Ball Joint Replacement... How Hard is it?

Skywalker

Moog makes okay stuff, but it's not any better than the stock IMO. Many will suggest Synergy or Alloy, but in my experience they will not last very long either. (I've seen both go bad several times with around 30k miles.) If you buy them twice you are approaching the cost of the Dynatracs that will last forever.

Sorry, I know you said these were out of your price range, but if you plan to keep the axle you have I would put the good stuff in.

I hope the Synergy Joints last! I just replaced mine a few months ago and It did solve my death wobble issues. I bought a ball joint/U joint kit with all the adapters for JKU as well as Synergy ball joints for about $300 on Amazon. I have never installed ball joints and it took me about 3 hours, Start to finish. I definitely wouldn't attempt it without a ball-joint press/kit.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just get ball joints that have a lifetime warranty if you can't afford the dynatracs. If you plan on replacing them yourself from now on, the only thing you'll be out of is some time and labor. And really...how often are you really gonna have to replace them? I'm not even sure it's worth buying a ball joint press...$300+ is a lot of money to spend in a tool you hopefully won't use very much especially if you don't do a lot of wrenching and it's a one job tool (not a socket set or wrench set), for a little over $300 you could pay a shop to replace them. Just my opinion.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Just get ball joints that have a lifetime warranty if you can't afford the dynatracs. If you plan on replacing them yourself from now on, the only thing you'll be out of is some time and labor. And really...how often are you really gonna have to replace them? I'm not even sure it's worth buying a ball joint press...$300+ is a lot of money to spend in a tool you hopefully won't use very much especially if you don't do a lot of wrenching and it's a one job tool (not a socket set or wrench set), for a little over $300 you could pay a shop to replace them. Just my opinion.

The lifetime ball joints you buy from most auto parts stores wont be warrantied for life, hope that's not your thought. Also, you can get the ball joint press like the one I bought for $120 bucks off rock auto. It is the exact Lisle one most auto parts stores sell. You can also use it for U-Joints.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I wouldn't buy. Ball joint press. Just rent one from an auto parts store and return it. It's free, just put down a deposit.

Or buy harbor freight for $60.

I wouldn't buy. Ball joint press. Just rent one from an auto parts store and return it. It's free, just put down a deposit.

Or buy harbor freight for $60.

I agree with you... I did end up buying one along with all the adapters but I live pretty rural and driving into town is a PITA. If I had a place to rent or borrow one from that didn't involve and hour of driving to get, I would.

bdubnit

I've never done ball joints before and I just tackled it about a month ago. Once you get one side taken apart and truly see how it comes apart, the other side will go a lot quicker. I replaced mine with synergy ball joints at 35k miles. The only snag I ran into was I snapped one of the 3 hub bolts that was seized up and that took up some time trying to get it the rest of the way out. Go slow and use a lot of anti seize.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
The lifetime ball joints you buy from most auto parts stores wont be warrantied for life, hope that's not your thought. Also, you can get the ball joint press like the one I bought for $120 bucks off rock auto. It is the exact Lisle one most auto parts stores sell. You can also use it for U-Joints.

In a way this is correct...Moog ball joints, Napa Precision ball joints all have a LIMITED Lifetime warranty. Meaning the parts are warrantied as long as there are no signs of incorrect installation, abuse, or modification. Keep your receipts and a good parts store will honor the warranty as long as everything is legit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441372777.680352.jpg ...this is a picture of the power steering pump pulley off my buddies Grand Am that he drives back and forth to work, the plastic pulley we put on two years ago came apart on his way to work. Our local Napa told him to find as many pieces as he could and they warrantied it with his receipt for the steel one also in the picture.

As far as the ball joint press goes...I wouldn't even waste $120 on one when you can put a deposit on one at a parts store and return it for a refund of your deposit. IMO, it's a waste of money for a tool that will rarely get used except for replacing your ball joints every few years.

bdubnit

Also, advanced auto had the best kit that you could rent for free. They told me I could rent it for up to 45 days also

Pixel

Also, advanced auto had the best kit that you could rent for free. They told me I could rent it for up to 45 days also

I personally just rented one last night with all the adapters from Advance Auto Parts. You need to ask them for the large ball joint press kit with the truck/4x4 adapters and you will be set. The standard kit doesn't have all the sizes you will need. It was $125 deposit refunded upon return so completely worth it. One thing worth mentioning about these kits though. The jackscrew for the larger kit is pretty long and depending on the adapters you have it may hit the upper fender liner when you are doing this making it a little more difficult (not impossible)

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I agree with you... I did end up buying one along with all the adapters but I live pretty rural and driving into town is a PITA. If I had a place to rent or borrow one from that didn't involve and hour of driving to get, I would.

I bought mine when I worked at the stealership. Glad I did and because I also live in a rural area, I'm glad I still have it.

I just mentioned it in case anybody was interested in buying it.

Top Bottom