Black Bear Pass... too much hype?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Heading back to Ouray in July 2018 for a buddy's 40th birthday party. I love that part of Colorado a lot. These are great pictures everyone is posting. I agree about Telluride and Ouray being very different towns. Telluride was a nice place to stop for lunch, but Ouray was where it was at. Everyone seemed friendlier... less crowded, more of a small town vibe. Lake City was a very cool town as well.

Now I just need to decide if I want to make the trip in the Jeep or my Tacoma... :D

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Take the jeep, let's do Blackbear &surrounding passes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last time I was in Ouray I took the Jeep. With no AC I thought bringing no doors would be a good idea... it wasn't. LOL

Honestly the million dollar highway I find worse. One wrong move at speed and its game over

Yep.... kind of terrifying when a class A motorhome is coming at you hugging the inside line and there's a huge drop on your side. If that RV comes across the line you either hit him head on or go over the edge... both bad choices. lol

Diesel_Ranger

I would agree that Million Dollar is more of gamble on any given day than either pass. Especially with folks very unfamiliar with mountain roads and trying to gawk the whole time as well :crazyeyes:

I believe some of the hype is generated by San Miguel county, as there are very reluctant to keep the pass open to wheeled travel (and also do not allow OHVs) due to the time it takes their emergencies crews when someone does make a mistake. Because the trail itself is very non technical, and offers a convenient road from Ouray to Telluride that is not Ophir Pass, which is truly just a seasonal road.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Planning a trip next summer to take my son to Mt Rushmore. After reading this I think our trip home is going through Colorado :clap2:

black pearl

Hooked
Came across this old CW McCall song I forgot about - 'Black Bear Road'. Listened to the old 'Convoy ' album from the mid 70's on Amazon Prime the other day and this gem popped up. I had forgotten all about it! Here's the link on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5A5MPDUvg

Here's another funny one from the same album - CJ5 with 4-wheel drive. Funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UNFEiQPys

Good songs!! I grew up listening to him with my dad.

boardsurfer

We went about a mile-and-a-half in about four hours,
busted off the right front fender, tore a hole in the oil pan on a rock as big as a hall closet.
Went over a bump and spilt the kool-aid and
Ene stuck his bolo knife right through the convertible top
and the dog threw up all over the back seat. peanut butter don't agree with him, you see.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Sounds about right.

Top Bottom