Brake problems

tdougherty81

Would that be the cause of the E-brake light coming on too though? Or is it possibly a separate issue?

You happen to know how involved it would be to replace an ABS sensor?

This would all happen the month i have to get it inspected too......:banghead:
The symptoms you described were exactly what I had when a sensor went out. I would see what code it is throwing before anything to make sure. If it's a sensor they are easy to replace. Unplug and one bolt on the axle.

Ddays

Hooked
Would that be the cause of the E-brake light coming on too though? Or is it possibly a separate issue?

You happen to know how involved it would be to replace an ABS sensor?

This would all happen the month i have to get it inspected too......:banghead:

The rear sensors are a piece of cake to replace. Unplug it at the backing plate, take out a screw & that's it. I don't know how far up the wire goes to the next plug though if you need to replace it. Anyone know if there is another plug between the sensor and the engine bay or does
it go the whole way up?

Dempsey

The symptoms you described were exactly what I had when a sensor went out. I would see what code it is throwing before anything to make sure. If it's a sensor they are easy to replace. Unplug and one bolt on the axle.

forgive me if this is a dumb question.

But as i look for rear ABS parts, i'm only finding the sensors. No wiring harnesses. And it appears that the wiring harness seems to be the part that needs to be replaced.

And im afraid that wiring harness works its way all the way up into the jeep. And im most certainly not a wiring expert.

Dempsey

The rear sensors are a piece of cake to replace. Unplug it at the backing plate, take out a screw & that's it. I don't know how far up the wire goes to the next plug though if you need to replace it. Anyone know if there is another plug between the sensor and the engine bay or does
it go the whole way up?

^ exactly i should have read this before i posted my previous comment.

tdougherty81

it go the whole way up?

Between the frame and tub in the middle is a plug.

20170124_094635.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
That's what i was afraid of....

If I were you, just cut open the wire at the area it was crushed and see if the two copper wires are touching. If they are, you really only need to insulate one of them with heat shrink and then put it back together. It will cost you some time and maybe 1 dollar in parts if that's it. I just built an ABS harness for my axle swap. It is pretty easy and I covered it back up with corrugated tubing, you can't even tell.

1205161445.jpg

1205161448.jpg

Dempsey

If I were you, just cut open the wire at the area it was crushed and see if the two copper wires are touching. If they are, you really only need to insulate one of them with heat shrink and then put it back together. It will cost you some time and maybe 1 dollar in parts if that's it. I just built an ABS harness for my axle swap. It is pretty easy and I covered it back up with corrugated tubing, you can't even tell.

View attachment 240559

View attachment 240560

Thank you, and you too Tom. Thats exactly what im gonna do. Ill let you know how it goes!

Dempsey

View attachment 240559

View attachment 240560

Do you know what types of wire they are? Gauge? i think im going to have to extend mine a bit.

WJCO

Meme King
Do you know what types of wire they are? Gauge? i think im going to have to extend mine a bit.

It's like 20 or 22 gauge. It's really tiny. Mine was the front though, not the rear. I don't know if they're the same.

Dempsey

Might be more of a routing issue. Got any pictures?

Ok, no pictures because i am the worst at remembering to take pictures.

But we opened up that wiring harness to find no short. Wires were in pretty good shape. Even turned the car on and tried to get the ABS light to come back on by wiggling the wire around. No luck.

Next step is I am going to AutoZone or something to check for codes. Maybe its the sensor. But I am also going to look under and really check out all my other sensors.

I will take pictures....PROMISE

Side note. Anyone know what the minimum allowable thickness of a OEM brake rotor is?

tdougherty81

But we opened up that wiring harness to find no short. Wires were in pretty good shape. Even turned the car on and tried to get the ABS light to come back on by wiggling the wire around. No luck.

Next step is I am going to AutoZone or something to check for codes. Maybe its the sensor. But I am also going to look under and really check out all my other sensors.

Side note. Anyone know what the minimum allowable thickness of a OEM brake rotor is?

Yeah run the code. My bet is the sensor is bad, mine went out in my old jeep and gave me the same symptoms.

WJCO

Meme King

Sorry to hear you didn't find it, but at least you eliminated that part of it. I really thought that would be it for sure.

It will be stamped on the rotor. Sometimes you have to take it off though to see it or brush some rust off. I just looked on my old WJ axle, it's stamped on the hub of the rotor. If the JK is the same, just pulling the wheel off will show it. Sometimes it's stamped in the hat area, sometimes on the outer edge along the circumference.

DSC04708.JPG

Dempsey

Sorry to hear you didn't find it, but at least you eliminated that part of it. I really thought that would be it for sure.

It will be stamped on the rotor. Sometimes you have to take it off though to see it or brush some rust off. I just looked on my old WJ axle, it's stamped on the hub of the rotor. If the JK is the same, just pulling the wheel off will show it. Sometimes it's stamped in the hat area, sometimes on the outer edge along the circumference.

View attachment 240986

Thanks for the help! Gonna go take a look at it after work and running codes..

Feel like all i have been doing is trying to fix this thing when i really should be getting ready for my 35s!!!

Dempsey

Ok status update.

Tried to get codes, and it showed nothing, it even passed inspection :thumb:. But now i have noticed a common denominator. Whenever i turn to go park in my garage, which is a slow right turn that goes up quickly (where alot of cars bottom out) to get up to curb height, i get the ABS light, traction control light, and hill assist light. (reminder the wire that was crushed is the driver side rear)

I think im just gonna buy 4 new abs sensors and replace them depending on cost, cause i have no way of figuring out which one it is.... unless you guys have an idea.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok status update.

Tried to get codes, and it showed nothing, it even passed inspection :thumb:. But now i have noticed a common denominator. Whenever i turn to go park in my garage, which is a slow right turn that goes up quickly (where alot of cars bottom out) to get up to curb height, i get the ABS light, traction control light, and hill assist light. (reminder the wire that was crushed is the driver side rear)

I think im just gonna buy 4 new abs sensors and replace them depending on cost, cause i have no way of figuring out which one it is.... unless you guys have an idea.

Using an ohmmeter, measure both rears and both fronts. Rears should be the same as each other and fronts should be the same as each other. So if one of them is way off from the other, you'll know. You may be able to find specs somewhere to know what is correct or not, but at least that way you'll only have to replace 2 instead of 4 if you can't find specs. Also while measuring ohms, you could have a helper spin that same wheel and see if you're getting a reading. It should fluctuate up and down as the sensor ring passes the magnetic sensor on each tooth.

Top Bottom