Backspacing and steerability

jeeeep

Hooked
This is exactly why I like this forum! You guys all chime in with honest, relevant experiences with the exact setup I’m asking about.

About how many miles did you get on the Prosteer ball joints?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I'd estimate about 30k miles but I'm pretty sure the 13.5x37 on 3.5" bs beadlocks doesn't help lol

even if they lasted longer, I think it's much easier to replace the joint and get going then do all the work to rebuild then have to wait for the glue to set.

IMO for trail or parking lot repair rebuilding is not realistic. It's a lot faster to remove and replace and pretty easy to find a replacement ball joint at any auto part store.

The only thing I can think of is eventually the bore may require the use of knurled joints but not something I wouldn't use until necessary.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Just to throw in another experience and opinion, I ran the AEV Borah, AEV front bumper and 37x12.50R17 Toyo together with no rubbing. IIRC, the Borah has a about 4.5 backspacing. I went to coilovers shortly after and switched to a 3.5 backspace which rubbed the bumper bad when the tire got up and turned. Ended up with an ARB stubby for a while because it looked similar to the AEV bumper, and since I am an idiot and buy stuff multiple times, I eventually got a quarter pounder and 37x13.50.....
....and then to offer an opinion about the no hydro and 3.5 backspacing, it "worked" but it wasn't ideal. Aired down on the rocks steering was not impossible, but I was feeling like I would snap a sector shaft at any moment. Post #98 has a pic of the AEV wheels, bumper and 37s.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...s-but-questions-about-what-else-I-need/page10

4.5 was fine for me with 35s but when I moved to 37x12.5 I rubbed aftermarket inner fender liners at full flex. I had to run more bump stop until I changed to 3.5 backspacing. Only really notice the difference when in the rocks but it hasn’t been holding me back.

bmkrinne

4.5 was fine for me with 35s but when I moved to 37x12.5 I rubbed aftermarket inner fender liners at full flex. I had to run more bump stop until I changed to 3.5 backspacing. Only really notice the difference when in the rocks but it hasn’t been holding me back.

Which brand of fender liner? I’ve got stock and May cut the fenders and modify the OEM liners. Perhaps aftermarket liner though.

bmkrinne

Just to throw in another experience and opinion, I ran the AEV Borah, AEV front bumper and 37x12.50R17 Toyo together with no rubbing. IIRC, the Borah has a about 4.5 backspacing. I went to coilovers shortly after and switched to a 3.5 backspace which rubbed the bumper bad when the tire got up and turned. Ended up with an ARB stubby for a while because it looked similar to the AEV bumper, and since I am an idiot and buy stuff multiple times, I eventually got a quarter pounder and 37x13.50.....
....and then to offer an opinion about the no hydro and 3.5 backspacing, it "worked" but it wasn't ideal. Aired down on the rocks steering was not impossible, but I was feeling like I would snap a sector shaft at any moment. Post #98 has a pic of the AEV wheels, bumper and 37s.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...s-but-questions-about-what-else-I-need/page10

I enjoyed looking through your build thread. Jeep looks awesome on the 1 tons and 40’s. I appreciate the input on the AEV wheels and AEV bumper!

bmkrinne

I'm running 315/70r17 on AEV Savegre wheels and using 1.25 spacers. This is essentially a 4 inch backspace combo and have absolutely no rubbing. Looks like plenty of room to go to 37s in the future. I've got about 10k miles on it, wheel moderately hard and no unit bearing issues yet. Steering is only an issue when bound up with lockers on.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I ran 315/70r17 BFG’s on the AEV Savagre wheels previously and didn’t have any rubbing either with no spacers, but I really think without spacers, 35’s are about as big as you can go without major rubbing up front.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I enjoyed looking through your build thread. Jeep looks awesome on the 1 tons and 40’s. I appreciate the input on the AEV wheels and AEV bumper!

Thanks! If I hadn’t gone to coilovers I think I would still be on those wheels. Hope you get the right choice the first time!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

14ACES

How's that bad boy handle in the rocks? You get bound up at all?

Not at all. Was just out at Sand Hollow and I was impressed at how well the set up worked. I have a hydraulic ram assist set up from PSC.

Top Bottom