Best time of year for Moab?

jedifletch

I’m new to Wayalife but have been loving reading various threads. We are headed out west from MO this summer. Big RV trip and taking the Jeep with us. It’ll be me, the wife, our two kids (10 and 7) and the dog. We will be in the Moab area in early August. After reading this thread, I realize we will be dealing with heat (expected) but due to school schedules for kids and wife is a teacher, and kids’ softball/baseball schedules, we were kind of relegated to July and early August.

This is also the first Jeep (JLUR, 2” lift, 35” tires) we have owned. I’m certainly not looking at getting onto any trails that are above my currently limited skill set, but we would like to explore a little bit. Especially something the kids would be able to remember and be excited about. My wife and I are getting some off-road experience through the help of friends, local Jeep club, and considering an actual off-roading course. I anticipate that by the time we make our trip, we should at least have some comfort level to accomplish a few trails out there.

Any recommendations on trails for a beginner in and around the Moab area? Ones that would not scare the socks off my wife?

We’ll be staying at the Moab KOA Holiday.

Ddays

Hooked
I’m new to Wayalife but have been loving reading various threads. We are headed out west from MO this summer. Big RV trip and taking the Jeep with us. It’ll be me, the wife, our two kids (10 and 7) and the dog. We will be in the Moab area in early August. After reading this thread, I realize we will be dealing with heat (expected) but due to school schedules for kids and wife is a teacher, and kids’ softball/baseball schedules, we were kind of relegated to July and early August.

This is also the first Jeep (JLUR, 2” lift, 35” tires) we have owned. I’m certainly not looking at getting onto any trails that are above my currently limited skill set, but we would like to explore a little bit. Especially something the kids would be able to remember and be excited about. My wife and I are getting some off-road experience through the help of friends, local Jeep club, and considering an actual off-roading course. I anticipate that by the time we make our trip, we should at least have some comfort level to accomplish a few trails out there.

Any recommendations on trails for a beginner in and around the Moab area? Ones that would not scare the socks off my wife?

We’ll be staying at the Moab KOA Holiday.

Stop over at the wave thread and say hey.
Then check out this thread. https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/58580-EAST-Meets-WEST-August-2020-Moab-Telluride-Planning-Thread

Lots of different Jeeps going. I'm sure you could jump in on a run or two. Not everything is gonna be a white knuckle run. :thumb:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
We had to cancel our May trip, I want to book now for maybe September or October. They say these are still busy months. Seems like a flip of the coin whether it will be or not. I would think many folks who had to cancel will be thinking same as me. I don't care to vacation with big crowds. I also do not want to sit in long Jeep lines on trails. You folks who live out that way, what is your opinion?

desertrunner

I went 2 years ago in August and saw maybe 3 jeeps total on the 4 trails I ran. Now August can be hot and the first day we were there it was 105 but it rained the second day and the rest of the week was in the 70-80s and beautiful.
Not sure if it was because it was mid week or if August everyone thought it would be too hot. Either way it was surprisingly dead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

DaJudge

We had to cancel our May trip, I want to book now for maybe September or October. They say these are still busy months. Seems like a flip of the coin whether it will be or not. I would think many folks who had to cancel will be thinking same as me. I don't care to vacation with big crowds. I also do not want to sit in long Jeep lines on trails. You folks who live out that way, what is your opinion?

If you come out the end of September beginning of October you will also get to see the fall leaves; Aspen and Cottonwoods mostly (and yes they aren't as amazing as the NE or Midwest). Still a nice bonus. The only time I have seen huge lines on the trails is when there is a big event (EJS). Check the weeks you are thinking and avoid any huge events that are scheduled. Also even when there are events if your flexible you can choose trails that aren't crowded.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I am trying to book for end of September. Having never stayed in Moab, I am a little weary on booking a place to close to town. We do not need to go out to eat every night. Plan to buy groceries and stock the place we stay.
We plan to pretty much do all day Jeeping and or hiking for six days in the grand area. I had booked a nice RV in a desolated spot for last May, but after the past couple of months I am thinking I do not want to stay in a trailer for six days. Considering bungalow or condo. In the $180 a day range. Any suggestions very welcome.

MericaMade

I am trying to book for end of September. Having never stayed in Moab, I am a little weary on booking a place to close to town. We do not need to go out to eat every night. Plan to buy groceries and stock the place we stay.
We plan to pretty much do all day Jeeping and or hiking for six days in the grand area. I had booked a nice RV in a desolated spot for last May, but after the past couple of months I am thinking I do not want to stay in a trailer for six days. Considering bungalow or condo. In the $180 a day range. Any suggestions very welcome.
Go on VRBO. I booked a 3 bedroom condo for upcoming Moab trip across from KOH park for 99 a night.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, a lot of us are in the Tierra Del Sol condos there in Moab. Very reasonable

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom