Bilstein shock install help!

Red_rox_jk

At least give it a shot. While you have the shock back out. Post us a picture between the provided vs stock bushings please.

JKbrick

Is the threaded stud on the new shock shorter than the shock you took off? Also are all 4 new rubber bushings the same thickness? Maybe there are a thick and thin one for each side, I've seen that before

MSmitty

At least give it a shot. While you have the shock back out. Post us a picture between the provided vs stock bushings please.

I will. I had to take a break for a bit. I'm dead tired from the lift. I'll post them up when I take them out.

Jkratt

I have Bilsteins on a 2 1/2 inch budget boost and have at least a bolt height of thread above the tightened bolt. That is with the bushings flush with the outside diameter of the washers. I would check the web to make sure they gave you the right shocks. It just doesn't seem right.

WJCO

Meme King
Pull on the shock shaft and see if you can get it out of the shock body more, you shouldn't have to with the bilsteins, but who knows

Also I would run them without the boots. Everyone has their own opinion, and I ran boots for years, but have recently changed my opinion on them. I pulled my front boots off of my wj, the shocks were less than a year old and there was muddy water stuck inside.

MSmitty

First off, thank you to everyone for your quick and detailed help! This is the reason Wayalife is such a great forum. I ended up using the stock bushings and took the "boot holder" or whatever it's called off and then there was plenty of space. We tightened it as much as possible with the rod and then finished off with tools. I think our issue was a combination of lack of sleep and build that turned into 14 hours. They are both on now and it's driving great! I'll post up some pics in my Hawaii Build thread tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone. Your pictures and insights got this done today!

tinman760

I had the same problem. I just reused the stock rubber bits. Mine were in great shape. Glad you got er figger'd out. :beer:

Top Bottom