BANDIT - 2023 Jeep JT Gladiator Rubicon

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that escalated quickly! Looks great. Those wheels look good. Dang it…..now you have me thinking about going 4.5” instead of 3.5” 🤣
Not gonna lie, if EVO made a 3.5" kit, we would have gone with it. Being that they only offer 2.5" and 4.5", we decided that taller would be better than lower and I'm glad we did :cool:
Damn, looks awesome, I’ve been debating going up to 4.5 springs if I stick with a standard shock/coil setup. Looks great.
So, I should note that this 4.5" lift actually yielded about 6.5" of total lift or at least, in the front. The rear is still taller too but closer to 4.5". This is done to help 'level' the truck and I have to say, I wasn't aware of this at first. In fact, it was quite the surprise and only learned about it after talking to EVO and then ordered up a set of 2.5" coils. Apparently, that would set the front up 4.5" and put the rear at 2.5". However, now I'm starting to really like the stance and will most likely keep it the way it is.

That said and as far as JL coils go, I don't think they treat their coils the same way and if you decide to go with EVO, I would reach out to them to confirm before pulling the trigger.
Awesomeness!!! Those wheels are badass for sure.
Thank you. I really like the wheels too :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn you man 🤣
:ROFLMAO: You know you're gonna do it too (y)
wow, I thought 4.5" lift would be too much but it's not, that looks good.... too good, ughhh.
JT is a work truck, JT is a work truck, JT is a work truck ummmmmmm.... I am a peace....
Yeah, keep telling yourself 😁
That looks great. And with the grill and wheels, the black color contrast on white really pops.
Thanks! I wasn't sure about the black grill when we got this Gladiator but now, with the top and wheels, I really really like it :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things I do need to point out to anyone wanting to run this EVO 4.5" lift or any lift that provides as much lift and or droop and with 37's:

1. You WILL need to install longer brake lines in the rear. The fronts will be okay so long as you keep them disconnected to the lower control arms but in the rears will be too short. The rear speed sensors lines will just be long enough.

2. Because I have seen a 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler (Nitto stated diameter 36.77") get mounted as a spare under a Gladiator, I had assumed that a Nitto Trail Grappler (Nitto stated diameter 36.85") in the same size would as well. This is NOT the case or at least, if you have a tow package with factory hitch. In the end, you'll only have about 36-1/4" to work with between the hitch receiver and the rear track bar.

20240426163624-98f55249.jpg
20240426163623-bcbc30d4.jpg

Fortunately or unfortunately, a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler measures about 36-1/2" from crown to crown and that's just a bit too big in diameter to fit.
20240426163622-57595189.jpg

Even after dropping the PSI to about 15, I still ended up with about 36-3/8" and while I could force it to fit, that would be a bad idea.
20240426163621-353f2c76.jpg
20240426163626-5adb7444.jpg
20240426163621-52736179.jpg

So, my options are:

1. Run a smaller 35" spare tire until one of my 37's wears down enough to replace it.
2. Remove the hitch receiver (something I really don't want to do).
3. Install a new rear bumper with hitch receiver and that allows for more room.

And, as of now, I think we'll be going with option #1

benatc1

Hooked
Not gonna lie, if EVO made a 3.5" kit, we would have gone with it. Being that they only offer 2.5" and 4.5", we decided that taller would be better than lower and I'm glad we did :cool:

So, I should note that this 4.5" lift actually yielded about 6.5" of total lift or at least, in the front. The rear is still taller too but closer to 4.5". This is done to help 'level' the truck and I have to say, I wasn't aware of this at first. In fact, it was quite the surprise and only learned about it after talking to EVO and then ordered up a set of 2.5" coils. Apparently, that would set the front up 4.5" and put the rear at 2.5". However, now I'm starting to really like the stance and will most likely keep it the way it is.

That said and as far as JL coils go, I don't think they treat their coils the same way and if you decide to go with EVO, I would reach out to them to confirm before pulling the trigger.

That’s good info, if I go that route i definitely will. I recall that issue when I tires 2.5 springs on the Mojave with stock shocks, I got 4.5 inches of lift, my steering was all messed up and riding in a weird part of the shock. My 3.5 JL seems to have a little rake still, but I’ll confirm before doing anything

benatc1

Hooked
There are a couple of things I do need to point out to anyone wanting to run this EVO 4.5" lift or any lift that provides as much lift and or droop and with 37's:

1. You WILL need to install longer brake lines in the rear. The fronts will be okay so long as you keep them disconnected to the lower control arms but in the rears will be too short. The rear speed sensors lines will just be long enough.

2. Because I have seen a 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler (Nitto stated diameter 36.77") get mounted as a spare under a Gladiator, I had assumed that a Nitto Trail Grappler (Nitto stated diameter 36.85") in the same size would as well. This is NOT the case or at least, if you have a tow package with factory hitch. In the end, you'll only have about 36-1/4" to work with between the hitch receiver and the rear track bar.

Fortunately or unfortunately, a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler measures about 36-1/2" from crown to crown and that's just a bit too big in diameter to fit.

Even after dropping the PSI to about 15, I still ended up with about 36-3/8" and while I could force it to fit, that would be a bad idea.

So, my options are:

1. Run a smaller 35" spare tire until one of my 37's wears down enough to replace it.

I was able to get a 37 ridge grappler aired also it all the way down in there, but with a stock track bar, it was close so I’m assuming a bit bigger tire and thicker track bar are keeping it from happening. I’d say try a 37 ridge grappler so at least your the same size but doubt you have one just laying around lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, there are rear track bars with a chicane bend in the middle to clearance a spare tire.
Yeah, I know that Clayton and Synergy make one but I just got this new EVO HD one and was hoping to test it out. Also, while a bend in the bar will get it to work, I typically prefer straight rear track bars whenever possible. From personal experience, ones with bends in them tend to BEND when wheeling hard.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s good info, if I go that route i definitely will. I recall that issue when I tires 2.5 springs on the Mojave with stock shocks, I got 4.5 inches of lift, my steering was all messed up and riding in a weird part of the shock. My 3.5 JL seems to have a little rake still, but I’ll confirm before doing anything
If there is an upside, it's that you can clear much bigger tires with the smaller lift kit. Or at least, if that's what someone is wanting.
I was able to get a 37 ridge grappler aired also it all the way down in there, but with a stock track bar, it was close so I’m assuming a bit bigger tire and thicker track bar are keeping it from happening. I’d say try a 37 ridge grappler so at least your the same size but doubt you have one just laying around lol
Yeah, a 37" Ridge Grappler spare would probably make the most sense but holy hell, have you priced out tires lately? Even a 35" is about $400 a piece now o_O

benatc1

Hooked
If there is an upside, it's that you can clear much bigger tires with the smaller lift kit. Or at least, if that's what someone is wanting.

Yeah, a 37" Ridge Grappler spare would probably make the most sense but holy hell, have you priced out tires lately? Even a 35" is about $400 a piece now o_O
Yea nothing is cheap, and no not since I bought 38s, which I’m still trying to recover lol.. but yea not worth spending to find it won’t work lol.

Dale72

Hooked

So, my options are:

This is good to know. Mine doesn't have the hitch receiver, but it's supposed to. So that won't be a problem for a 37 spare underneath

Top Bottom