Bent frame...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So the striking vehicles insurance company is gonna wanna pay the least amount of money, which idk what the cost is for the frame straightening runs, but if I was you, I would push their company to spring for a new frame and call it a day. Before I had my JK, had an XJ that was rear-ended, frame bent and body knocked 3 inches from frame. Striking vehicles insurance company paid for a new frame. No issues. Fast forward two months later, my XJ took a hit parked out front of my house. Frame bent. This time, insurance paid for the frame to be straightened and I took it. Road and Highway no issues. Of road, noticeable problems. Push for the frame man.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

XJ is unibody....

USMC Wrangler

So the striking vehicles insurance company is gonna wanna pay the least amount of money, which idk what the cost is for the frame straightening runs, but if I was you, I would push their company to spring for a new frame and call it a day. Before I had my JK, had an XJ that was rear-ended, frame bent and body knocked 3 inches from frame. Striking vehicles insurance company paid for a new frame. No issues. Fast forward two months later, my XJ took a hit parked out front of my house. Frame bent. This time, insurance paid for the frame to be straightened and I took it. Road and Highway no issues. Of road, noticeable problems. Push for the frame man.

Your XJ is a target! [emoji44]

Just thought I would add some feedback after a few months of running with my repaired frame...
Back in the beginning of July, I got the jeep back. The shop gave me a printout of the specs before and after the frame was pulled. It was out of spec about 3/4 of an inch in a couple places toward the front of the frame before they straightened it.
I got under the jeep with a tape measure and the frame rail is symmetrical from the center of the jeep. The passenger front coil bucket is back in line with the spring perch on the axle. The door gap is even all around the jeep now after being about 1/4” bigger on the driver side.

I’ve been out about 25 times since then. Utah and Colorado. Lots of rocks. Definitely put the full weight of the jeep on the frame a couple times on Spring Creek in Colorado and on Moab Rim. Definitely had at least one memorable hard fall off of a rock onto the frame rail...
She’s not a daily driver, but I do drive to trails. Utah and back a few times doing 85 with no noticeable issues.

In fifteen years when I jump off a dune onto a boulder and fold my jeep in half, I will repost and change my stance on the matter, but for now I am confident in this repair. Would recommend this solution to someone in a similar situation. Definitely would NOT have had it repaired if it was bent much further though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jjlong

Glad to hear the shop did a quality repair! And them giving you the before and after printouts tells me they're confident in their repair. When considering to straighten a frame rail, the shop must consider the difference between a bend vs. kink. A bend will pull out nicely while a kink will never pull out completely and will be weak in that spot. A diamond condition where a good portion of one side of the frame is pushed backwards = replace no matter what!

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Just thought I would add some feedback after a few months of running with my repaired frame...
Back in the beginning of July, I got the jeep back. The shop gave me a printout of the specs before and after the frame was pulled. It was out of spec about 3/4 of an inch in a couple places toward the front of the frame before they straightened it.
I got under the jeep with a tape measure and the frame rail is symmetrical from the center of the jeep. The passenger front coil bucket is back in line with the spring perch on the axle. The door gap is even all around the jeep now after being about 1/4” bigger on the driver side.

I’ve been out about 25 times since then. Utah and Colorado. Lots of rocks. Definitely put the full weight of the jeep on the frame a couple times on Spring Creek in Colorado and on Moab Rim. Definitely had at least one memorable hard fall off of a rock onto the frame rail...
She’s not a daily driver, but I do drive to trails. Utah and back a few times doing 85 with no noticeable issues.

In fifteen years when I jump off a dune onto a boulder and fold my jeep in half, I will repost and change my stance on the matter, but for now I am confident in this repair. Would recommend this solution to someone in a similar situation. Definitely would NOT have had it repaired if it was bent much further though.

It’s awesome they gave you the printout. Very few shops will disclose that. I know my shop does and customers are always surprised to find that in their folder. As said above, a bend is doable but the moment it gets a crease in it, you’re done.

Frame swaps aren’t fun, especially on Silverado 3500s. Ask me how I know [emoji854]

It’s awesome they gave you the printout. Very few shops will disclose that. I know my shop does and customers are always surprised to find that in their folder. As said above, a bend is doable but the moment it gets a crease in it, you’re done.

Frame swaps aren’t fun, especially on Silverado 3500s. Ask me how I know [emoji854]

Oof that sounds like a big job! And yea I was grateful that it was fixable I didn’t have to go that route. Already took so long just to have it straightened. Agonizing couple months...got a bit more mountain biking in though now that I think about it haha.

Top Bottom