Brake noise BS

jeeeep

Hooked
I pulled the caliper off, checked the brakes and the only thing I found was odd was that the inner pad had a pretty good scoring mark where the caliper piston is sitting and it looks like it may be moving up and down based on the marks? I pulled the slider pins, cleaned them and reapplied lube. Noise is the same. I’ve got new rear sway bar links to install next and will see if that changes anything. I’m going to check the suspension bushings and fix the upper coil seat next.
View attachment 358196 View attachment 358197

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would seat the coil properly and remove the sway bar links for a test drive.

after watching the video a few times the noise sounds in sync with the up/down motion of the wheel, not rotational.

Is it an optical illusion or are your shocks mounted at an odd angle? have you checked the shock mount ends to see if anything there shows signs of rubbing or loose bolts?

I'd rebuild the caliper but would rule it out as your source of the noise. you would feel that in the braking (caliper slap if it was sticking) or it would feel like it was dragging and would most likely smell the heated brake pad.

Colorado4x4

I would seat the coil properly and remove the sway bar links for a test drive.

after watching the video a few times the noise sounds in sync with the up/down motion of the wheel, not rotational.

Is it an optical illusion or are your shocks mounted at an odd angle? have you checked the shock mount ends to see if anything there shows signs of rubbing or loose bolts?

I'd rebuild the caliper but would rule it out as your source of the noise. you would feel that in the braking (caliper slap if it was sticking) or it would feel like it was dragging and would most likely smell the heated brake pad.

Thanks for the help. I’m going to do the coil isolator and sway bar links next. Probably won’t be until Friday.

Yea the noise just, I don’t know WTF. I’ve watched it too much and obviously don’t know what the hell is going on so I’ve just got to change one thing or two at a time and see if it goes away.

The shocks are not mounted at a strange angle. It’s an AEV 3.5” lift and I put on the EVO lower shock skids before the trip where the noise started. Just thought of that damn it. I’m going to pull those off and check the lower control arm and shock bushings. The sway bar links are toast and the new ones came in so I will install those too. Thanks for your help this shit is pissing me off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Colorado4x4

Noise is gone. Thanks for all the pointers!!! I replaced the rear sway bar links and pulled apart the left side brakes. I found a bunch of caked mud in the pad sliders. I replaced the sliders and regreased the slider pins and the noise is gone. I went on a 2 hour drive today and the noise did not come back. But a new damn noise popped up today! While turning right only. I think it is my exhaust heat shields because it makes a similar noise when I shift from park to drive and I’m stopped. I did climb under there today, put the parking brake on and chocked the wheels and the noise goes away when I push on the exhaust cross over, but I’m not sure if it is the same noise. I will clamp down the heat shields next. Theee noises are killing me. Does this noise sound like exhaust or some other BS?
https://youtu.be/TyFOwYRs5hI

https://youtu.be/Q-xdtUDhaRQ

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jeeeep

Hooked
Noise is gone. Thanks for all the pointers!!! I replaced the rear sway bar links and pulled apart the left side brakes. I found a bunch of caked mud in the pad sliders. I replaced the sliders and regreased the slider pins and the noise is gone. I went on a 2 hour drive today and the noise did not come back. But a new damn noise popped up today! While turning right only. I think it is my exhaust heat shields because it makes a similar noise when I shift from park to drive and I’m stopped. I did climb under there today, put the parking brake on and chocked the wheels and the noise goes away when I push on the exhaust cross over, but I’m not sure if it is the same noise. I will clamp down the heat shields next. Theee noises are killing me. Does this noise sound like exhaust or some other BS?
https://youtu.be/TyFOwYRs5hI

https://youtu.be/Q-xdtUDhaRQ

May be 2 separate noises, the shift could be heat shield, mine did that for weeks until I shoved some wedges as a test and made it go away - use shims that can take the heat ...don't ask lol

The right turn sounds like a bent brake dust shield, dealt with that too after the first time I replaced axle shafts. Put the front on jack stands, remove the wheel so you could spin the rotor and look for rub marks on the dust shield. turning the rotor will also help you find where the bend and looking at the gap between the dust shield and rotor (or a bloody rock that won't drop out)

Colorado4x4

May be 2 separate noises, the shift could be heat shield, mine did that for weeks until I shoved some wedges as a test and made it go away - use shims that can take the heat ...don't ask lol

The right turn sounds like a bent brake dust shield, dealt with that too after the first time I replaced axle shafts. Put the front on jack stands, remove the wheel so you could spin the rotor and look for rub marks on the dust shield. turning the rotor will also help you find where the bend and looking at the gap between the dust shield and rotor (or a bloody rock that won't drop out)

Cool thanks. Hopefully you didn’t use a wooden door stop!!! I will check them both out. [emoji1303]

Top Bottom