AutoLocker Help

no1important

hi my name is Connor and i have been addicted to jeep mods for about 2 years now

no but thinking about a spartan or ausie locker for the front and rear doesn't seem to hard to do and just probably would do it with the axles still on. just drain the fluid and get everything put. just wanted to know whats your experiance, i have a pretty tight budget but really want front and rear lockers i could care less about the clicking noise as long as that is a sign that it is working not that its broken but yeah any and all help

just give me a good recommendation for front a rear drop in autolockers

mtnbiker995

Powertrac or lockrite (I dunno if I spelled those right) are probably your cheapest bet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Atch

We just installed an Aussie in my front until I get a new front axle. No issues yet and you will need to pull the carrier out so you can replace the spiders with the locker.

no1important

the only reason i asked about not pulling the carrier is because i watched videos on the spartan locker and there are some videos where people have done it without pulling the carrier. will i need to re-shim the carrier because im not sure if i could do that.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
This is a good write-up and basically the same for the JK
http://4x4xplor.com/aussielocker.html

Cheap way to lock the front and you'll be amazed off-road at how much better it is. It'll give you time to decide if you really need to lock the rear for your wheeling.
I would recommend if you do any type of auto locker in the rear you go with Detriot. An lunchbox locker is very cantakerous in the rear for a DD that is under load all the time and not nearly as strong as a Detroit. But then again for a little more $$ you could get an airlocker instead of a detroit.
I run a lockright in the front and a Detroit in the rear.

Atch

the only reason i asked about not pulling the carrier is because i watched videos on the spartan locker and there are some videos where people have done it without pulling the carrier. will i need to re-shim the carrier because im not sure if i could do that.

We did not need to shim mine

dahoover5866

I have a spartan rear had to get a carrier with different deck height and machine the holes to fit my superior gears, honestly I'm going to get rid o them because u can hear them locking and unlocking however they do work really well off road I want a 35 spline arb air locker. Is urs a daily driver or no, because to me that makes all the difference if it is save a bit and get a selectable, if not get the auto.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Personally, I would not run an auto locker in the front. It can create some issues with steering the vehicle. You would be much better of running an auto locker in the rear and a selectable front. Auto lockers are going to make a ratcheting noise, its something you will get used to. Some auto lockers are quieter than others as well.
Google: Auto Locker Shoot Out, select the first search result by JPmagazine. There is some really good information in that article. If you cant find it let me know, I will hop on my computer real quick and send a link. (Im on my iPhone now and it makes it difficult.)
MK, whats your take on the auto locker in the front? Do you have any difference in steering or handeling?
+1 for the Detroit over other auto lockers!

Lock Down or Get Locked Up

Last edited:

no1important

Hey guys its shouldn't cause any issues in steering unless in 4wd and then all it will do is give you the same restriction as normal 4wd with just a ratcheting noise on top of it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom