponge, and its pretty darn easy. Can't imagine it being any easier with slabs...

Edit:
And as for mud, the PowerPlant blows it out either way!

Last edited:

Prime8

Measured my spyder lock ring this evening, same thickness as Atx ring. Cannot seem to attach the photo from my phone though..

They aren't just similar wheels, they are quite literally the same exact wheel, made in the same exact foundry in china. The only difference is the webbing and the black rim paint job.

xflstl

They aren't just similar wheels, they are quite literally the same exact wheel, made in the same exact foundry in china. The only difference is the webbing and the black rim paint job.

Isn't there a rim width difference?

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The best way to get water out is with a sponge, and its pretty darn easy. Can't imagine it being any easier with slabs...

Edit:
And as for mud, the PowerPlant blows it out either way!

We will just have to agree to disagree. I've used wheels similar to the spyderlocks on race quads and found them a nightmare to deal with in the mud. Then again, my 250r didn't have a powerplant either.

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
Isn't there a rim width difference?

Doesn't make the wheels different in design. Most wheel manufacturers offer the same wheel model in multiple width options to fit different applications. ATX bought out Spyderlocks and later released the Slab.. Same wheel with a little bit of ATX's touch..

xflstl

Doesn't make the wheels different in design. Most wheel manufacturers offer the same wheel model in multiple width options to fit different applications. ATX bought out Spyderlocks and later released the Slab.. Same wheel with a little bit of ATX's touch..

I wasn't implying that it was a different design, only that in my limited net search's I have not seen a slab in a 9.5 width.

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
From what I learned, the wheels are identical aside from the ring design. Yeah, they are offered in different widths, but all in all they are the same wheel...

Last edited:

Majik

3.75" back spacing sticks the tires out farther than the stock 6" back spacing. The less back spacing, the more clearance.

I understand the backspacing. I was more referring to the larger arc the tire 'swings' with less backspace. Just wondering if the rims with significantly less backspace run into issues with smacking into the rear of the wheel well or the front edge of a rock rail at full lock. :idontknow:

RockyJk

I understand the backspacing. I was more referring to the larger arc the tire 'swings' with less backspace. Just wondering if the rims with significantly less backspace run into issues with smacking into the rear of the wheel well or the front edge of a rock rail at full lock. :idontknow:

My wheels have 3.5 backspacing and the only rub is my front fenders when my sway bar is disconnected they clear rear of wheel well and my rubi rails just fine :thumbup:

Majik

My wheels have 3.5 backspacing and the only rub is my front fenders when my sway bar is disconnected they clear rear of wheel well and my rubi rails just fine :thumbup:

Awesome!! Thanks!! Now if I could only just pull the trigger and decide!

Majik

On a separate note - anyone ever use hubcentric rings when switching from 5 on 5" bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5"? The spyntec hub conversion I'm installing has standard CJ-style diam ~108mm hub bores, as do the rims I'm looking at. So the front rims are a perfect, hubcentric bolt-on. However, the RCV 300M JK rear axles I am installing have the standard approx 72mm JK hub bore. Anyone run into this before? A 78mm to 108mm hubcentric ring is common. Just can't find a 72 to 108mm. I guess I could use a 72 to 78 inside a 78 to 108...

Or have them custom machined...

Hmm...

Has anyone even worried about this other than me? LOL...

Thoughts?

kleinrider

Yep. And I know many Jeepers hate mud, but for those of you that do hit the sticky stuff, mud can get packed in the spiderlocks which will also cause balance issues on the drive home (unless you clean them out before hitting the pavement).

And I'll add that cleaning them out is a pain!

Majik

Just curious, also... has anyone been able to verify a weight on the Slabs? I saw a couple sites showing a shipping weight of 34lbs per rim... vs 52+ lbs for the Hutchinsons...that's a huge difference...

But then a few of you noted 50+ lb weights for the Slabs. Just curious if anyone had verified info...

Top Bottom