Back in a Jeep - new Gladiator Rubicon owner

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Day 1 observations:

- it still overflows fuel when filling up the tank, just like both my JKs did.

- the adaptive cruise doesn’t work like I thought it did in traffic. If you stop for more than 2-3 seconds, it disengages. I could care less, just an observation.

- it’s still a Jeep, prime to cracked windshields. I cracked mine at 81 miles when a rouge rock was kicked up by an oversized load truck/trailer with no mudflaps, on a trailer with about 10 axles on it. Lucky me. [emoji38]

- the hardtop and freedom panels are much improved over my ‘15 JKU. No more knobs to thread in and out. The designs on the inside are nice. The sound proofing and trim panels are a nice touch.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thing! The seats, the 8.4” uconnect, the Alpine sound system. It’s excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I can’t believe you cracked the windshield 81 miles in, crazy!

I agree, all the interior comforts far surpass the JKs.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Was crawling around under the Gladiator for the first time tonight, to see what might need protected with a skid plate, and just what’s different from a Wrangler. Granted I’ve never owned or looked under a JL, my last two Jeeps were JKs.

Observations:
The steering is beefy and massive. It dwarfs JK steering components. I’m talking drag link, track bar, tie rod, pitman arm/steering box, and front axle C’s. I’m hoping it’s not cheap steel, and is as beefy as it all looks. Again not sure if the JL has this stuff, or if it’s upgraded because it’s a truck.

The rear hitch receiver is way beefier than a Wrangler hitch. This is great for the 7k lb tow rating, but it’s part of what kills the departure angle on these trucks. A bumper with an integrated receiver similar to what LoD does would be nice to increase the departure angle.

The spare is a steel wheel. Won’t be doing any 5 tire rotations.

The front bumper air dam is actually a steel skid plate. I honestly thought it was plastic. That’s a nice change from the JK.

The axle bracketed is much improved over JK stuff. All the brackets appear to be 3/16” or 1/4” steel, not the flimsy stamped steel crap.

As far as skid plates. I ordered the Evo Mfg oil pan and auto trans skids, and the FAD skid. Tonight I noticed the FAD has a skid on it, so I’ll have to see if the Evo Mfg one is an improvement over the oem one. The front lower axle side control arm brackets, and rear lower shock mounts could use a skid too, maybe even the exhaust loop, but I’ll likely leave it alone for now. The steering stabilizer looks prone to being bashed as well.

Overall I’m very impressed with the JT. I just turned over 600 miles and plan to hit the trails for the first time next weekend, after I get the Evo Mfg skid plates installed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
Good choice with the skids. It's a learning curve to get over ghe fact that your not driving a Wrangler anymore. At least it was for me. The first time I took mine out stock I was getting hung up on obstacles that I wouldn't even think about in my JK. I'm with you though I'm still happy and use the bed daily.

Top Bottom