Axle Swap on EVO DTD JKU

as far as i know Holy Jim area is closed for at least another year.

Also the gate at the end of Maple Springs road has been locked since turkey day.

i live in RSM and ride through the canyon a lot. always hoping the areas get opened again!!

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
as far as i know Holy Jim area is closed for at least another year.

Also the gate at the end of Maple Springs road has been locked since turkey day.

i live in RSM and ride through the canyon a lot. always hoping the areas get opened again!!

I know a cool spot in that area. Kinda off the beaten path. Let’s grab coffee one of these days. I’ll show you

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Yeah those pics are at Holy Jim. It’s officially closed but there’s a small section that’s not private property that is very challenging. Great place to test out the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Pics of what you had to do in order to get the XD60's installed would be cool to see.

I've been meaning to take a bunch of pics to show all the "things" I had to do to make it work and honestly other than making sure you order the right brackets, it was pretty much bolt on. Dynatrac spent some time with my rig measuring things up in order to get things dialed in and they nailed it.

The one thing I had to do is research the correct brackets to use because I had the DTD kit installed on a stock axle, I needed to find out what brackets to use.
Below are the parts needed to do an axle swap on a DTD kit:

4ea. EVO-10053-1
2ea. EVO-10053-2
4ea. EVO-10046-3
1ea. EVO-1088
1ea. EVO-910

One modification I had them make is on the rear lower control arm mounts. I had them cut them down as I didn't need any of the lower braket material. This gave me a ton of clearance on the rear axle as you can see from the pic:

IMG_4112.jpg

The front was dialed in out of the gate and didn't give me much trouble. The rear was a challenge only because the King Bump Stops made it difficult to remove/install the rear track bar as I wanted to center the axle while I was at it. Honestly, it was a much easier process than I expected.

It performs better than I expected, especially with getting the shocks tuned with King afterwards. I'm able to do 60mph in moderate whoops before I get scared and pull back. I don't think these Jeeps were ever meant to go that fast in that terrain loaded with a ton of camping gear although that's probably more of a driver skill issue than anything else.

I've got a ton of pics posted on my IG account if you want to see them but as much as I'd like to say it was an eventful install it wasn't.

jdofmemi

I've been meaning to take a bunch of pics to show all the "things" I had to do to make it work and honestly other than making sure you order the right brackets, it was pretty much bolt on. Dynatrac spent some time with my rig measuring things up in order to get things dialed in and they nailed it.

The one thing I had to do is research the correct brackets to use because I had the DTD kit installed on a stock axle, I needed to find out what brackets to use.
Below are the parts needed to do an axle swap on a DTD kit:

4ea. EVO-10053-1
2ea. EVO-10053-2
4ea. EVO-10046-3
1ea. EVO-1088
1ea. EVO-910

One modification I had them make is on the rear lower control arm mounts. I had them cut them down as I didn't need any of the lower braket material. This gave me a ton of clearance on the rear axle as you can see from the pic:

View attachment 345951

The front was dialed in out of the gate and didn't give me much trouble. The rear was a challenge only because the King Bump Stops made it difficult to remove/install the rear track bar as I wanted to center the axle while I was at it. Honestly, it was a much easier process than I expected.

It performs better than I expected, especially with getting the shocks tuned with King afterwards. I'm able to do 60mph in moderate whoops before I get scared and pull back. I don't think these Jeeps were ever meant to go that fast in that terrain loaded with a ton of camping gear although that's probably more of a driver skill issue than anything else.

I've got a ton of pics posted on my IG account if you want to see them but as much as I'd like to say it was an eventful install it wasn't.

Looks great Sam!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Curious why you had to do to get custom work to get the XD60 installed? My ‘15 JKU had the Evo DTD suspension and an XD60 front and PR80 rear. The XD60 was the standard 68.5” axle with the PR60 extreme duty wheel ends, big brake kit, and Dynalock stub hubs. I used the high steer kit Evo put on many of their builds (they did the build on my Jeep in shop). Is the newer XD60 axle different than what I had?

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bierpower

Hooked
Curious why you had to do to get custom work to get the XD60 installed? My ‘15 JKU had the Evo DTD suspension and an XD60 front and PR80 rear. The XD60 was the standard 68.5” axle with the PR60 extreme duty wheel ends, big brake kit, and Dynalock stub hubs. I used the high steer kit Evo put on many of their builds (they did the build on my Jeep in shop). Is the newer XD60 axle different than what I had?

View attachment 345961

View attachment 345962

I don't think it was custom work. He went from a 44 to a 60 so all of the axle mounts for the DTD had to be replaced because the tubes are a different size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I don't think it was custom work. He went from a 44 to a 60 so all of the axle mounts for the DTD had to be replaced because the tubes are a different size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s correct. The actual XD60 was essentially a bolt on kit one the brackets were welded on in the correct place.

The main difference with mine vs yours is the knuckles. The new Prorock XD 60 has custom dynatrac knuckles with an optimal scrub radius. It’s why I can easily run 40s and rockcrawl without a ram assist. Although a ram assist would obviously make it easier, these knuckles feel like I’m wheeling on 35s as far as how easy they are to turn.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
That’s correct. The actual XD60 was essentially a bolt on kit one the brackets were welded on in the correct place.

The main difference with mine vs yours is the knuckles. The new Prorock XD 60 has custom dynatrac knuckles with an optimal scrub radius. It’s why I can easily run 40s and rockcrawl without a ram assist. Although a ram assist would obviously make it easier, these knuckles feel like I’m wheeling on 35s as far as how easy they are to turn.

Ah ok. That makes sense. I had totally forgotten about the newer aluminum knuckles they offer.

Top Bottom