Audio Additions - Second Thoughts -- Asking for Input

Hirschmann

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with the Alpine factory upgraded system. I think the system as a whole with the top is on is great. With the top off and below 30mph its still awesome. At speed its lacking one thing -- volume. I think the clarity is good and overall I'm happy with the system. I found a some jeep specific speaker kits for mounting 2 more speakers and a small sub under the passenger side front seat. I don't think these are incredible quality but appear easy to install and should boost overall volume and some extra bass for when the top is off. These would leave all the original system in tact. Some friends who are lets just say "doing well in life" are trying to tell me these parts are a complete waste and I should redo the entire system or I will only make things worse. They are suggesting $2-4K dollars worth of speakers, amps etc. I have the below parts bought, but not installed, before I install them this weekend I was hoping to get some advice.

Knowing that I have the '15 alpine factory system at 2 ohms. Do these products seem like something that will maintain current clarity but add additional volume and bass to the system? These both would tap the roll bar speakers after the factory amp and run into amps under the driver seat then out to the new speakers and sub. this should maintain head unit controls.

Extra 8 inch sub to run in addition to the factory sub: https://selectincrements.com/2019/05/neo-pods/
Additional Rear speakers to add overall volume when doors/top is down: https://selectincrements.com/2019/05/jku-pods/

Are these really complete garbage or are these a good cost effective way to get some extra volume and punch in my jeep?

My Jeep! (I have a winch on the way!)
Jeep_2020.jpg

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with the Alpine factory upgraded system. I think the system as a whole with the top is on is great. With the top off and below 30mph its still awesome. At speed its lacking one thing -- volume. I think the clarity is good and overall I'm happy with the system. I found a some jeep specific speaker kits for mounting 2 more speakers and a small sub under the passenger side front seat. I don't think these are incredible quality but appear easy to install and should boost overall volume and some extra bass for when the top is off. These would leave all the original system in tact. Some friends who are lets just say "doing well in life" are trying to tell me these parts are a complete waste and I should redo the entire system or I will only make things worse. They are suggesting $2-4K dollars worth of speakers, amps etc. I have the below parts bought, but not installed, before I install them this weekend I was hoping to get some advice.

Knowing that I have the '15 alpine factory system at 2 ohms. Do these products seem like something that will maintain current clarity but add additional volume and bass to the system? These both would tap the roll bar speakers after the factory amp and run into amps under the driver seat then out to the new speakers and sub. this should maintain head unit controls.

Extra 8 inch sub to run in addition to the factory sub: https://selectincrements.com/2019/05/neo-pods/
Additional Rear speakers to add overall volume when doors/top is down: https://selectincrements.com/2019/05/jku-pods/

Are these really complete garbage or are these a good cost effective way to get some extra volume and punch in my jeep?

My Jeep! (I have a winch on the way!)
View attachment 348607

I was considering upgrading/replacing the Alpine system. First to run my addons and second so that I could modify the stock jeep sound system. I've read that they really didn't do a good job equalizing the sound for the premium alpine system. Which I'd agree with, it's not well balanced.

I backed off the alpine purchase because I've heard it isn't great for controlling addons, still have to buy another unit and relay blocks was my understanding. I've also backed off the idea of improving the sound. I think I could build out a stereo that would sound better than the premium system. But at 60 mph doors and top off anything you put in there is going to sound pretty anemic. There's nothing for those sound waves to resonate against...

Just my 2 cents. As far as the speakers you chose? I really think the only way to improve the sound quality is a new head unit, better speakers all around, and definitely a new sub. The sub in the premium system is dirty...

Also, I decided the 3-4k I'd have to invest to make the system sound good would be better spent on a lift or axles...

Last edited:
I added a 10" sub to the rear section of my JKU. Installed it to hang on the tailgate. Also added a 900 watt amp and aftermarket head unit. replaced all other speakers.

System sounds great with top and doors on... turn up the music and drive down the road without hearing any of the creaks and other noises she makes... lol

Finally took the top off a month ago... bass went to pretty much zero. system still goes loud and clear but basically no bass. my box in the rear isn't that deep so that is probably my biggest issue.

I didn't want to lose a lot of rear cargo space. That is the reason for the smaller box. That is also why i dont have base with top off.

If i had to do it over, i would just upgrade the front and rollbar speakers. I'm mostly likely going to remove the rear sub to regain the cargo space.

Hirschmann

I added a 10" sub to the rear section of my JKU. Installed it to hang on the tailgate. Also added a 900 watt amp and aftermarket head unit. replaced all other speakers.

System sounds great with top and doors on... turn up the music and drive down the road without hearing any of the creaks and other noises she makes... lol

Finally took the top off a month ago... bass went to pretty much zero. system still goes loud and clear but basically no bass. my box in the rear isn't that deep so that is probably my biggest issue.

I didn't want to lose a lot of rear cargo space. That is the reason for the smaller box. That is also why i dont have base with top off.

If i had to do it over, i would just upgrade the front and rollbar speakers. I'm mostly likely going to remove the rear sub to regain the cargo space.

Thanks for the information guys. I have to agree the jeep factory upgraded system when the top and doors are on -- ROCKS. As a 27 year old listing to country/pop/hiphop I can really feel all types of music. It can almost get too loud. Overall really looking to improve my summer time top off preformance.
I am a bit worrisome about tapping speaker wires and mounting things to my rollbar/tub only to find out the parts are really bad. Leading me to want to undo the damage. I figure my bass wont ever be like it is with the top on without filling the whole trunk with downward facing subs. But the additional speakers being amped in theory should provide additional overall volume levels. The downward facing sub in addition to my factory sub should add some vibration and low frequencies under the front two seats. Im going to go for it and see how it turns out. Ill be sure to report back. Lets hope its a bit better and not awful lol

Primo82

Caught the Bug
However, he is a Raiders fan. Just throwing that out there.

Everyone makes questionable life choices occasionally. I'll give him a pass on being part of the raider nation. He seems to have good taste otherwise!

Top Bottom