Bead locks

ThatJeepGuy

Hutchinson wheels are super easy to mount at home and they are an internal double bead lock instead of just an external outer bead lock which is nice. However they are a major PITA to dismount

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

Hutchinson wheels are super easy to mount at home and they are an internal double bead lock instead of just an external outer bead lock which is nice. However they are a major PITA to dismount

People keep posting this everywhere, but I don't know where they are getting it from. With a large tire iron and a wooden block, I found Hutchinson Rock Monsters to be the EASIEST wheels to dismount the tires from at home. I never had to break front and rear beads on a machine, and could pull the back of the rim out without having to drive into the auto shop and use the machine. I couldn't easily break and dismount Racelines, Machete's, or Trail Ready's at home using just a tire iron and muscle.

That said, if you rock crawl enough, you'll run into the same problem I did. I cracked the face on several of the wheels when the chips got big enough. The lack of a protecting ring on the outside face really ended up being a weak point for the way I wheel. Your mileage may vary. Hutchinson replaced a wheel face for me under warranty. I broke another one the next trip out and bought Racelines. I'm in love with the look of the Hutchinsons, but I can't have nice things I guess.

IMG_6330.jpg
IMG_6329.jpg

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

People keep posting this everywhere, but I don't know where they are getting it from. With a large tire iron and a wooden block, I found Hutchinson Rock Monsters to be the EASIEST wheels to dismount the tires from at home. I never had to break front and rear beads on a machine, and could pull the back of the rim out without having to drive into the auto shop and use the machine. I couldn't easily break and dismount Racelines, Machete's, or Trail Ready's at home using just a tire iron and muscle.

That said, if you rock crawl enough, you'll run into the same problem I did. I cracked the face on several of the wheels when the chips got big enough. The lack of a protecting ring on the outside face really ended up being a weak point for the way I wheel. Your mileage may vary. Hutchinson replaced a wheel face for me under warranty. I broke another one the next trip out and bought Racelines. I'm in love with the look of the Hutchinsons, but I can't have nice things I guess.

View attachment 310494
View attachment 310493

This begs the question of which wheel has the best warranty too

Tanktitan

View attachment 310494
View attachment 310493

Interesting break. Any idea what your psi was at the time of the break? I take it from the picture that the bead held.

fiend

Caught the Bug

View attachment 310494
View attachment 310493

Wow. Maybe ok for airing down in sand, but weak design for rocks.

mallavoider

View attachment 310494
View attachment 310493

This is exactly what is happening to me right now. I busted a valve steam on the trail just the other day because the lack of a protecting ring. For this reason I will discount this brand from my list. Thank you for the input and pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster3479

This begs the question of which wheel has the best warranty too

Great point. The guy at Hutchinson was super nice, professional, and I had a new wheel face without having to beg or complain within 3 days. Really good customer service, easy warranty transaction.

Interesting break. Any idea what your psi was at the time of the break? I take it from the picture that the bead held.

I used to always run the Toyo R/T's at 9 psi offroad. They had super squishy sidewalls, so people always joked / assumed I was below 5. Yes, the bead held even with part of the rim face missing!

Wow. Maybe ok for airing down in sand, but weak design for rocks.

They were fine for mild rock crawling, and plenty of other trail use at Windrock and Rausch. I cracked this face in a pretty bad situation where I was stuck on a climb between a rock on the driver's side slider, and this wheel on the passenger side. The only way out was to drive forward. I also bent my EVO driver's side slider into the body getting out. I'm sure I could have picked better lines.

If the one I'm looking at is still there at the end of this year, I'm thinking of getting a CJ-7 to drive around town and maybe for trail use with friends that are less built. I'm so in love with the Hutchinson look that I'd consider putting them on the CJ-7 after having broke them on our JKU. I just wouldn't take them back to red's at Rausch.

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

Just got a helluva deal on some trail gear beadlocks IMG_0022.jpg now I need some tires because the 37/12.50 All terrain tires don’t belong on beadlocks but they can be winter tires on stock wheels I guess

jesse3638

Hooked
Just got a helluva deal on some trail gear beadlocks View attachment 313960 now I need some tires because the 37/12.50 All terrain tires don’t belong on beadlocks but they can be winter tires on stock wheels I guess

What do you mean they don't belong on bead locks? It's my understanding you can run what ever tie you'd like on bead locks. The difference will come in the thickness of the bead on the tire though.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ThatJeepGuy

What do you mean they don't belong on bead locks? It's my understanding you can run what ever tie you'd like on bead locks. The difference will come in the thickness of the bead on the tire though.

Okay okay so yes plenty of people do put ATs on beadlocks but in my opinion if you’re wheeling hard enough to justify beadlocks probably should also have a tire geared more toward off road vs street and light trail use. Again this is all just my opinion

jesse3638

Hooked
Pretty sure he just means the look of it.

Okay okay so yes plenty of people do put ATs on beadlocks but in my opinion if you’re wheeling hard enough to justify beadlocks probably should also have a tire geared more toward off road vs street and light trail use. Again this is all just my opinion

Yeah I took it too literal I guess..haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom