Bad rattle

Dorgie

My gf's jk has been making a weird rattling noise I thought it was the rear heat shield on the muffler however that's not the case, figured maybe one close to the cats can't find anything loose, the rattle only happens under load and from 1000-1300 rpm, won't do it in neutral at all

In the vid I have my left foot on the break while feathering the gas

Please view http://youtu.be/JjPRUZQyAcg

Sorry about the angle but this is the noise

bholder817

I had a similar sound same type of thing. Found that my muffler was coming into contact with the cross bar that goes across the transmission area. I can take a pic if you need me to. I had bent it up from a few off-roading adventures.

Dorgie

Thanks! I'll take a crawl underneath again tonight check the crossmember and it's an 09, hope cats are covered buy aftermarket warranty or I'll be finding a way to gut them, it's weird that it only does it under load in drive and reverse not in N at all

stangbuster

If you wheel the jeep and have a stock crossmember it could be bent and the skid plate might be making contact with the exhaust crossover. I have seen this in the past.

JAGS

Hooked
My vote (like others noted) is somewhere along your exhaust is making contact with metal. Get under the jeep and have someone else rev it so you can pinpoint where.

bnatt78

I have the same thing on my 2011 and it is the exhaust is touching one of the cross members or skid plates.

Jeepers46

I had a very similar noise that would happen around 1800rpm and only under load. Turns out the welds were broken on the heat shield that is on the exhaust running from the passenger side over the the drivers side (along the transmission pan). I found it when I was changing the fluid. Put a C clamp around it and ita been quite ever since.

tdougherty81

I had a very similar noise that would happen around 1800rpm and only under load. Turns out the welds were broken on the heat shield that is on the exhaust running from the passenger side over the the drivers side (along the transmission pan). I found it when I was changing the fluid. Put a C clamp around it and ita been quite ever since.

Same thing with my rattle. Heat shield weld, bent up and it is gone.

JakeJK

I have an awful rattling sound coming from the engine compartment but I can't figure it out to save my life. It's only under load while in drive or reverse as well, any suggestions I changed my oil to 5w30 in hopes it would help but the sound has yet to subside. Thanks for any suggestions

Top Bottom