Brake squeal like sound???

Wethy

Hello everyone every once in a while, while idling along in first gear I have a sound that comes from the front end that sounds like a caliper that's sticking but when ever I try to find the sound I have no luck replicating it. I have had both front tires off the ground(one at a time and both at the same time) and have spun the tires to see if it is indeed the brakes. The sound oscillates and comes and goes as I'm rolling along. It's not that loud but noticeable when the window is down and radio is off. And disappears when I get up to speed. I do have an aftermarket drive shaft, could that make a sound like in the title? I did just grease it so I wouldn't think it's that, but I'm lost as to what it could be? Any help or things you think it could be would be helpful

The driveshaft is a 1350 Adams with solid U joints for reference

WJCO

Meme King
Post some audio if you can. It could be as simple as rust on edge of rotor rubbing on pad or a sharp edge of pad rubbing on the rotor. A bent rear axle makes that sound too, and that would be easy to see the wheel wobble while running it in the air.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Post some audio if you can.
This

If it does it in 4lo, and that is when you are hearing it, it could simply be trail dust/dirt/debris between the rotor and pads :idontknow: Try spraying everything brake related down with brake cleaner, re grease the back of the pads, and see if that solves your problem?

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Hello everyone every once in a while, while idling along in first gear I have a sound that comes from the front end that sounds like a caliper that's sticking but when ever I try to find the sound I have no luck replicating it. I have had both front tires off the ground(one at a time and both at the same time) and have spun the tires to see if it is indeed the brakes. The sound oscillates and comes and goes as I'm rolling along. It's not that loud but noticeable when the window is down and radio is off. And disappears when I get up to speed. I do have an aftermarket drive shaft, could that make a sound like in the title? I did just grease it so I wouldn't think it's that, but I'm lost as to what it could be? Any help or things you think it could be would be helpful

The driveshaft is a 1350 Adams with solid U joints for reference

I have that same issue. I always thought it was just the brake pads rubbing on some rust or something. I have noticed though sometimes when I'm rolling with the clutch in, the jeep will almost come to a stop like the pads are engaging. If you find an issue please post it up.

Wethy

Post some audio if you can. It could be as simple as rust on edge of rotor rubbing on pad or a sharp edge of pad rubbing on the rotor. A bent rear axle makes that sound too, and that would be easy to see the wheel wobble while running it in the air.

I would if I could unfortunately( or maybe fortunately) I don't use my phone while driving and it happens randomly usually from a stop light and just in first gear beyond that no noise. And I don't have a way to check without help ha ha and no bent axle flange checked that this morning.

Wethy

This

If it does it in 4lo, and that is when you are hearing it, it could simply be trail dust/dirt/debris between the rotor and pads :idontknow: Try spraying everything brake related down with brake cleaner, re grease the back of the pads, and see if that solves your as far as I know it does it in 2wd so far haven't needed 4low yet since I began hearing the sound

Sullivan

Could be anything. I've always had some noise coming from backing plates. I wheel and get small rocks and dust in them. Or it could just be your brakes.

Wethy

I have that same issue. I always thought it was just the brake pads rubbing on some rust or something. I have noticed though sometimes when I'm rolling with the clutch in, the jeep will almost come to a stop like the pads are engaging. If you find an issue please post it up.

The brakes don't feeling like they' sticking on my jeep. And after a long drive one is not noticeably hotter than the other so it doesn't seem like they are sticking. And will do I did just check the brakes and they seems clean and greased but who knows

JeepFan

Hooked
I bet your front drive shaft double cardan joint needs to be lubed. Over time, the centering ball in the DC joint can dry up causing it to make a rotational squeaking sound.

Wethy

I bet your front drive shaft double cardan joint needs to be lubed. Over time, the centering ball in the DC joint can dry up causing it to make a rotational squeaking sound.

Ha ha I would agree and originally that was my first guess(and I figured after 5K I should grease it anyways) but I have done both the slip yoke end and the Needle grease fitting on the Centering ball last week and it's still doing it ha ha

JeepFan

Hooked
Ha ha I would agree and originally that was my first guess(and I figured after 5K I should grease it anyways) but I have done both the slip yoke end and the Needle grease fitting on the Centering ball last week and it's still doing it ha ha

I know this is a pain but, consider removing the front DS to see if the noise goes away. Noises like this drive me nuts, especially when they're difficult to pinpoint.

jeeeep

Hooked
have you pulled the wheels to inspect the brake pads? may be a build up of gunk on the caliper not allowing the brake pads to move smoothly or one of your inner brake pads is worn out. Check the rear brake pads as well, that squeal can travel and sound like it's the front

if you think it's the front DS, removing it and driving around will help you identify it.

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like a brake noise. Almost sounds like ebrake noise. Pull that and see if it changes. Check hub bearings for play too. Only other think I can think of is spray lube around axle ujoint to see if there is a dry spot.

Wethy

Sounds like a brake noise. Almost sounds like ebrake noise. Pull that and see if it changes. Check hub bearings for play too. Only other think I can think of is spray lube around axle ujoint to see if there is a dry spot.

I'll have to try that then it definitely sounds like the front but who knows the only thing I haven't done is pull the brakes completely apart. And I did check the bearings last week when I rotated my tires so that I can check off ha ha

Wethy

As an update to this thread I have pulled apart the front breaks and after throughly inspecting them it seems that ther was a bit of carbon build up that was between the slots on the pad. I pulled it out and have taken a couple short slow drives to see. So far I haven't heard anything but time will tell.
Here is a pic of the chunk of stuff in the pad.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474339148.750692.jpg

And on a funny side of things......

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474339275.271857.jpg
Poor little grass hopper.
Will update of that Little Rock is in fact not the noise I've been hearing

Wethy

Glad to hear it was something simple.

Hopefully. We'll see tomorrow. As it was an intermittent problem to begin with. But here's to hoping!

The death squeal of a dying grasshopper. How horrible!

Ha ha it obviously was the grasshopper and not the rock. He didn't like being stuck so he made noise to alert me he was stuck. But Alas I was too late! RIP grassy

Top Bottom