Blanca Peak 27 June

Otzy

I won't be able to join ya,

but out of curiosity what do your rigs look like? Im wondering whats needed to get up Blanca as i haven't been there since i was quite young.

Im wondering if it could be done with 2.5" of lift and 35" tires on a JK. no lockers sadly.

If you guys plan on going later in the year let me know!

Rooster jk

but out of curiosity what do your rigs look like? Im wondering whats needed to get up Blanca as i haven't been there since i was quite young.

Im wondering if it could be done with 2.5" of lift and 35" tires on a JK. no lockers sadly.

I've never been up it but was planning this summer...I run 2.5 lift 35s but I have lockers.

ForumRunner_20140601_203249.jpg

ak49

i might join. ill get back with ya soon. where you coming from? might have three rigs from amarillo tx

I'm going to pick up my jeep from ORE on the 20th. Going to spend the weekend in Vegas then spend 3-4 days in Moab on my way to Blanca Peak. I'm going to be heading to Amarillo on the 30th.

Attachments

• Tire Carrier 2.jpg
    Tire Carrier 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 113

ak49

I attached a picture of mine in the previous post. I had 35"s before, but had lockers. I've heard of guys with 32's make it up, but they had other jeeps to help them up a few spots. This will be my first time up Blanca Peak as well so I'm not really sure if you'd be alright to make it up without any assistance.

sfrubicon

I've run this trail, it's really good and you should be fine with a 4 door in 35 and lockers. Really comes down to how much snow is still on the trail. A buddy of mine is scouting it tomorrow and I can relay what he says for you guys.

sfrubicon

From my buddy's report

Trail is clear all the way to como. Light snow bashing will take you further if you choose to. The trail is wetter than normal due to all the runoff but no snow on the trail up to Como. As usual there is water pooled at the top of Jaws2. This will make it more difficult if you take the high side and you don't have lockers/decent belly clearance. There was also water running just below the rocks before the obstacle. So at this point, you can expect wet tires for that obstacle.

Also, with the recent runoff it seems some of the rocks have grown a bit. Not really on the named obstacles, but the washout has made some of the un-named rocks on the trail more pronounced. Enjoy!

ak49

From my buddy's report

Trail is clear all the way to como. Light snow bashing will take you further if you choose to. The trail is wetter than normal due to all the runoff but no snow on the trail up to Como. As usual there is water pooled at the top of Jaws2. This will make it more difficult if you take the high side and you don't have lockers/decent belly clearance. There was also water running just below the rocks before the obstacle. So at this point, you can expect wet tires for that obstacle.

Also, with the recent runoff it seems some of the rocks have grown a bit. Not really on the named obstacles, but the washout has made some of the un-named rocks on the trail more pronounced. Enjoy!

Thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to this trail.

sfrubicon

No problem, there is a group from wrangler forum doing this trail also, I'm seeing if I can swing it but the SET THEM FREE off-road event starts that day and I'm running holy cross in the morning.

ak49

do you know if it's possible to sign up and just do runs on saturday and sunday? I noticed that it said some of the runs (holy cross) would be very limited. how do you know what runs are still open?

sfrubicon

Yeah you can sign up on there website or Facebook, set them free off-road, they should still be open. We'll be running holy cross on sat and chinamans on Sunday. We went last year it's great.

Rooster jk

We are going on the 18th to run Blanca and medano pass. There is four rigs from Amarillo. Camping at sand dunes.

sfrubicon

I don't know if medona is open, I had heard the forest service closed it because of all the rain and snow melt, might want to check with them

ak49

I don't know if medona is open, I had heard the forest service closed it because of all the rain and snow melt, might want to check with them

When you ran Blanca Peak, did you go up and then come back down or did you camp out? Could the trail be completed in 4-5 hours (up and then back down)?

sfrubicon

I camped a couple days and I was by myself, it took me an hour up and 30 min down, the biggest issue is that it's one way, so I would suggest going early in the morning to make sure no one is coming down and then waiting until say 4 to come down just to make sure you don't get trapped, I haven't figured out ware you would go if you met someone coming the opposite way because once you it jaws 1 there is no turn around or bypass until lake como

Top Bottom