Aussie locker in a D30

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm pretty sure Eddie told someone on a thread here, somewhere, he'd just throw a locker in the rear, rather than throw money in a 30. IDK, I haven't done it yet. I'm in the same boat, and am trying to decide what to do.

xflstl

Id like to disagree. I watched my dad break a a few d30 Ujoints and 2 R&Ps when locked on 35s. He drives very easy and will winch before forcing something but also wheels with people with much bigger rigs. Just takes the right bind on a rock for it to snap.

Well breaking u-joints will happen on any axle with ujoints... as far as 2 r&p that's not normal... I have had a good amount of tough trail time in with this setup, and have 2 friends with the same setup and no issue's. 2 ring & pinion either he wasn't driving so easy, or there was something else wrong.

xflstl

I had a rock set its self between the axle and the frame but since I couldn't unlock the front axle this is the damage I took...ended up having the take the carrier out just to get a chuck on the shaft out and replace both seals. Thankfully it didn't break the gears. I was running an Aussie with 35"s in a D30

View attachment 189080 View attachment 189081 View attachment 189082 View attachment 189083

Looking at the pictures I would have to say ouch!!!!! Not sure I would fault the locker, I might think the driver got in a pickle, and was likely doing something on the very edge of his setups capabilities. ...

Albo

Is your rear axle open, or limited slip?

Limited slip

Edit: I just looked at my build sheet and this is what is says:
DS8S Conventional Differential Rear Axle

I assume this is open?

Last edited:

xflstl

Limited slip

Edit: I just looked at my build sheet and this is what is says:
DS8S Conventional Differential Rear Axle

I assume this is open?

Sounds like it, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure if it's limited slip, it says exactly that. Limited slip differential.

Albo

What model jku do you have?

It's a 2012

Im doing some research and see where all JK's are equipped with "brake lock diffs" BLD. From what I understand, It's a part of the traction control system that "acts" like a LSD.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It's a 2012

Im doing some research and see where all JK's are equipped with "brake lock diffs" BLD. From what I understand, It's a part of the traction control system that "acts" like a LSD.

That's right it is a form of traction control system that uses the brakes to divert power to the wheel with the most traction. At low speeds it's effectively very similar to an LSD. A locker is going to give better traction but puts a lot of stress on the axle.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Then a front locker is your best bang for the buck... Front locked and rear limited slip can do alot...

I agree with this from my own experience. Limited slip rear and elocker on my D30 front. Lots of beatings on rocks, but with the elocker I can turn it off. Not a cheap option but I haven't bent anything or broken. I'm switching to a pr44 front but only because I'm going to 37s. Tired of high centering lol!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looking at the pictures I would have to say ouch!!!!! Not sure I would fault the locker, I might think the driver got in a pickle, and was likely doing something on the very edge of his setups capabilities. ...

It's clear you are convinced a front locker in a D30 is the best thing since sliced bread. We get it. You can stop telling us.

xflstl

It's clear you are convinced a front locker in a D30 is the best thing since sliced bread. We get it. You can stop telling us.

I protest, never did I remotely even compare it to sliced bread...

I don't think a front locker in a dana 30 is ideal, in fact if open/open I would certainly lock the rear 1st. However in an open/Lsd setup it's a great option for tight budgets.

Top Bottom