BDS Suspension

ozzie

You can't beat the velvety smooth ride of the plush ride coils for a daily driver. That's what I got and love them.

Olram30 after looking at Rancho shocks and EVO Enforcer and tires it fits well into my budget. This is awesome thanks

bkac

Caught the Bug
Olram30 after looking at Rancho shocks and EVO Enforcer and tires it fits well into my budget. This is awesome thanks

Your absolutely going to love it, if you can swing the drag link flip kit it's well worth the extra money.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeep

I've had the Rancho 9000's on another truck and were very happy with them and their adjustability.... And their price isn't bad (especially when they are running their buy 3 get 1 free promos)

twoxstreem

I had an original GEN 1 4.5 inch BDS lift in my 12 JKU. It was a pretty basic "old school" lift with straight fixed arms poly ends etc. It came on my jeep new and was OK. I decided I didn't want squeaky polly bushings up front so I updated it to the GEN 2 BDS control arms.

I would not recommend the GEN 1 BDS lifts vs other off the self kits, however, Gen 2 is a different story.

The GEN 1 front control arms were strong well built but fixed in length (longer than stock). The did the job and lasted well for 20,000 Miles on my JKU.

The BDS Gen 2 adjustable upper and lower control arms have been in the front for about 10,000 miles and these arms are seriously built, designed and are monsters. road manners and road noise have been reduced with these arms.

About the Gen 2 control arms from BDS website:

"OEM quality vulcanized Cleavite rubber bushings for improved longevity and reduced noise. The new arms come preinstalled with rubber bushings and larger 1-3/4" diameter .250 wall formed control arms."

http://bds-suspension.com/product-display?sr=124333

Their newest arms are seriously stout with BDS Gen 2 massive forged flex ends (johnny joint) good geometry and are offset for fully steering. After driving them I found the combo of OEM style rubber bushings ends and forged flex ends on both upper and lower control arms gave it a more forgiving feel on the road and good flex off.

MY BDS kit provides a combo raised trackbar mount and drop pitman. I know many EVO lovers are against this set up but the track bar and drag link are parallel and I have no bump steer. Granted I haven't driven a JK with the EVO drag link flip but I would like to one day after reading about the hype.

I also have AEV geo correction brackets which bring the front LCA back to parallel and have improved the ride tremendously.

Recently I installed EVO 4inch plush rides which have provided a moderate/improved ride over the original BDS supplied coils. The price for these coils are definitely right. The tech person from EVO I spoke to with sold me on them as "they have never received a complaint about the ride" which I cant say they were wrong because I am certainly complaining.

In the spring I plan on changing over to evo spec 2.5 king resi. adj. shocks. At $1800 for 4 it's not easy dropping that coin on standard resi. shocks but in the pursuit of the best ride w/o going coil over these have my attention.

OVER ALL - the BDS GEN 2 control arms are probably the heaviest well crafted arms I have seen on a off the shelf kit. I would not expect them to fail, ever. The ends are rebuild able. The zerks are located well and easy to reach. I recall each arm was probably about 20-25 LBS.

The full BDS 4.5 lift priced out with full adj control arms, track bars, fox shocks, brake lines etc is about $2800 retail.

MY current LIFT:

Front:
- 4" EVO Plush Rides
- BDS GEN 2 adj UCA and LCA
- BDS drop pitman and raised trackbar mount
- AEV geometry correction brackets
- JKS adjust track bar
- BDS spec Fox 2.0 shocks
- JKS quick disconnects (absolutely silent operation)
- Currie stainless lines
- Woodies front drive shaft (I recommend on all 4" + lifts)
- Northridge grade 8 hardware kit

Rear
-4" EVO Plush Rides
- Gen 1 BDS LCA fixed polly
- Gen 2 BDS UCA adj. polly
- JKS track bar
- BDS Track bar bracket (Axle)
- BDS spec FOX 2.0
- Rock Krawler Rear Coil Spring Correction Wedges
- Currie Coil Spring retainer clips
- Currie Stainless lines

I have put a tremendous amount of research in to each upgrade and even though this is now kind a frank'n lift it rides great and handles great both on and off road.

Pics of the new BDS arms installed. Since this photos I have moved the UCA to the middle mounting position on the AEV brackets and adjusted the pinion angle to 0 degrees (90 degrees from the ground) while also centering the axle under the coils.

IMG_3480.jpg IMG_3484.jpg

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Why do you have drop brackets and adjustable control arms?

A drop pitman arm adds leverage to the sector shaft and will lead to a break.

Last edited:

twoxstreem

Thinking the same thing on adj upper and lower front arms and bracket. Wouldn't the bracket be useless??

-Nicco

Correct but the bracket accomplishes a few things:

1- If you have fixed length short control arms the brackets help get the pinion angles back in to check as well as align the axle (front to back) without having to get adjustable arms or use cam bolts. Since I have adjustable UCA and LCA, I adjusted the LCA with the brackets to center the axle and then adjusted the UCA to move the pinion angle to 0 degrees. I have tested a few pinion/caster angles and 0 degree pinion angle seems to works best for my set up with no drive line vibration from the woods drive shaft.

2- The 2nd benefit (and more important in my set up) is that it lowers the rear mounting location for the LCA. Since the LCA is now closer to parallel (to the ground) with the bracket the LCA has a more fluid range of motion during travel. Basically hitting bumps become less jarring as the force of impact is projected up into the coil vs. back into the frame when the LCA is at a steeper angle.

3- Supposedly they also help reduce brake dive. I never experienced break dive prior to installing the brackets but when I hall on the brakes its feels like the rear might be more planted than before... not really sure on this as its not a huge difference or a big concern of mine.

The draw back is that the bracket hangs lower to the ground and can be damaged by rocks. If this happens I'll replace it with one of the more heavily constructed one piece options which have come out since I purchased AEV brackets

It is similar to the way a long arm kit would lower the angle of the LCA for better articulation and ride. Its not a substitution for long arms but more of an inexpensive solution until I get long arms.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I know many EVO lovers are against this set up

that's funny. also drop brackets don't offer "better articulation", it's probably the bracket bending and flexing.

twoxstreem

Why do you have drop brackets and adjustable control arms?

A drop pitman arm adds leverage to the sector shaft and will lead to a break.

Correct it can cause steering box failure. I inquired with BDS about the measurement of the drop arm they supply and I from what I recall their pitman arm is a 2" drop from stock. Along with raising the trackbar bracket a couple of inches its brings the trackbar and drag link back into parallel.

I am considering getting the synergy sector shaft brace but I am not sure if it works with a JKS trackbar.

Or if it breaks i'll put on a stock pitman and try the draglink flip that everyone raves about.

Last edited:

twoxstreem

that's funny. also drop brackets don't offer "better articulation", it's probably the bracket bending and flexing.

Ha, it could be bending but I doubt it.

I wasn't intending to make it sound like the brackets are some secret key to getting "max flex" or anything just that it allows short LCA's to articulate during normal driving better than a short LCA at a more aggressive angle.

Yes the drop pitman is a no-no but I've been running it fine for 30,000 mi now.

Last edited:

linehand08

I have had the gen one BDS long arm on my jk and for mild wheeling its great the ride is pretty good on/off road. Been all over Reno the Rubicon and such, it has performed well, but I hit the frame brackets all the time and its getting old so for me I'm upgrading to the EVO high clearance kit with the DTD front and back because my off road habits are out growing the lift and 37s.

ozzie

Wow I would like to thank you all for your write ups. I would have to say I am going to stick with EVO Enforcer and Rancho shocks. I only asked about the BDS because some say it's great. So I wanted to ask the forums opinion before I make a move. Thanks all

twoxstreem

Wow I would like to thank you all for your write ups. I would have to say I am going to stick with EVO Enforcer and Rancho shocks. I only asked about the BDS because some say it's great. So I wanted to ask the forums opinion before I make a move. Thanks all

No problem. good luck.

Those BDS control arms look awesome. What kind of coating is used ?

Fwiw, spend the $300 or so on a EVO drag link flip and scrap the DPA.

twoxstreem

Looks like rattle can..maybe satin finish

Thanks for the recommendation.

Definitely not rattle can. The photo was lightened up because the original was dark. Which is why it might appear that way

I am not sure of the finish but it has a powder coat look and feel.

This is the original photo. Their new arms are legit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413768562.448584.jpg

Top Bottom