Blackstone Grill

Brute

Hooked
Breakfast of French Toast (made with King’s Hawaiian Bread), bacon, and ground sausage patties. The eggs are from our friends farm and the sausage is from the pastured hog we bought last year. Delicious!

View attachment 405887
I used to make french toast in Hawaii all the time with Kings...we would get the unsliced loaves to slice thick ...

NPC 6060⁸42

Is there a lot of lard when you get a hog from Whiffletree? Also do they cure the sides? The differences between the heritage hogs and store bought is huge. Pasture raised makes a big difference as well.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Is there a lot of lard when you get a hog from Whiffletree? Also do they cure the sides? The differences between the heritage hogs and store bought is huge. Pasture raised makes a big difference as well.

The heritage breeds have more fat and that fat is better distributed. Fat is where the flavor come from. Modern genetically manipulated pork is too lean IMHO and does not contain the natural flavors and is very easy to overcook. Over cooked pork is sad! 😢 🤣

The bacon is uncured- it is delicious and is not salty like cured bacon. They have a Farm Store on the premises and I recommend a visit if you can. They are often part of the county Farm Tour.

NPC 6060⁸42

Oh I know heritage hogs we used to raise Guinea hogs. They are considered a lard hog which makes them insanely delicious but they are very slow growing. We tried crossing them with a Berkshire boar. He ended up getting territorial and attacked one of our cows then he went after my daughter as his last act alive.
Currently we have a kun kun in the freezer but wasn’t happy with the butcher. I’ll definitely take a ride over to Whiffletree.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh I know heritage hogs we used to raise Guinea hogs. They are considered a lard hog which makes them insanely delicious but they are very slow growing. We tried crossing them with a Berkshire boar. He ended up getting territorial and attacked one of our cows then he went after my daughter as his last act alive.
Currently we have a kun kun in the freezer but wasn’t happy with the butcher. I’ll definitely take a ride over to Whiffletree.
You like to wait a long time for your pork lol

Kune kune and guineas.

NPC 6060⁸42

You like to wait a long time for your pork lol

Kune kune and guineas.
Yeah those damn guinea hogs took over two years to get big enough to mess with. We got rid of all the hogs after the Berkshire. The Kune kune is a local farmer I bought him full grown Ready to go to the butcher.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah those damn guinea hogs took over two years to get big enough to mess with. We got rid of all the hogs after the Berkshire. The Kune kune is a local farmer I bought him full grown Ready to go to the butcher.
Yup. That’s a lot of feed. I have an IPP feeder now which is the kune cross. I don’t think I’ll raise anymore. I’ll stick to my old spots.

Top Bottom