Best ball joints for a 2017 Rubicon on 37's with 50k miles?

DaBank

I have a 5" lift so I need to do the flip.
There is a few people making aluminum steering components and obviously the tie rod ends would be the weak link. I wonder if these companies are using the same brand tie rods?
I am not understanding what you had to do with the zerk fittings......do you have any pictures?
Thanks

NAZ Jeeper

See the nubs where the grease zirks thread into the bottom ball joint (red arrow). The receiver you use on top of the knuckle which I circled doesn’t provide enough clearance for the nubs. It is the OEM brand. You have to use this tapered adaptor so you can put direct force on the ball joint.

Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• 4DFE02EE-B742-466D-9B8F-CEE6A49DA73D.jpeg
    4DFE02EE-B742-466D-9B8F-CEE6A49DA73D.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2ED3067A-CF51-463E-A29D-612E6F6E2B17.jpeg
    2ED3067A-CF51-463E-A29D-612E6F6E2B17.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 12

Kenney

I replaced my BJ at 28k and I used Teraflex. First time and It was pretty easy just watch their video. I bought a BJ press from Harbor Freight and used a large socket not the fancy tampered tool, just line up the fittings and make sure they seat flush it just a c-clamp press nothing fancy . My jeep steering never felt better.
You can borrow a BJ press from your local parts store because you will never need it again.

P.S. If you can do your own brakes you can do this.

Attachments

• BJ.png
    BJ.png
    858.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DaBank

I replaced my BJ at 28k and I used Teraflex. First time and It was pretty easy just watch their video. I bought a BJ press from Harbor Freight and used a large socket not the fancy tampered tool, just line up the fittings and make sure they seat flush it just a c-clamp press nothing fancy . My jeep steering never felt better.
You can borrow a BJ press from your local parts store because you will never need it again.

P.S. If you can do your own brakes you can do this.
What aluminum tie rod is that? Do you have a aluminum drag link also?
I am going to buy a new tie rod and drag link also.

DaBank

I friend has a new set (5 years old) Dynatrac Balljoints that he will sell me cheap.
Has Dynatrac made any changes or updates to their ball joints the last 5 years or would they be the same as the current ones?
Thanks

Attachments

• received_470454688312325.jpeg
    received_470454688312325.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
  • received_1018245988829721.jpeg
    received_1018245988829721.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 7

Kenney

What aluminum tie rod is that? Do you have a aluminum drag link also?
I am going to buy a new tie rod and drag link also.
DaBank, I went with Barns Alum 1 ton Tie Rod and Drag Link ($500), I reamed out the Steering Knuckle at the wheel with a Tapered Reamer and Relocated my Drag Link higher on the axle to accommodate the Lift. Replaced the Ball Joints (Teraflex) and So VERY happy with how well the Jeeps handles. My other 3 Jeep buddies drove it and were also impressed. If you do decide to go with Barns be very carful to make sure the Tie Rod is on center exact"
The Rod ends are GM 1 ton OS2234, The RE is sealed real nice keeping the grease contained they are inexpensive. 20220609_154639.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom