Brrrrr! Winter's here....how cold is your jeep?

Wardell

That's why I let mine stay in the garage on these cold nights! (-12 F)

I wish I had the option. Because I live in a really isolated place, it's very expensive to build anything so very few people have garages. Even most homes here are modulars that were trucked in from down south. At least it starts fine with the block heater plugged in, but it took at least 5 min for the engine to warm up. The interior... well, let's just say I was still seeing my breath when I was rolling into work. :gaah:

Winner!! :crazyeyes:

Can the prize be a trip for me and my Jeep to go somewhere tropical? Driving through a Jungle sounds like it'd be a lot of fun right about now...

RjSkippy

Can the prize be a trip for me and my Jeep to go somewhere tropical? Driving through a Jungle sounds like it'd be a lot of fun right about now...[/QUOTE]

Topical excursion sounds good right about now! Stay warm!

uechiyondan

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422911051.290954.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422911075.094741.jpg

Mile marker 68 hwy 1 Florida Keys Jimmy Buffet on the radio top off
Back home in Maine it is snowing 0 degrees not counting wind chill

RixJK9

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423262033.858676.jpg Central California.
Our state might not know how to Vote, but at least we've got great weather!

Wardell

So, the Jeep was telling me it was "only" -35° this morning, but the broken extension cord for my block heater proved that was a lie...

Snapped Extension Cord.jpg

Damn thing broke while I was unplugging it, and I didn't pull it out by the cord either. Some of the copper strands even snapped. I had noticed that it was starting to kink at the plug where it hangs down from the outlet, but I never expected anything like this. Two other people I work with had cords break on them this winter too, so at least I know I'm not the only one. And it's also a good thing it's just the extension cord and not the block heater's cord... that would have really sucked. From now on, I think I'll keep a spare cord handy.

And if you were wondering how cold it really is:

-38.jpg

Could be worse though. A few other vehicles parked around my building have been leaking. The guy who parks beside me had been driving nose in, but the past few days he's been backing in. From the red colour and location of the drips I'm thinking he has a transmission oil leak:

Leaking 1.jpg

You can even see how it was running out while he started to drive away.

Leaking 2.jpg

And then there's this big puddle in the fire lane, right in front of the door. I've seen a cab left idling there with no one in it a few times (I think the cabby lives in my building and left it running to stay warm while he waited inside for his next call).

Leaking 3.jpg

So, the Jeep was telling me it was "only" -35° this morning, but the broken extension cord for my block heater proved that was a lie...

View attachment 124021

Damn thing broke while I was unplugging it, and I didn't pull it out by the cord either. Some of the copper strands even snapped. I had noticed that it was starting to kink at the plug where it hangs down from the outlet, but I never expected anything like this. Two other people I work with had cords break on them this winter too, so at least I know I'm not the only one. And it's also a good thing it's just the extension cord and not the block heater's cord... that would have really sucked. From now on, I think I'll keep a spare cord handy.

And if you were wondering how cold it really is:

View attachment 124022

Could be worse though. A few other vehicles parked around my building have been leaking. The guy who parks beside me had been driving nose in, but the past few days he's been backing in. From the red colour and location of the drips I'm thinking he has a transmission oil leak:

View attachment 124023

You can even see how it was running out while he started to drive away.

View attachment 124024

And then there's this big puddle in the fire lane, right in front of the door. I've seen a cab left idling there with no one in it a few times (I think the cabby lives in my building and left it running to stay warm while he waited inside for his next call).

View attachment 124025

Time to invest in a more flexible extension cord I'd say. Try for one with a rubber PVC jacket not the cheaper yellow or orange plastic. Going from typical 18 Awg to 14 or even better 12 AWG gets you into a better manufactured cable that nice and "flexy" and making it yourself is easy and cheap to do

Wardell

Time to invest in a more flexible extension cord I'd say. Try for one with a rubber PVC jacket not the cheaper yellow or orange plastic. Going from typical 18 Awg to 14 or even better 12 AWG gets you into a better manufactured cable that nice and "flexy" and making it yourself is easy and cheap to do

Already picked up the new cords. A 2 m cord for at home (which is the right length to reach to a plug in on the driver's side, but too short to use where the plug is over on the passenger side), and a 10 m cord to stay in the Jeep for when I plug in at work or anywhere else (long enough that I can back in and it'll still reach). They're only 16 gauge, which is probably the same as my old one, but these are made for block heaters and rated to stay flexible down to -40°. Sad thing is there's still plenty of winter left to put that to the test...

New Cords.jpg

Top Bottom